Pistol Ramblings: Your Most Accurate Pistol?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tx_oil

Tx_oil
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Youngsville
    I'm going to be that guy and say that nearly every handgun will be more accurate than me (with one exception). It's what you shoot best that counts. That being said, I'll play along and say that my most accurate pistol is a Glock. However, what I think the most accurate pistol that I have ever shot was a HK USP Tactical. I loved it, but my buddy wouldn't sell it at the time and he actually traded it off :hs:

For those interested about the one exception, it was a Rohm RG23 .22lr Revolver. I placed a B size target at 5' and it didn't hit paper :eek3:

My wife has one that her father gave to her when she attended LSU. I could not get on paper either from 12 feet away. Horrible little clunker. IIRC, this is the pistol that Hinckley used to wound President Reagan and James Brady with...

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    [/B]

My wife has one that her father gave to her when she attended LSU. I could not get on paper either from 12 feet away. Horrible little clunker. IIRC, this is the pistol that Hinckley used to wound President Reagan and James Brady with...

The one used in the assassination attempt was a Rohm RG14, but probably equally as crappy :rofl:

nwmousegunner

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Homer,La.
    My most accurate revolver is a Smith&Wesson model 48. It is a K-22 in .22 magnum. Bought new in 1963. Pistol would be Browning Buckmark. Center fire model 19 and series 70 combat commander. The metal that the cheap German imported revolvers were cast out of was zamac, it is an alloy of zinc and aluminum, not sure what else. They have steel working parts and cylinders. The barrels had a steel liner inside a cast shroud. When I was at Tech in the early 1960's, I remember those guns selling for $12.95 at country stores. That was before the restrictions that were imposed on us by the 1968 gun control act. Dave

barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    All of my pistols are more accurate than I am. That said, these two tend to be the ones I do best with:

25 yards

407309795.jpg

10 yards

406661267.jpg

The SIG is stock, the CZ has a Cajun Gun Works trigger kit.

Pops 1

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Pollock Louisiana
    Here are the guns that I've owned and shot and my ratings for accuracy:

1. Sig Sauer P226 in 9mm
    2. Sig Sauer P229 in 9mm
    3. H&K P2000sk in 9mm
    4. H&K P30 in 9mm
    5. Ruger SR9c
    6. Springfield XD, Springfield XDS, XDM, Glock 19, Glock 26

I have to say that I love the weight of the Sig P226 and P229, and I think that's what makes the Sigs so accurate. Because the Sig P226 and P229 are heavier than most comparable 9mm handguns, you literally have almost zero felt re-coil. They're the most accurate handguns I've ever owned.

The H&K P30 and P2000sk are polymer framed guns, but because of H&K's engineering, very little felt-recoil as well, and man are they accurate for polymer framed guns.

The Ruger SR9c is probably one of the best sub $400 9mm subcompacts. The trigger is super crisp which I think makes the gun so accurate. I think this is one of the most under-rated guns out there, best bang for the buck subcompact, in my opinion.

The Springfield XDs and Glocks are great guns, but to me they have a little bit more felt-recoil than the H&Ks, so my accuracy goes down on these guns.

The SR9c is one of the best buys on the market.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    In terms of putting rounds on target, "The one you're most accurate with" is the proper way to measure accuracy with a weapon. YOU make the weapon, the weapon doesn't make you. Positive control, training and proficiency... that's what make a weapon "accurate". Don't short change yourself by letting the weapon take the credit.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    In terms of putting rounds on target, "The one you're most accurate with" is the proper way to measure accuracy with a weapon. YOU make the weapon, the weapon doesn't make you. Positive control, training and proficiency... that's what make a weapon "accurate". Don't short change yourself by letting the weapon take the credit.

To build on that, the right type of training also matters also. I used to just shoot static targets, at a set distance, and after a while it got boring. Once you were proficient with your weapon system, I would make one ragged hole in the target. Then I went to a plate match and realized when you are swapping between targets, and time matters, it's a whole different experience. Target wasn't as easy to shoot when you are trying to do it as quickly as possible. And putting rounds quickly 2-5 shot strings into a smallish target is pretty difficult also. But practice makes perfect, and once you build your muscle memory etc, it'll take your shooting to another level.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    To build on that, the right type of training also matters also. I used to just shoot static targets, at a set distance, and after a while it got boring. Once you were proficient with your weapon system, I would make one ragged hole in the target. Then I went to a plate match and realized when you are swapping between targets, and time matters, it's a whole different experience. Target wasn't as easy to shoot when you are trying to do it as quickly as possible. And putting rounds quickly 2-5 shot strings into a smallish target is pretty difficult also. But practice makes perfect, and once you build your muscle memory etc, it'll take your shooting to another level.

Agreed... Here's a way to amp up your range visit...

Helpful drills (some with training targets)

Make sure you check with your range and confirm they will allow "draw" drills (some instruct you to holster your weapon and draw... there is a wide variety of drills). If not... substitute by setting the weapon on the lane platform.

Last edited:

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    In order of accuracy up to 10 yds

For Pistols
    Ruger Std .22 (pre Mk II)
    Argentina Systema M1927 (Model 1911A1 Colt licensed copy) .45ACP
    Beretta 92FS Centurian 9x19
    East German Makarov 9x18

For Revolvers
    S&W M17-2 6" bbl .22
    S&W M649-3 Shrouded hammer 2"bbl Bodyguard .38/.357 using .38 Spec.
    S&W M686-2 4" bbl .38/.357 using .38 Spec.
    S&W M629-4 5" bbl Classic .44Mag

At 100 yds, the .45ACP and .44Mag handguns are the most accurate over the lighter bullet weight handguns, except for the S&W M686 in .357mag which beats both of them.

Last edited:

Mxav

Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Nov 25, 2011
    New Orleans
    I seem to be accurate with my sr9c but I guess that's because I use it the most.
    Currently training with my fns9 & glock though.
    :)

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    2e95060d5c2d505b71a9a2aa11a2a3c0.jpg

735a087dcd58f37deb7600ec25cc420a.jpg

The MKII Ruger target model in the first pic was seen earlier this spring tagging golfballs and clays at 80 yards, one after the other.
    The 29-3 smith, second pic, doesn't seem to know how to put a bullet anywhere but where the red dot falls.

I honestly can't say which is more accurate without magnification

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    2e95060d5c2d505b71a9a2aa11a2a3c0.jpg

The MKII Ruger target model in the first pic was seen earlier this spring tagging golfballs and clays at 80 yards, one after the other.

Maybe, but that Ruger Standard . . .

Slow Clap

Slow Clap

Slow Clap

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey

Top Bottom