Please help me understand?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flatsman007

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    St.Rose
    I hear all the oil industry people telling everyone how bad this drilling moritorium is going to effect the ecomomy. Are these not the same people that can't seem to tell the truth about how bad the spill is? Can't tell anyone how much oil is flowing out of the well, not even an honest educated guess? Can't tell us how they will stop the well from flowing? Can't tell us how they will prevent this in the future, if there is a future? Can't seem to answer a single honest question at all? And now we are supposed to believe them when they tell us how bad this will hurt the economy, especially their economy.

Are not these companies related to the other componies in cancer alley that refine this garbage and tell us they are emitting safe levels of toxins into our air? Safe levels of cancer causing toxins?

The real fact of the matter is until 50 years ago there was not a single oil rig in the gulf and this area thrived just fine. Maybe we need to get back to a more traditional way of life. They try to addict economy and society to oil and petrochemical products the same way a drug dealer gets you hooked on crack, until you can't live without it. Wonder why this great oil money never makes it to our last in the country school systems? Wonder how quick they will abandon the same part of the country they claim to love so much to go chase a nickel overseas so quick? Settlers came to this area of the country and thrived for hundreds of years long before oil came here.

All I keep hearing is "Oh well the environment is screwed already so why make us stop?"

Get a grip. Let's see you guys stop this one well from flowing, which none of your companies intends to do, and then maybe you can get some support from the rest of us.

It really gets me upset to see the laxidasical attitude you guys seem to have. Trying to tell everyone else how smart you guys are and quoting every document about how bad this will effect the sheeple. You have a vested interest in going back to work. Talk your companies into focusing on stopping the one well. That is how you will gain support. Not following your companies lead on trying to insite financial panic in people. Don't think that tactic will work this time. Come on smart guys that are an expert on everything other than te one thing you are supposed to be an expert on. Once again the truth is the same as to why the rig exploded in the first place, They don't want is to stop flowing. If they did it already would have.

Now please tell me how my grammer sucks and I'm not as smart or informed as you are, Bla...Bla.... Bla and quote some document you claim to know of that has our already doomed economy more doomed if we don't Bla...Bla...Bla... . Do what you have to to discredit me. I expect nothing less.

Saftman

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Lafayette, La.
    THe problem is BP cut corners & viloated their own policies & procedures. Not all oil companies operate like that. I'll say it once again... BP has the worst safety record in the industry. Check their record on land & offshore. It sucks. If they want to continue to operate perhaps they should have to pay some sort of bond or something. I don't know. All I know is I have been on deep water rigs & we did everything by the book & all is well. When their well site supervisor takes the fifth that is not a good indication that they were adhering to their own or accepted industry standards.

flatsman007

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    St.Rose
    I'm not saying that there are no credible companies out there in the oil feild. I'm am saying alot don't seem to be at this time and they are trying very hard to create misinformation and panic to throw people off the track of what is most important at this time. I don't want to see anyone loose their living, I just think the focus need to be on solving the problem at hand, preventing a lack of being able to deal with it in the future, and then we can move on. Alot of these companies don't seem to have any interest except threats of moving on if they can't get their quick buck.

crawfish

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    south of 90
    Anyone who has worked in the oilfield knows that BP has a strict safety policy, and as we also know this is strictly enforced up until a project is losing money. I've seen safety thrown out the window quite a few times by quite a few different companies when safety got in the way of time/money.

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    Do you even realize how important the oil industry is for Louisiana's economy?

And who the hell said "Oh well the environment is screwed already so why make us stop?" That's completely asinine!

What you fail to understand is the oil industry is not just the oil companies, there are TONS of other smaller service companies and outside contractors that rely on oil companies to thrive. I mean drive through Broussard or Houma and try to wrap your mind around the number of jobs that are available to people because of all those different companies.

The oil industry is one of the main reasons Louisiana was one of the better places to ride out the recession.

I understand the frustration with BP, but you have to realize that the oil industry is so MUCH more than just the major oil companies.

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    I'm not saying that there are no credible companies out there in the oil feild. I'm am saying alot don't seem to be at this time and they are trying very hard to create misinformation and panic to throw people off the track of what is most important at this time. I don't want to see anyone loose their living, I just think the focus need to be on solving the problem at hand, preventing a lack of being able to deal with it in the future, and then we can move on. Alot of these companies don't seem to have any interest except threats of moving on if they can't get their quick buck.

These companies aren't trying to create misinformation and panic.... most of these companies writing letters to the congressmen are small, and rely on oil production in the gulf to survive. The actual oil companies can make it through the moratorium, but it will surely put an end to the smaller companies that have no other means of doing business.

Now imagine you put your lifes work into building a business... and realizing that a 6 month ban in the gulf could destroy all that....

I'm pretty sure I would fricken panic and want the public to understand what might happen!

scubasteve

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 12, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Flats, where have you ben for the last 43 years? They have been drilling in the Gulf for closer to 70 years plus. Alot of the economy around your neck of the woods depends on drilling and the industries associated with it.
    You shut down offshore drilling in the Gulf and its gonna look like Detroit very fast around your house.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    I'm wonderin about the integrity of anyone who would be an apologist for deep water drilling until there is a method to stop the flow of oil in the DWH disaster.

I mean by method, the ability to stop a blow out in deep water with the same expediency as can be expected in shallow water or on land.

The apologist for lower shelf drilling at this time are setting a price to be paid for human life, wildlife, sea life, livelyhood for thousands, maybe millions of people.

Find a cure for this mess, formulate an amount to be deposited with states affected incase of a blow out, in short come up with an answer to this and other problems that may be encountered. Show some responsibility instead of greed.

Oh....at the end of my wish list I want the apologist to quit telling me I don't understand how important oil is. I promise , I get it.

bryan54

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    I don't think we can do without the oil. Just about everything you buy or the way we live has something to do from oil. Most people would not survive without these modern comforts now compared to fifty years ago.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Flats, you live in St. Rose. What percentage of people's jobs are oil dependent within 10 miles of you? 80%?

LIke it or not, our economy in SE LA is oil driven. Seafood makes up a small part, but most is oil driven. I work in insurance. No oil jobs, how many customers do I have left? Not many. I'll be unemployed (well, relocating) too.

Is this a good thing? No. We shouldn't have let the oil/chemical companies in so easily. Actually, we should have let Disney in when we had the chance. We could be as tourism driven as Orlando right now.

wrecker704

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Hammond,La
    I have the answer lets petal our bikes or walk to work and the store everyday. I don't know about you I don't live close enough to either. I don;t have a horse so that is put. I guess that I will hve to drive.

Rig Magician

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Houma
    The oil industry in South La can be summed up from the early 80's. I remember riding through Morgan City and reading signs saying the last one out turn off the lights. It was a ghost town. I remeber all the uncompleted houses that were there from people that lost there jobs. It use to be when the oil industry got bad people went to trawling to make a living. Well that is messes up to. So now what sugar can, that is not going to happen. the company I work for is moving out 2 deep water rigs as we speak because of this. That will be 100's of lost jobs for years because they will not return for quite some time. So yes it will get bad.
    Mark

scubasteve

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 12, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I don't know if I'm exactly apologizing, but the BOP was supposed to work. It's a multimillion dollar poece of equipment that didn't work and has contributed to the situation we are all in. And, the industry and the fedrall agencies were NOT prepared for something like this.
    This should have never happened.
    At this point I could care less about blame, I just want that MF'er plugged and the mess cleaned up. THEN, we can start figgerin' out how to prevent something like this ever occuring again.

Saftman

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Lafayette, La.
    The entire Gulf Coast depends on the Oil Industry for the majority of their income. Everything involved in your life is related to oil, not just gas in your car but the clothes on your back. The Horizon incident could have been avoided if malfunctions were addressed as they happened. Shutting down the whole industry will not fix the problem. Did they shut down the Mining Industry after the last disaster? Did they shut down the auto industry when 2 of the big 3 went belly up? Maybe it is the union involvenment in those industries allowing them to keep operating, I don't know.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    If they enforce the moratorium and you want to go into a secure business, think U-Haul, because that'll be about the only thing moving in this state. :rolleyes:
    After the bust in the early 80's I spent about 7 years on the road looking for work & I wasn't even in the oil industry. I was a cabinetmaker.

Art

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    I'm just saying that drilling in water deeper than 5oo ft, and I use this number cause I know jak about drilling an oil well. I know that there is a depth that a blow out can be handled almost as easily as on land. Put that depth where I have 500.

This is the drilling I want to suspend until there is a plan to stop blowouts as easily as the shallow ( er ) wells.

Again, I get it......the economy is VERY VERY VERY dependent on oil..I understand

So HURRY, probably the folks will figure out a way to stop this one and then turn it into a method for deep water blowouts.

But till then no more ......

Our state as well as Miss, Ala, Fla, and before this over its going east and north.......all these people are getting screwed and never got a kiss.

Just as much is needed in response after the blowout , this is crazy, listing to Feds and BP snipe, hide from each other, all the time there are regular people like some of us, trying to stay afloat without work while BP is asking for all kinds of paper work most fishermen don't have.

Stop this drilling and make BP responsible for the unemployment benifits, or for the whole paychecks......jump in any time Bobby Jindal

Parlow

Type 07/Class 02 SOT
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Lafayette, La
    Now please tell me how my grammer sucks and I'm not as smart or informed as you are, Bla...Bla.... Bla and quote some document you claim to know of that has our already doomed economy more doomed if we don't Bla...Bla...Bla... . Do what you have to to discredit me. I expect nothing less.

SUUUUUURE.....lets go back 50 years before computers and the internet. If we didn't have computers (which the plastic comes from petro products) and the internet how would you read about all of the news? Wait I got it, you would read the news paper...right? Since the creation of the internet the printing presses have slowed down. What do you need to print a paper? Trees!!! Yea lets continue cutting down trees!!

I bet you don't even think twice about getting in your car to go run errands. The car is made from many petro products and in case you didn't know it takes petro products to go. I bet you don't even own 'HYBRID' either. Hybrids still take alot of petro products to build it and still needs petro products to make it go.

Unless you 'Live' off the land, (By that I mean farm your own food, hunt for your food, and live with no electricity) you dont have a pot to **** in.

I bet you even believe eveything the government says...Don't you? After all they always speak the truth. They never told a lie to cover anything up or to influence our decisions. NO... Not the good ole loving and trusty government..they would never do such a thing... They are honest and always look out for 'OUR' best interest.

I am sure you are a bit over weight too. Thats cause you don't think twice about getting in your car (which is made with many petro products and emits 'cancer causing' emissions) to go thru the drive-thru at McDonalds. I bet you are too lazy to even walk inside. But yet you dont think twice about doing your part to 'SAVE' the enviroment.

How can you even go back 50 years? Looks to me your age is 43 or is that your I.Q.? Here are a few tips before you go ranting and raving about something you don't know anything about 1) Get a dictionary, 2) Get your facts straight, 3)Learn correct grammar

If you don't like this then pack your things and head to Cali. with all the Liberals and illegals.:D

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    SUUUUUURE.....lets go back 50 years before computers and the internet. If we didn't have computers (which the plastic comes from petro products) and the internet how would you read about all of the news? Wait I got it, you would read the news paper...right? Since the creation of the internet the printing presses have slowed down. What do you need to print a paper? Trees!!! Yea lets continue cutting down trees!!

I bet you don't even think twice about getting in your car to go run errands. The car is made from many petro products and in case you didn't know it takes petro products to go. I bet you don't even own 'HYBRID' either. Hybrids still take alot of petro products to build it and still needs petro products to make it go.

Unless you 'Live' off the land, (By that I mean farm your own food, hunt for your food, and live with no electricity) you dont have a pot to **** in.

I bet you even believe eveything the government says...Don't you? After all they always speak the truth. They never told a lie to cover anything up or to influence our decisions. NO... Not the good ole loving and trusty government..they would never do such a thing... They are honest and always look out for 'OUR' best interest.

I am sure you are a bit over weight too. Thats cause you don't think twice about getting in your car (which is made with many petro products and emits 'cancer causing' emissions) to go thru the drive-thru at McDonalds. I bet you are too lazy to even walk inside. But yet you dont think twice about doing your part to 'SAVE' the enviroment.

How can you even go back 50 years? Looks to me your age is 43 or is that your I.Q.? Here are a few tips before you go ranting and raving about something you don't know anything about 1) Get a dictionary, 2) Get your facts straight, 3)Learn correct grammar

If you don't like this then pack your things and head to Cali. with all the Liberals and illegals.:D

You could have said this in a few words, try these

" I don't care about fishermen, wildlife , coastal waters, people who make their living from tourism and fishing, as long as I get my way its all worth it......"

See how easy that is...just say it, you don't have to prove how smart you are, folks can see that in the content of your message, short or long

scubasteve

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 12, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Our state as well as Miss, Ala, Fla, and before this over its going east and north.......all these people are getting screwed and never got a kiss.

I don't know about that. The erl industry has provided many, many folks with well paying jobs that have given us an improved quality of life.
    The tourism can thank the folks who work in the erl industry for having the money to get raped at tourist locales. Tire shops, florist, dentist, doctors, insurance companies, car dealers, bakers, seafood dealers, restaraunts, hookers, bars, YMCA's, churches, charities, and on and on....can thank the erl industry for providing folks with jobs so that they can purchase the wares others are pushing.
    THAT is why the dumbass ahould have never imposed a moratorium.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    I don't know about that. The erl industry has provided many, many folks with well paying jobs that have given us an improved quality of life.
    The tourism can thank the folks who work in the erl industry for having the money to get raped at tourist locales. Tire shops, florist, dentist, doctors, insurance companies, car dealers, bakers, seafood dealers, restaraunts, hookers, bars, YMCA's, churches, charities, and on and on....can thank the erl industry for providing folks with jobs so that they can purchase the wares others are pushing.
    THAT is why the dumbass ahould have never imposed a moratorium.

LOL.....this is easy

I just paste the same answer to the erl patch people , ya'lls agenda is obvious

You could have said this in a few words, try these

" I don't care about fishermen, wildlife , coastal waters, people who make their living from tourism and fishing, as long as I get my way its all worth it......"

See how easy that is...just say it, you don't have to prove how smart you are, folks can see that in the content of your message, short or long

Top Bottom