Police body cameras

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Remember the cameras record everything and can not be erased. No more bad mouthing the Mayor, Sheriff, Chief or your Supervisor.

rtr_rtr

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    Remember the cameras record everything and can not be erased. No more bad mouthing the Mayor, Sheriff, Chief or your Supervisor.

I assume that's just the case for these? I hadn't read that. I seem to remember an NOPD officer getting in trouble for having their body cam off during a fatal shooting

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I assume that's just the case for these? I hadn't read that. I seem to remember an NOPD officer getting in trouble for having their body cam off during a fatal shooting

They're trying to say she turned her camera off before the non-fatal shooting.

JR1572

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I heard the 50k figure but figured it was a mistake. You can buy a go pro with 3 hours of high def video for what, $300? Drop the resolution to vga and that should cover an 8 hour shift. Issue them in a lockable case when the shift starts and then they can't be tampered with.

I think its a great idea. I know some will resist but it will protect them from a lot of accusations.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts

It also records when you go to the bathroom, talk on your cell phone, etc...

JR1572

And all footage is considered public record and any or all footage can be requested by anyone at any time.

They sounded like a good idea to me until I read this. That would totally suck.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I heard the 50k figure but figured it was a mistake. You can buy a go pro with 3 hours of high def video for what, $300? Drop the resolution to vga and that should cover an 8 hour shift. Issue them in a lockable case when the shift starts and then they can't be tampered with.

I think its a great idea. I know some will resist but it will protect them from a lot of accusations.

I would not want to walk around with a go pro all day. Especially when that day is 16hr + sometimes. It would have to be smaller and lighter than that.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I would not want to walk around with a go pro all day. Especially when that day is 16hr + sometimes. It would have to be smaller and lighter than that.

And have about 6x the battery capacity. Not to mention a "lockable" case? Where would said case be strapped on at? Ive already got close to 30 lbs of gear on the entire shift. And download times/location? Some details/shifts i will go the entire shift without stepping foot into my office, much less the city that my office is even located in.

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I'm just saying the technology is there and should be doable for much less than $50k! $5k would be too much. It doesn't have to be high def, and you could reduce the frame rate. I would think those two things would increase battery life.
    And yes, I agree that police gear weighs too much! There are places to cut weight without giving up function. Radios would be the first place I'd start... there has got to be a way to reduce the weight, especially when most officers work out of a patrol car. There's no reason for a radio to be much heavier than a smart phone.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I'm just saying the technology is there and should be doable for much less than $50k! $5k would be too much. It doesn't have to be high def, and you could reduce the frame rate. I would think those two things would increase battery life.
    And yes, I agree that police gear weighs too much! There are places to cut weight without giving up function. Radios would be the first place I'd start... there has got to be a way to reduce the weight, especially when most officers work out of a patrol car. There's no reason for a radio to be much heavier than a smart phone.

Radios run around $3k each. I doubt the technology and battery life could be improved enough at this time in a cost effective way to perform as well as the current run of motorola's.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    All the LEO here have two portables to take care of but only wear one at a time. They use a 700 from 0600 hrs.. to 1800 hrs. for City PD dispatch and a 450 from 1800 hrs. to 0600 hrs. for Parish Sheriff dispatch.
    They work 12 hr. shifts and as already stated occasionally pull a 16 hr. shift.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA

The two major metro-NOLA agencies do not have radios mounted in their vehicles. You're issued a portable and two batteries. With a charged battery your radio will last you at least 12 hours, at least mine do on a XTS5000R with Multiplier batteries...

JR1572

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    The two major metro-NOLA agencies do not have radios mounted in their vehicles. You're issued a portable and two batteries. With a charged battery your radio will last you at least 12 hours, at least mine do on a XTS5000R with Multiplier batteries...

JR1572

We have mobile and portables and can patch into any other agency with 700 or 800 systems.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    They sounded like a good idea to me until I read this. That would totally suck.

And this will bring about myriads of unintended Constitutional issues. And who will pay for the thousands of subpoenas from defense attorneys requesting police footage from every dipshit that gets arrested for simple possession of marijuana during a traffic stop? And what about the civil suits that await those officers that use necessary force to quell an incident, but the scumbags family files a civil suit anyway?

If you put 50,000 body cameras on police officers in one shift to make sure they are staying in line with the rules, I suspect you will see 49,980 examples of footage showing belligerent, defiant, hostile, discourteous, and sometimes provocative suspected and actual criminals doing what criminals do when they get questioned or apprehended by police.

We have entrusted our law enforcement structure to keep and maintain the law since the 1800's with a code of honor and an oath. Now all of a sudden they can't be trusted? We're f'n doomed! These anti-establishment morons continue to chip away at righteousness.

The apologists and the excuse makers are watering down the Rule of Law here. Yep! Let's not talk about the real problem facing the country, let's just make it easier for the dregs to flourish!

It is almost unbelievable that we have allowed the country to be sent to the trash bin in only 238 years with most of the damage coming in the last 40!

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I think this just more of Obama & Co. pandering to his base of miscreants.

But it would be kind of humorous seeing the police turn the tables on the camera phone morons by repeatedly asking them on camera 'ARE YOU REFUSING TO COMPLY? ARE YOU REFUSING TO COMPLY?' :dogkeke:

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    And this will bring about myriads of unintended Constitutional issues. And who will pay for the thousands of subpoenas from defense attorneys requesting police footage from every dipshit that gets arrested for simple possession of marijuana during a traffic stop? And what about the civil suits that await those officers that use necessary force to quell an incident, but the scumbags family files a civil suit anyway?

If you put 50,000 body cameras on police officers in one shift to make sure they are staying in line with the rules, I suspect you will see 49,980 examples of footage showing belligerent, defiant, hostile, discourteous, and sometimes provocative suspected and actual criminals doing what criminals do when they get questioned or apprehended by police.

We have entrusted our law enforcement structure to keep and maintain the law since the 1800's with a code of honor and an oath. Now all of a sudden they can't be trusted? We're f'n doomed! These anti-establishment morons continue to chip away at righteousness.

The apologists and the excuse makers are watering down the Rule of Law here. Yep! Let's not talk about the real problem facing the country, let's just make it easier for the dregs to flourish!

It is almost unbelievable that we have allowed the country to be sent to the trash bin in only 238 years with most of the damage coming in the last 40!

Not to mention protecting innocent people and victims of crimes.

A5Mag12

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    La-Tx
    I wish they weren't needed but in this day and age with the media always trying to make the cop look like a rogue killer of children and the public believing whatever crap they hear it has become needed. No one believes anything without video proof. As to subpoenas that's a different fight and loser pays would take care of that and many other problems at the same time. Or just post it all to the cloud free for all to see.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom