Photography help.....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Just picked up my first DSLR Canon 10D (Thanks for the write up BTW aroundlsu I used your blog entry to decide) and I am really getting into this stuff. I have a plan next weekend to go to my old hood and take some pictures of the what I remember about moving into New Orleans. I lived off of Jackson ave so I was thinking about hitting up SLACK (on the corner of Jackson and Claiborne) and a few other places that stick out.

Any suggestions on the lens I should rent. I have a Nifty-Fifty Currently. I was thinking about renting one of these http://www.LensGiant.com/Rent_Canon_EF_17_40mm_f_4L_USM_p/c050.htm I am as green as it gets and I don't really want to rent more than two lenses so suggestions would be greatly appreciated....

I am probably going to be shooting mostly architecture.....

Last edited:

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    I'd go with the Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L USM but some say the Canon 17-55mm EF-S f/2.8 IS USM bc it's sharper. I would want the little extra length. I'd skip the 17-40 bc it's only a F/4

jmanrogers

SGT JMAN
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Alexandria
    I'd go with the Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L USM but some say the Canon 17-55mm EF-S f/2.8 IS USM bc it's sharper. I would want the little extra length. I'd skip the 17-40 bc it's only a F/4

I agree! Stay with the low f stops, and since most of your shots are probably going to be of landmarks, buildings, etc., either one of the lenses above would do you perfect. The 24-70mm or 17-55mm. Personally I would go with the 24-70mm. Hope this helps and good luck.

Rahllin

Geaux Tigers!
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I can offer you no help, just wanted to throw out the fact that I will probably be asking some of you guys for advice coming up soon. Just picked up a Nikon D3100 from BestBuy a couple hours ago, I know nothing other than that I want to eventually be able to take some good pictures when I want to and possibly make a hobby out of it.

MRBULLRED

Psalms 27: 1-3
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Ascension Parish
    We are gonna need a camera forum soon.. with all the camera talk, I also bought a new one.................. Sony A-55... so yall keep on asking questions so I can learn with yall..

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I can offer you no help, just wanted to throw out the fact that I will probably be asking some of you guys for advice coming up soon. Just picked up a Nikon D3100 from BestBuy a couple hours ago, I know nothing other than that I want to eventually be able to take some good pictures when I want to and possibly make a hobby out of it.

Nikon all the way! Bought a D80 3 years ago and it still runs circles around any price comparable cannon!

Aberdog1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Kansas
    A great website for reveiws on most slr/digita lcameras is.. kenrockwell.com. I have a Nikon D5000 and it's a pleasure to use. The D3100 is a great choice also.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I try to stay away from F4 lenses when I can especially on an older body like the 10d that doesn't have the newer high iso capabilities. I could rent you one or two of mine if you are going to anywhere around baton rouge.

I have the 24 1.4, 35 1.4, 50 1.2, 85mm 1.2, 100 2.8L macro, 135 f2, and 200 2.8. Also a 70-200 2.8 IS zoom which may be your best choice. My rate would be whatever the lensrental rate is.

bearfutedninja

coming soon
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    lafayette
    i have a sony a200 with a couple lenses and an external flash. really dont get to shoot as much as i like its more of something you have to plan and go do. its not something you can just do spur of the moment

Safari

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2007
    Just picked up my first DSLR Canon 10D (Thanks for the write up BTW aroundlsu I used your blog entry to decide) and I am really getting into this stuff. I have a plan next weekend to go to my old hood and take some pictures of the what I remember about moving into New Orleans. I lived off of Jackson ave so I was thinking about hitting up SLACK (on the corner of Jackson and Claiborne) and a few other places that stick out.

Any suggestions on the lens I should rent. I have a Nifty-Fifty Currently. I was thinking about renting one of these http://www.LensGiant.com/Rent_Canon_EF_17_40mm_f_4L_USM_p/c050.htm I am as green as it gets and I don't really want to rent more than two lenses so suggestions would be greatly appreciated....

I am probably going to be shooting mostly architecture.....

You don't need to rent anything. Use what you have and take the camera off of auto. Learn how to use all the settings in manual mode. Many of the best photographers use only one lens, I am not one of those.

Purchase a film camera all manual settings and get 10 rolls of cheap chinese B&W film from ebay and learn to shoot it and develop it, you do not have to wet print the negatives see Epson scanners below.

BTW do a search for light-room and download the free demo copy.
    A few sites to start you off.

Rangefinder cameras, film and Leica Digital, this is where you learn to shoot.
    http://www.rangefinderforum.com/modules.php?name=Jig

Digital:
    http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

4/3 Cameras. This may make you think twice about what you own. What is great about 4/3 Cameras they are small and can use a variety of lens. I use Leica LTM, Nikon, Cannon, and Russian lenses on mine. Think used. BTW Learn how to check a Lens for fungus and scratches.

http://www.mu-43.com/forum.php

General info on all Brands.
    http://forums.dpreview.com/

Go to the Epson site and get on their mailing list, read up on Epson Scanners V500, V700, V750 and printers R1900, R2800. Other models just depends on how deep your pockets are.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/index.do?ref=r0302ECb3Q&OVMTC=Exact&site=&creative=6096552312&OVKEY=epson%20store&s_kwcid=TC%7C6812%7Cepson%20store%7C%7CS%7Ce%7C6096552312&gclid=CLbFu7WEraYCFcqs7QodEmo4Zw

Go to Red River Paper and order a few sample packs of paper, do a search for a coupon to save money.

http://www.redriverpaper.com/

Get the biggest storage array you can afford, you will fill it up.

I conclude with Bruce Gliden, not architecture but an original:
    [YOUTUBE]dI-xKkCu3-c[/YOUTUBE]

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    I have really been happy with my f4 lens 17-40. It got the job done for a few years and I seldom shot above ISO800 with a 1D. I used that lens a lot.

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    Most colleges offer no-credit night courses.

My wife took a photography course at ULL a couple years ago. it was 2hrs every wed evening for like 3 months. Didn't cost much and really kicked her picture taking skills up a notch.

Best part, they worked with your camera and basically taught you how to use it better. Nikons were the most popular, followed by cannons. I have a sony AX300 but the instructor still managed to help her figure it out....

Top Bottom