Pmags or Aluminum ones?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rm105629

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2011
    Houston
    I'm planning on getting my first AR in the near future and have been looking into mags to stock up on. I found some decent deals on Pmags (gen 2, non-windowed) and aluminum D&H mags (magpul follower, teflon coated). Which would be the better one to have if the price point is similar?

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    You'll find tons of opinions on this, I only have metal mags. some with magpul followers, some standard GI. Mags are a wear item, buy a bunch and toss them if one stops working.

franch1se82

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Belle Chasse
    I'm no germaphobe, but i do like my hands to be somewhat clean when fondling with my mags, therefore PMags get my vote. You could actually find the M2s for less than $9 per mag if you wait long enough and look hard enough.

On the other hand, I haven't had a GI mag fail on me (I don't own a single GI mag at this point).

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I actually ordered some Pmags after this post started, I'm using 20rd Pmags for my new 300 Blackout and standard USGI metal for my 5.56 guns, that way I can't get them mixed up.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Im intersted in trying out the lancers. I shoot a scar (which only likes certain mags without modification or USGI mags) Also my ar pistol doesnt like the gen 3 pmags. They wont lock in right.

bsoileau24

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Around ville platte
    I really like the lancer awm. With that said I have and use brownells usgi, d&h usgi and gen 2 pmags all without any issues so far.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I have a mix. No complaints either way. I prefer Pmags but not for any reason I can explain. :) And that's even though the aluminum ones fit better in my mag carrier.

Last edited:

Grandpa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2014
    New Orleans
    I use Pmags for my 300 Blackout and stainless steel mags for my 5.6/223. I selected this to help avoid loading the wrong ammo into one of my rifles. Probably unnecessary, but I figured it can't hurt.

My two 5.6/223 rifles were both purchased with metal mags. My two Daniel Defense 300 Blackout rifles both came with Pmags, so I stayed with that convention.

Last edited:

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I have a variety of aluminum mags sitting in a shelf. I've switched to mostly 20rd Pmags, with a few 30s for my 223s and Lancer 20rd translucent smoke for my .300 blk.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey.

Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    whichever runs the best in your gun. I have an RRA AR that gives the devil with pmags. I can put the same mag in another AR and no problems

Top Bottom