Pissed

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CenLa Commando

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Alexandria
    I am a Louisiana Resident and holder of a Florida Non-Resident Concealed Weapons Permit. First I would like to say I find it in very poor taste for not being notified by either Florida or Louisiana of the new money making law that Louisiana passed last year. I know I may be beating a dead horse but this burns my butt to no end. Secondly, i need some advice on two of my options... I refuse to get a CWP from Louisiana now because of their money making scam and also because they require way too much paperwork...divorce, Civil Legal actions ..It's B.S. that has nothing to do with if a person is eligible for a CWP. So my options are to keep my FL. Non-Resident and get a Texas Residency, because I work there more than 51% of the time or Open Carry in La.?
    Not a fan of open carry but if the state forces it upon me in a combination of me being hard headed and them being stupid, so be it. I would like helpful comments and not Smart-A$$ remarks..Thanks.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Why not just follow the law? The paperwork is easier than trying to circumvent the rules that are in place. Florida has no standards, so their permit is not honored, I prefer it it that way. It's a cheap 5 year pass, around $2 a month in the long run, not exactly a huge money making scam.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I think this was argued for several years before it was passed. I don't think LA really cares about the little bit of money they make on permits. LA wants their training requirements enforced. Since LA is a Napoleonic law state there are probably some differences in the laws, which you're not learning about with a FL nonresident permit. Its not that much difference in cost between LA and FL in the big scheme of things... Plus some of the extra money is going to support our local trainers and gun shops.

LaBelle

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Near Natchitoches
    The part I object to is the extra $50 you have to pay if you have not been a resident for the previous 15 years.

Horse hockey!! They use the same background check for everyone, punch in the name/ssn in the national database and voila! No extra legwork involved ( or so I believe, but I have been known to be wr..wro...wron....mistaken).

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I fell into the same category. The only reason I found out about it was because of this forum. Given the two options of open carrying or declaring residency in Texas I would definitely do the later. Texas doesn't have state income tax it is a win win situation.

CenLa Commando

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Alexandria
    Because it would take me a week going from courthouse to courthouse just to do the legal documentation. When you are divorced 3 times and have been subjected to several civil suits due to business, it gets a little time consuming. I am not trying to circumvent the rules, i am trying to weigh my options...Why do you have to have standards? They do require some training but if you are not prohibited from owning a firearm, they "shall" issue you a permit upon request, The way Louisiana should have to instead of having some yahoo in BR sift through your paperwork looking for a reason not to grant you a permit, then keep your money. I've seen people in La who are not prohibited from carrying a firearm who were disqualified by someone at LSP HQ. And it is a money making scam for all these people who "teach" this CWP class that is mandatory to the common civilian. Im sorry if you dont agree but I think that the right to bear arms should apply to everyone who is eligible to have a firearm and the ability to carry it concealed should be afforded to those who feel they need to, unrestricted. If you trust someone with a firearm, it shouldn't matter if it is hidden or in plain sight. Trust is Trust.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I am a Louisiana Resident and holder of a Florida Non-Resident Concealed Weapons Permit. First I would like to say I find it in very poor taste for not being notified by either Florida or Louisiana of the new money making law that Louisiana passed last year.

Why do you think that LA should have let you know? You don't even have a La CHP. It you're going to get pissed get pissed at Florida.
    I've had a La CHP for about 15 yrs and I didn't get a phone call. We have been talking about this for probably almost 2 yrs on BS.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    The part I object to is the extra $50 you have to pay if you have not been a resident for the previous 15 years.

Horse hockey!! They use the same background check for everyone, punch in the name/ssn in the national database and voila! No extra legwork involved ( or so I believe, but I have been known to be wr..wro...wron....mistaken).

From what I understand, it is not the same background check. They go extra far on people who haven't been in the state for that long, which means it incurs extra costs. So unless you want other people to cover your costs, you gotta pay for it.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    If you are in Texas 51% ofthe time, you qualify as a resident.

Register to vote in Texas, get a Texas drivers license and CHL. Aside from no open carry, Texas laws are much more reasonable than those of Louisiana.

I live in LA but keep TX CHL. I also have LA CHP; but, IMHO, Texas is much, much better.

leVieux

CenLa Commando

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Alexandria
    Well Excuse me for just finding out. I Have not been a member here long and I usually dont have time to read the forums, I mostly use the firearm classifieds. If you expect someone to live under a law you need to notify them of it. Hence the big signs on the interstate that have the speed posted. Every year when a law takes effect that will affect a large percent of the population, the news media or the LSP usually notify the public of it. I read the local news religiously and never saw this. Several folks who I know that have the Fla. Non-resident CWP had no clue until i called them and informed them. All have been carrying illegally unknowingly for almost a year. So yeah, I could have been imprisoned for not being informed.. So yeah, i think I the state should have informed me.

CenLa Commando

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Alexandria
    How would Louisiana inform me? They damn sure inform me every year of how much I owe them, surely they can figure out a way to inform me of this. And yeah Florida should put this info on their website as well.

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    I agree with most people here, I am all for the training. I understand having the right to carry but I also understand that there are idiots out there as well. People need to be informed of the laws and possible repercussions of their actions when they break said laws.

I understand your complaint, but it is not valid. The rule change was posted everywhere and even in some newspaper articles, IIRC. It is not on the state to burden themselves with notifying non-resident permit holders that they are no longer legal. The burden to follow the rules and laws falls on the carrier. Hence the whole thing about the class!!!

Top Bottom