Poison sumac

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Hoping that there's a few people on here who are better at identifying plants than I am, I'll post a picture of this here. It's growing on our property, is now about 10' tall, and round up hasn't come close to killing it. It's growing right next to a burn pile which I don't want to light if it is sumac due to the vapors (been there, SCREW that!). The leaf structure has 7 or 9 leaves to a branch with some ending with these berries. Any ideas?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Sumac and Elderberry are very similar looking plants. Those in you picture are in bloom, and if they are Elderberry, the berrys should turn dark red or bluish black. Also consider, Poison Sumac is not very common here.

The_Shadow

The Shadow Knows!
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Southeast, LA
    Yes looks like elder berry, If I recall Sumac has sets of 9 leaves (maybe different in other locations) in groupings where Poison Ivy and Oak have leaves in groups of three, berries white poison in site!

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    Drill a few shallow holes angling down in the tree at its widest part. Pour in some 2-4D, full strength. I have killed oak trees with this method.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Killing it isn't an issue. I have a 30hp tractor and a front end loader that will shear it at ground level if need be. I would just like to know what I'm dealing with though. I'll probably keep an eye on it for now and see if the berries start to darken. I'm sure I'll have more of these pop up either way.

Bkjsdc09

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Hammond
    Elderberry, as others have said, poison sumac is rare around here. Most sumac you'll see around here is smooth sumac.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Ritten, I agree your pic is elderberry...insert Monty Python here. The worst you will get from them is stained clothes. The berries are said to be edible, but I anin't eatin' 'em.

I'll have to disagree with some. Poison Sumac is very common around here. Not just the woods, but in residential yards as well. The two look similar in the formation of the plant. Poison Sumac having shorter, narrower 7-9 leaves and white berries.

When in doubt, treat it like it's loaded and don't f' with it. Better safe than sorry. Inhaling the fumes I've only heard stories of and never want to experience.

For those of you who don't believe we have an abundance of Poison Sumac here in the south, please be careful when tromping about. It has the highest urisol content of all the poison plants and will eat yo' ass up!

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    All I remember was calamine lotion, a steroid injection, and the doctor said I couldn't take a shower until it was gone. Pretty much just symptomatic treatments.

Thanks. Did you ever get any grass to grow around your new shop and home, if I remember correctly? Sorry off topic just curious how it worked out for you. I'm a lawn and landscape nerd!

Last edited:

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Thanks. Did you ever get any grass to grow around your new shop and home, if I remember correctly? Sorry off topic just curious how it worked out for you. I'm a lawn and landscape nerd!

Yea.....weeds. 4' tall and growing. Apparently I'm pretty good at growing water too! If we get much more rain I'll have to register my new house as a boat. Seriously though, we probably won't be looking to prep the yard for grass until next spring.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom