Pistol lubrication and cleaning

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • number1roadie19

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    Its a personal choice IMO. I don't recommend using any kind of grease of a gun. Its messy and hard to clean off, also as the grease gets older it will accumulate dirt and other micro dust and becomes almost like an abrasive which can over time wear down the moving parts. Oil or Spray lubricant is what I use. I have a buddy who uses SAE40 and his pistols operate flawlessly. I don't recommend WD40. 3-in-1 oil or something like that is what I prefer. Lucas makes a gun oil and I've heard good things about it. Its all in what you prefer but grease of any kind I would advise against.

IlivnDaBoot!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2022
    SHREVEPORT
    Thanks sooooo much for the reply. It's been so long since I've owned and cleaned a gun that I feel like any new and relevant information is helpful.

javery5.0

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2023
    New Orleans La.
    Its a personal choice IMO. I don't recommend using any kind of grease of a gun. Its messy and hard to clean off, also as the grease gets older it will accumulate dirt and other micro dust and becomes almost like an abrasive which can over time wear down the moving parts. Oil or Spray lubricant is what I use. I have a buddy who uses SAE40 and his pistols operate flawlessly. I don't recommend WD40. 3-in-1 oil or something like that is what I prefer. Lucas makes a gun oil and I've heard good things about it. Its all in what you prefer but grease of any kind I would advise against.
    I’m the buddy using motor oil. Lol

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Yup to all the above… I will say it depends on what you lubing up.. lol some race guns or super tight 1911’s require a super slick thinner oil.. other strikerfires simple grease works.. aks I’ve even heard of tribes in Africa using bees wax on them when they actually clean them… as long as it’s slick lol

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I am the outlier here I guess. I use Weapon Shield on my pistols. Someone did a test a few years back and Weapon Shield was in the top 5 in protecting against the elements. I got a free dropper from them years ago and am still using it. Bought the grease to use on the ARs.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Dry film lube is good for a carry gun, as it will not attract dust or dirt.

Trans fluid is great, has all of the high pressure capabilities that gun parts need. Plus it is cheap, so no need to skimp.

I clean with some sort of gun cleaner lube stuff, whatever is available. Or brake cleaner, or oil of some sort. Or clp. Lots of q tips and rags to scrub or wipe. I do take most of the guns down to individual parts to throughly clean.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I’ve been using Weapon Shield for many years now and have been totally satisfied.

Their cleaner is great as well.

Attachments

• CDFDEB8F-CD77-48FA-8203-23A0D54616FB.jpeg
      CDFDEB8F-CD77-48FA-8203-23A0D54616FB.jpeg
      633.1 KB · Views: 35

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Ballistol is all I use on handguns. Grease is reserved for weapons that the original engineers designed for grease to be used on them such as Garands and M1 carbines.

Dave

landmancpl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2019
    Carencro
    Modified Ed's Red 50% Mobile 1/50% ATF.
    I agree, I use a mix of 50% Red Sticky grease with 50% ATF.... mixed to a honey consistency. Apply liberally to rails and slides. This grease oil mix coupled with polishing all rails and metal to metal part ALONG with polishing the chamber made even my worst failures to eject super smooth and flawless. PLUS its CHEAP....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom