Pocket 9's, What do you recommend?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    I'm looking for a pocket 9mm, and am hoping that our members here might have recommendations.

I wear slacks mostly and have determined that pocket carry is best for me. I currently have a .22 Mag double-barrel derringer and also a Sig p238 in .380 that work, but want a 9mm that would also be concealable. I've tried a PF9 but didnt like the trigger and traded it off. Kind of leaning toward an LC9 but haven't handled one and not sure if that's a good choice.

I definitely want a single-stack, as a thicker double-stack pistol doesn't seem to conceal as well for me. Trying to stay under 1" thick.

Would anyone care to comment on their favorites, and why?

(For reference, I also have a Colt and a Metro Arms 1911 .45, Beretta 92 9mm, Sig p226 Navy in 9mm, Ruger MKIII .22, and Smith .38, so no need for larger pistols and no particular brand preference)

Golden Dragon

Stay Alert.... Stay Alive
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    171   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Mandeville
    Kahr CM9

Light six+1 in 9mm -easy to use under stress point and shoot

here is a write up on it

Specifications

The CM9 is a polymer-framed handgun that uses a stainless steel slide and barrel. The slide is finished in a matte silver color.

The trigger is double-action-only (DAO). Even though the CM9 is considered an *economy* gun, it uses the same patented cam trigger system found in the other Kahr guns. The system gives the shooter a smooth, consistent pull on every shot fired.

I’ve heard many people refer to the Kahr trigger as being *revolver-like,* and I would agree insomuch as the pull is nothing like a Glock, Springfield XD or Smith & Wesson M&P. It is very smooth, without any grittiness or hitches. Using a Lyman electronic trigger pull gauge, I measured an average of 6 pounds, 8.5 ounces for the weight of pull.

The barrel length is three inches and the gun weighs slightly less than 16 ounces with an unloaded magazine. At the widest point, the gun is a mere 0.9* thick. Overall length is only 5.3*. All in all, this is a very compact package.

The standard, flush-mount magazine holds six rounds, while optional seven-round magazines are available. With the flush-mount magazine, my pinky finger had nothing to grasp while shooting. The seven-round mag extends beyond the base of the pistol, allowing a full grip on the CM9.

Range Time

The CM9 proved to be very accurate and reliable on the range. Additionally, it was enjoyable to shoot, which is something that cannot always be said about compact pistols.

As with any gun I test, I ran many different factory loads through the gun. For this gun, I shot Federal American Eagle FMJ, Winchester white box FMJ, two different Federal HST loads, Federal BPLE +P+ JHP, Remington green box JHP, Winchester PDX1 and Speer Gold Dot.

The CM9 handled all of the different ammunitions easily, with only one round failing to feed properly. That was an American Eagle FMJ round within the first 20 rounds shot through the gun. No other malfunctions of any kind were experienced with this gun during the following hundreds of rounds fired.

Recoil was light and easily managed. The sights were easy to see in daylight and dim conditions.

Shooting with an extended magazine was more comfortable than with the flush-mount magazine. I hate having my pinky finger floating. However, accuracy was still very good with the shorter magazine. In fact, I could not tell any significant accuracy differences between shooting the two.

Final Thoughts

The CM9 is a fantastic concealed carry pistol. It is thinner than my Airweight J-frame revolver, yet it holds 6+1 rounds of significantly more potent 9mm than the revolver’s five rounds of .38 Special. The CM9 also has better sights and a faster reload than my J-frame.

Compared to the more expensive PM9, the CM9 does have a few drawbacks including the inability to easily replace the front sight with a night sight and it only shipping with one magazine. I don’t see either the machined slide stop or polygonal rifling as being a reason to spend almost $300 more for the PM9.

If you are looking for a reasonably priced, compact pistol, I recommend you take a look at the CM9. I’ve seen prices on the pistol frequently less than $450, which seems to me to be a great bargain.

Last edited:

jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    +1 to the Kahr. I was planning on buying an LC9 until I shot one and hated the trigger. Looked at everything out there and settled on the CM9. Compared to the LC9 it's smaller, has a better trigger, easier for ME to shoot well, and seems to be finished a little better.

Ryan316

My way or the highway
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Kenner, LA
    Definite +1 on the CM9 or the PM9. Also, since you have the Sig P238, I know Sig is coming out with the same gun in 9mm, I believe they're calling it the P938. Maybe wait for that one?

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    I cant believe no has brought up the M&P Shield!!! Less than 1" thick and a damn good gun from what I have read and been told.
    The shield would be on the larger side of pocket carry. not saying it can't be done, but the grip length is fairly tall.

no way youre carrying a G26 in your pocket.
    There are a couple of board members who pocket carry a G26 daily. I've tried, but I have not come across shorts that would allow me to easily get the gun out.

jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I've seen this statement made before!!!!

I've seen how this argument plays out on here before but I'll say that I can't pocket carry a G26 comfortably in any clothing that I currently own. Obviously people do it but I think I would have to get some jeans with BIG pockets for it to work for me

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I've seen how this argument plays out on here before but I'll say that I can't pocket carry a G26 comfortably in any clothing that I currently own. Obviously people do it but I think I would have to get some jeans with BIG pockets for it to work for me

(Sighs)

I say AGAIN:

Carhartt Tapered fit Jeans are NOT "Big Pockets", "Gangsta jeans" etc...

Top Bottom