Plugging high cap mags?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    Can a "plug" be inserted into a high capacity magazine in order to reduce its capacity in order to comply with some existing and future laws?

Like adding a plug to a shotgun to reduce its capacity.

Does this meet the criteria set forth in the law?

gravytrain

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Lafayette
    Can a "plug" be inserted into a high capacity magazine in order to reduce its capacity in order to comply with some existing and future laws?

Like adding a plug to a shotgun to reduce its capacity.

Does this meet the criteria set forth in the law?
    That thought has never crossed my mind.. I don't plan on ever "plugging" my mags.

BobKaro

Yellow Boxes? Sweet!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Youngsville, LA
    My understanding is that for states that limit magazine capacity, it must be permanent.

I'm curious if states that limit magazine capacity in hunting rifles allow a removable plug.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    Yes and yes.

Hmmm... Removable magazines must be permanently plugged but permanent magazines can be temporarily plugged?

Few things are ever really "permanent".

Can manufacturers produce one magazine tube and change the length of the follower or base plate depending on the capacity required?

Can the "plug" be held in place by a little piece of plastic that can be snapped off?

If someone does move to a place that limits capacity, what can be done to comply - short of buying new magazines?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Hmmm... Removable magazines must be permanently plugged but permanent magazines can be temporarily plugged?

Few things are ever really "permanent".

Can manufacturers produce one magazine tube and change the length of the follower or base plate depending on the capacity required?

Can the "plug" be held in place by a little piece of plastic that can be snapped off?

If someone does move to a place that limits capacity, what can be done to comply - short of buying new magazines?

For hunting purposes, a temporary plug works (think dowels in shotguns).

If you live in a mag ban state, your >10rd mags must be PERMANENTLY modified to only hold 10 rounds. There are several ways to do it. Some people install a rivet to impede the follower travel. It can be drilled out down the road to return the mag to full capacity, but if done properly still constitutes a "permanent" modification. Other people/companies install an internal plug and then epoxy the baseplate on. This is much more permanent as you won't get the baseplate back off without destroying the mag. If you did something that was as easy as "snapping off a piece" it would likely not be considered permanent.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Yeah permanent is a relative term. Maybe not as easy as popping a plug out but Iccan't really think of anything that would be permanentin the eworld way I think about it.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Yeah permanent is a relative term. Maybe not as easy as popping a plug out but Iccan't really think of anything that would be permanentin the eworld way I think about it.

I would bet the verbiage of the New York silliness is online somewhere. Look for yourself to see if any language pertains to that subject in particular, and wonder no more.

Remember, with the internet at your fingertips:
    Anything_Is_Possible.jpg

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA

Correct. That's why even though the apparently the rivet method is acceptable yet reversible, some people prefer to do it more permanently. Epoxying the baseplate makes it such that you cannot get the plug out without destroying the mag. Like everything law related, there's a whole lot of grey area there with words like "reasonable" and "discretion". Some prefer to err on the side of caution, some people like to play in the grey.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom