Pin & Welding in NOLA area?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CJB1911

PEW PEW PEW
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Mar 16, 2010
    SWLA
    Anyone know of a gunsmith that can pin and weld a flash hider in the NOLA area?

Thanks!

Last edited:

baboonie

Now THAT'S a gunsight!
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Arizona
    uhhh what?

It's on multiple pages of the NFA handbook on the BATF website, but I cut and pasted this off of page 5:

"The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to
    the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device. Permanent methods of
    attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F) silver
    soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over. Barrels are measured by inserting a dowel rod
    into the barrel until the rod stops against the bolt or breech-face. The rod is then marked at the
    furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device, withdrawn from the barrel, and
    measured."

Full fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding = TIG, MIG, etc...
    High temp silver solder (1100 degrees) = silver brazing.

Hope this helps.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    It's on multiple pages of the NFA handbook on the BATF website, but I cut and pasted this off of page 5:

"The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to
    the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device. Permanent methods of
    attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F) silver
    soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over. Barrels are measured by inserting a dowel rod
    into the barrel until the rod stops against the bolt or breech-face. The rod is then marked at the
    furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device, withdrawn from the barrel, and
    measured."

Full fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding = TIG, MIG, etc...
    High temp silver solder (1100 degrees) = silver brazing.

Hope this helps.

I never realized that's how they measured. Not trying to hijack your thread, but I guess under that method of measurement, a revolver style rifle would include the length of the cylinder in the barrel.

baboonie

Now THAT'S a gunsight!
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Arizona
    I never realized that's how they measured. Not trying to hijack your thread, but I guess under that method of measurement, a revolver style rifle would include the length of the cylinder in the barrel.

Dunno, but that would make sense.

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    I used ADCO for my pin/weld job, but that was a few years ago. I dont know if anyone started doing it around here.

poor_shot

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    NOLA
    you shouldn't have a problem w/ BCM barrels from what i understand. i've never checked the threads on my AR's and threw the flash hider right on and put on the suppressor. i do look through the bore of the rifle w/ the suppressor on though to make sure there's no obvious obstruction.

Top Bottom