Plant explosion in Geismar

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zbaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    They are bringing the injured to the hospital where I work right now. Also a bunch to our sister facility. The ER's at both facilities are slammed right now. Haven't gotten any exact counts, but will update as I find out more info. They have called a code orange already which is for chemical exposure disaster.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    retanyza.jpg

Damn....

OleHeat, where did you get that photo?

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    This plant is right next to Honeywell, we had some crews in there and they said they could feel the percussion. It scared everyone. All the plants are shut down right now. Out entire crew at praxair was cleared out too. Most plants in the area are clear of personnel.
    They produce ethylene and polymer grade propylene. The fire is right off the unit and real close to the sphere tanks and bullet tanks. They are hoping the fire doesn't reach them or it will be big.
    This plant was working a shutdown at this time (turnaround) I would assume they had close to 600-800 workers in that unit.

Hope everyone is ok definitely gave some of our guys a reality check. That it can happen here and safety is the top priority when working.

Plant guys, disregarding safety rules in a plant may not only put your life at risk but many others as well. Always follow protocol and be aware of what is going on around you.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    In case anyone missed this....

EDITED: Posted the wrong link! Sorry about that!!!

Last edited:

zbaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Just heard that they have been triaging people out at the plant to get them ready to bring here. So far, the only people that are coming are people around the peripheral of the explosion. They still haven't been able to get to the people that are seriously injured from the explosion.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Y'all think its best to avoid I 10 around there for now? I have to drive to New Orleans later and don't want to get caught up in some kind of crazy traffic cluster?

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    GEISMAR, La. (Associated Press) --

State police say at least one person was killed and dozens were injured in an explosion and fire at a chemical plant in Louisiana.

State police Capt. Doug Cain said a hazardous material crew going through the plant in Geismar after the Thursday morning explosion found one person dead.

Thirty-seven people were taken to area hospitals by helicopter or ambulance, while another 24 had minor injuries

The cause of the blast, reported around 8:30 a.m., was not immediately known. The fire was out by late morning.

Eight of the injured were taken to Baton Rouge Medical Center, where one was listed in critical condition and two others were in serious condition.

Early tests did not indicate dangerous levels of any chemicals around the plant, about 20 miles southeast of Baton Rouge.

zbaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Y'all think its best to avoid I 10 around there for now? I have to drive to New Orleans later and don't want to get caught up in some kind of crazy traffic cluster?

My wife is driving through there right now and said it isn't bad. She is coming home from school in New Orleans. I think it will be fine after the 5:00 traffic rush is done.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    Is this what used to be called the ethylene plant behind the Allied Chemical fertilizer plant right on the Ascension/Iberville Parish line?

I wasn't aware that The Williams Company owned it.

I don't know why I-10 would be congested more than normal but I would stay away from La-30/Nicholson Drive.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Is this what used to be called the ethylene plant behind the Allied Chemical fertilizer plant right on the Ascension/Iberville Parish line?

I wasn't aware that The Williams Company owned it.

I don't know why I-10 would be congested more than normal but I would stay away from La-30/Nicholson Drive.

I'm not sure if that is the old plants calling or what. I can find out o should be able too. I know now it is definitely a Williams plant and they are based out of Oklahoma.
    Most plants are shut down on Hwy 30 and river road in that area. I would imagine hwy 30 going to the Nicholson ext may be blocked or backed up at the least

Well the guys that could tell me if gone from my office for the day.
    However, after looking at the maps and such online. I do not think this is the plant. I think you are referring to the PCS nitrogen plant (potashcorp) it was part of the allied chemical corporation in 1967. It is located right at the corner of Hwy 30 (Nicholson ext) and hwy 3115.

Last edited:

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    I'm not sure if that is the old plants calling or what. I can find out o should be able too. I know now it is definitely a Williams plant and they are based out of Oklahoma.
    Most plants are shut down on Hwy 30 and river road in that area. I would imagine hwy 30 going to the Nicholson ext may be blocked or backed up at the least

Well the guys that could tell me if gone from my office for the day.
    However, after looking at the maps and such online. I do not think this is the plant. I think you are referring to the PCS nitrogen plant (potashcorp) it was part of the allied chemical corporation in 1967. It is located right at the corner of Hwy 30 (Nicholson ext) and hwy 3115.

I am thinking of the one corner La-3115 and La-30.

I moved from Gonzales to Galvez in 1978 and kinda lost track of the plants.

I "think" Allied had the plants along and east of La-3115 at one time.

Thanks for the info.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    djrara323
    Top Bottom