Pocket 9mm's?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Anyone have a pocket 9mm? Please restrict to 9mm only. I'm considering a Kel-Tec, but would like to know about other pocket 9mms out there and their pros and cons. Thanks.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Kahr CM9 is GTG. Out of all the pocket 9's i've owned, its probably the most pleasant to shoot, even with hot ammo. (Which many manufacturers say not to shoot in their pocket pieces)

The CM9 is a tad more pricey than other options (mine was $399), but I feel that the extra dollars were money well spent. It weighs 14oz. empty.

ETA: List of Pocket 9's I have personally owned and shot:

Ruger LC9 (Too big - No +P ammo)
    KelTec PF9 (Nice size. Hurts to shoot)
    KelTec P11 (Too thick)
    Kahr PM9 (Same as CM9 but with fancier rollmark + higher price)
    Diamondback DB9 (Would consider this a good 2nd choice - No +P ammo)

I have shot a Rohrbaugh, but I think its ridiculous to pay $1000 for a pocket 9.

Last edited:

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    At one point I owned both the PPS and PM9 and really shot the PPS better but the pm9 works better for me bc of size so i sold the PPS to Dan. And last I heard he likes it also

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    If you're trigger sensitive, play with the PPS and the Taurus 709, both have good triggers, with the edge going to the Taurus as it is a true single action striker fired gun.

If triggers don't matter, get the one that feels best in your hand. They're all pretty good, reliability-wise.

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Pocket 9

I've shot or owned the following:

Ruger LC9: decent build quality, horrible trigger, reliable, no +p, not fun to shoot, small, affordable
    Kahr PM9: best build quality, heavy double action trigger, reliable, +p, best to shoot, small, pricey
    Taurus 709: good build quality, best trigger, reliable, +p, very good to shoot, not as small as others, affordable
    Walther PPS: great build quality, good trigger, reliable, +p, very good to shoot, small, priceyo
    Beretta Nano: great build quality, meh trigger, reliable, +p, good to shoot, small, mid-priced
    Kel-Tec PF9, flimsy build quality, horrible trigger, reliable, no +p, hurts to shoot, small, cheapest
    Diamondback DB9, nice gun with good build quality, long heavier trigger, no +p, picky about ammo and hurts, tiny, mid-priced
    Rohrbaugh R9, uggh, don't get me started, but people who buy this haven't shot any of the above

Jimbeaux82

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Natchitoches, LA
    I bought a CM9 last month and am very pleased with it so far. Shot the recommended 200 rounds for break in without any failures at all. It is very capable for a pocket pistol. At 15 yards, am able to keep all 7 shots in the kill zone of a torso target, at 25 yards avg 5 out of 7. Easy to carry in front pocket. At $450 otd, not a bad price for what you get.

tupperware9mm

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    I got a Ruger LC9. Pros,... price, it is accurate, comfortable to shoot. Cons,The trigger pull is crazy long. It does not have a short reset either so every time you fire the trigger has to go all the way back to the forward position. It works for me,... I am not picky, what can I say I'm a Glock guy.

Hogin

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    Independence LA
    For what its worth, I have a KelTec P11. I got it from a LEO who used it for a backup. Only reason he sold it was to get a KelTec PF9 (thinner). I have had zero issues with it as far as ftf, fte, but Ive only put around 300 rds through it so far.

louis488

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    New Orleans
    I have a Beretta Nano. I have heard that they don't like cheep ammo and there have been FTE problems, I have only put 300 rounds through mine Monarch and Blaser 115 gr ball Shoots a bit low with it but no problems so far. I find the trigger pull ok. No slide release, only 6 rounds, but I am happy with it.

Last edited:

Death Valley

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    That's what I did today. I went shopping for a true pocket 9mm. I looked at the new M&P it's nice but to big. I also looked at the Kahr,Ruger and the Keltec all nice guns. But only two fit my needs the Kahr and the Diamondback DB 9. My needs are simple it has to fit in my pocket and I can forget it's there. My choice was the DB 9 after talking to the owner of the store and seeing that everyone that worked there including his wife was carrying a DB9 as ccw I was sold.

nwmousegunner

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Homer,La.
    I am new to this forum, but not new to handguns. At age 68 I have 50 plus years of expererance with all kinds of handguns. I don't usually offer my opinons. I don't believe in bashing someones choice of weapons, just because they don't agree with me. I had rather strict criteria when I selected a pistol for concealed carry. I wanted semi auto. A j frame is to thick for me. I did not want a striker fired pistol for deep cover,I also wanted a minimum of 9mm. After trying several I settled on a Rhorbaugh R9S, yes it was expensive, it is the best fitted and machined pistol I own. I carry it every day it has never malfunctioned in any way. It is accurate and reliable and I trust my life to it. There is not much to add, If you are in North Louisiana and would like to try it out you are welcome. Dave

Top Bottom