Poisoning dogs

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rsmoree

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Mississippi
    Only book I know of I used in the early 70's , Bill Kohlers Guard Dog Training, IDK if it even is still in print, they covered that...I never did it, his other methods worked well on what I did.

Still, a hongery dog is like a horney dog...it ain't foolproof

William R. Kohler method of dog training. He does teach poision proofing. I have one of his books and you can still order them. His methods are contrerversial today with all the postive reward methods but I can tell you his stuff works. I use my own form of his methods on my dogs. I never followed his method word for word.

http://www.koehlerdogtraining.com/

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    My dog was acting sluggish yesterday and was extremely weak this morning, before she passed away. :wtc: She was 12 years old, tho... if she had been poisoned, she would have been sick, right?

One of our rescue German Shepherds was poisoned at night by a neighbor and was dead the next morning. I guess it would depend on type of poisoning used.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    One of our rescue German Shepherds was poisoned at night by a neighbor and was dead the next morning. I guess it would depend on type of poisoning used.

Some neighbors!

Some time ago, I delivered a weekly advertising supplement for the Advocate. I hanged it in a clear bag on doorknobs.

Occasionally, I would have problems with strays. I inquired with Animal Control what my options were and they suggested pepper spray.

I went to purchase some at BR Police Supply and a discussion of loose dogs ensued. A BRPD officer told me "Loose dogs are fair game."

After that, I had occasion to get the spray ready but only used it on cats and dogs in my own neighborhood. I recognized that a dog will defend his home and didn't worry about them.
    :eh:

Last edited:

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Only book I know of I used in the early 70's , Bill Kohlers Guard Dog Training, IDK if it even is still in print, they covered that...I never did it, his other methods worked well on what I did.

Still, a hongery dog is like a horney dog...it ain't foolproof

William R. Kohler method of dog training. He does teach poision proofing. I have one of his books and you can still order them. His methods are contrerversial today with all the postive reward methods but I can tell you his stuff works. I use my own form of his methods on my dogs. I never followed his method word for word.

http://www.koehlerdogtraining.com/

Thanks...sure not many people back in the day liked Kohler, my aunt trained Dobies for years on variations of Kohler and I used it in Obedience and Guard dogs. I like knowing my dog will work even if I run outta cookies and liver snaps.

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    Typically they act "drunk". Very lethargic, loss of balance, vomiting. Those are the signs of antifreeze poisoning. Not that I go around poisoning dogs... I'm an operator in an ethylene glycol (antifreeze) unit.

Here is more specific info on antifreeze poisoning symptoms in cats and dogs.
    http://knowledgecloset.com/2011/03/30/symptoms-of-antifreeze-poisoning-in-dogs-and-cats/

I also found this link: http://www.vetinfo.com/dog-been-poisoned.html

Those symptoms are spot-on to what my dog had... except that I didn't see her vomiting. Of course, I found her 10 minutes before she died so she had probably already done that. When I found her, she was just laying in the driveway. She was very happy to see me, but it seemed she was in trouble and needed my help. I helped her get up to come in the house and she was staggering all over the place and kept falling down, so I carried her inside. I laid her down in her spot and she was laboring to breathe, lasted about 5 more minutes and that was it. I also noticed that her mouth and lips were swollen and that she had little red spots all over her lips.

I guess I should've taken her to the LSU Vet School to determine a cause of death so I could at least be able to press charges, but at the time it didn't even hit me that she'd been poisoned... actually, it really didn't occur until a couple of hours later when I saw this thread.

It's starting to look like one of my teenage son's "friends" was holding a grudge and may have retaliated against him for some perceived wrong. It's not like I can prove he did it, so I'm not going to officially accuse him... but the facts kinda line up to look that way and the 16yo kid does have a record. He has attacked a teacher at school and has broken into a business to vandalize it... I think poisoning a dog is well within his capabilities. I just wish there was something I could do!

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    I also found this link: http://www.vetinfo.com/dog-been-poisoned.html

Those symptoms are spot-on to what my dog had... except that I didn't see her vomiting. Of course, I found her 10 minutes before she died so she had probably already done that. When I found her, she was just laying in the driveway. She was very happy to see me, but it seemed she was in trouble and needed my help. I helped her get up to come in the house and she was staggering all over the place and kept falling down, so I carried her inside. I laid her down in her spot and she was laboring to breathe, lasted about 5 more minutes and that was it. I also noticed that her mouth and lips were swollen and that she had little red spots all over her lips.

I guess I should've taken her to the LSU Vet School to determine a cause of death so I could at least be able to press charges, but at the time it didn't even hit me that she'd been poisoned... actually, it really didn't occur until a couple of hours later when I saw this thread.

It's starting to look like one of my teenage son's "friends" was holding a grudge and may have retaliated against him for some perceived wrong. It's not like I can prove he did it, so I'm not going to officially accuse him... but the facts kinda line up to look that way and the 16yo kid does have a record. He has attacked a teacher at school and has broken into a business to vandalize it... I think poisoning a dog is well within his capabilities. I just wish there was something I could do!

There is, just not now...give it time to blow over. Keep him in mind, one day he will have a favorite car or word will leak out about some crime...there's always a way, just not NOW. I've been told that a quarter can buy a lot of happiness.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    I commonly refer to my dog as my "first born" and the "oldest". She answers to "grandmother's baby" from my Mom.

That says enough how I feel about poisoning my dog.

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    There is, just not now...give it time to blow over. Keep him in mind, one day he will have a favorite car or word will leak out about some crime...there's always a way, just not NOW. I've been told that a quarter can buy a lot of happiness.

That's good advice right there, will definitely keep it in mind.

Top Bottom