Police Officer's Essay

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coastie Paul

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Slidell, LA
    Today I stopped Caring….

by Fdny198 · December 7, 2014

By Lt Daniel Furseth, DeForest, Wisconsin Police Department

Today, I stopped caring about my fellow man. I stopped caring about my community, my neighbors, and those I serve. I stopped caring today because a once noble profession has become despised, hated, distrusted, and mostly unwanted.

I stopped caring today because parents refuse to teach their kids right from wrong and blame us when they are caught breaking the law. I stopped caring today because parents tell their little kids to be good or “the police will take you away” embedding a fear from year one. Moms hate us in their schools because we frighten them and remind them of the evil that lurks in the world.

They would rather we stay unseen, but close by if needed, but readily available to “fix their kid.” I stopped caring today because we work to keep our streets safe from mayhem in the form of reckless, drunk, high, or speeding drivers, only to be hated for it, yet hated even more because we didn’t catch the drunk before he killed someone they may know.

Nevertheless, we are just another tool used by government to generate “revenue.” I stopped caring today because Liberals hate the police as we carry guns, scare kids, and take away their drugs. We always kill innocent people with unjust violence. We are called bullies for using a Taser during a fight, but are condemned further for not first tasing the guy who pulls a gun on us.

And if we do have to shoot, we are asked “why didn’t you just shoot the gun out of their hand?” And when one of us is killed by the countless attacks that do happen (but are rarely reported in the mainstream media) the haters say, “Its just part of the job.” I stopped caring today because Conservatives hate us as we are “the Government.” We try to take away their guns, freedoms, and liberty at every turn.

We represent a “Police State” where “jackbooted badge-wearing thugs” randomly attack innocent people without cause or concern for constitutional rights. We are Waco, Ruby Ridge, and Rodney King all rolled into one lone police officer stopping to help change an old lady’s tire. I stopped caring today as no one wants us around, but instantly demands answers, results, arrests, when a crime takes place.

If a crime isn’t solved within the allocated 60 minutes it takes CSI on television, we are inept, incompetent, or covering something up. If we do get “lucky” it was just that and everyone with a Facebook account can post wonderful comments of how “they” would solve the case and how “we” are not nearly as clever.

I stopped caring today because a video of a cop six states away, from a department that you never heard of, screws up and forgets his oath of honor, thus firing up an internet lynch-mob of cop haters even though 99% of us work twice as hard not to end up in the news and to still be “the good guys.” We are “militarized” because we wear body armor and kevlar helmets when shots are fired or rocks thrown at us and carry scary looking rifles even though everyone knows that they are easier to shoot and are more accurate than a handgun or a shotgun.

I stopped caring today because the culture of today’s instantly connected youth is only there to take and never give back. To never accept responsibility for ones actions, but to blame everyone else instead of themselves. To ask “what is in it for me?” versus “what can I do for you?”

To idolize gangsters, thugs, sexually promiscuous behavior, and criminals over hard work, dedication, and achievement. To argue that getting stoned should be a right, yet getting a job or an education is a hassle. To steal verus earn. To hate versus help. Yes, I stopped caring today. But tomorrow, I will put my uniform back on and I will care again.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    thanks for the post. very refreshing after a rough patch. I think officers need more doses of positive to offset some of the constant negativity. The more time I spend with these guys, the more I see what they truly endure. They are over worked, over stressed, and... worse.

good post, and truly impeccable timing.

Last edited:

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    A very good essay. I feel for all LEO, especially with the demonization that has been occurring lately. I would like to thank all LEO that do what they do, regardless of the lack of thanks and proper payment. They put themselves in harms way and we could not function as a society without them. Their job is a hard one, a job that requires more dedication than most ever understand.

Thank you.

Scylas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    Baton Rouge
    A very good essay. I feel for all LEO, especially with the demonization that has been occurring lately. I would like to thank all LEO that do what they do, regardless of the lack of thanks and proper payment. They put themselves in harms way and we could not function as a society without them. Their job is a hard one, a job that requires more dedication than most ever understand.

Thank you.

I echo what this guy said.

On top of that, you guys put your lives on the line every single day, including the days you have off work because people know who you are. Simply being a police officer puts you in the crosshairs, that's what people don't understand. Then on top of that you have to deal with the twisted people that try to incriminate you just for defending yourself. It's got to be one of the most stressful jobs in the world. On top of THAT, you guys are done a disservice by the way you're paid. People glorify people in the medical field for saving lives, but then they forget the police that do the very same thing.

I think you guys deserve to be paid a LOT more. It's the least we could do as a society to show our appreciation.

pulpsmack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Red Stick
    I am a little conflicted by the essay...

From the point of view of the gripes, I can understand and sympathize with any officer who is unhappy with the nonsense that accompanies the job, whether directly from those the officer interacts with or indirectly from public perception or sentiment. I think if the essay was framed through an "it's harder to face each day, because..." sort of presentation, I would be on board with the author 100%. The profession is respectable and vital.

However, this presentation (such that it is) is problematic to me. I hear a voice in response to this essay (and I am NOT saying it is MY voice/sentiment) that simply says "F-you then... QUIT."

There are few jobs that compare largely with a police officer's and almost no job that parallels it directly, but there are many jobs that do parallel it in certain ways...

EMTs, Fire & Rescue put their lives on the line and though they DO in fact have a risk encountering people bent on intentional harming them with deadly force, it is not fully comparable with the frequency and magnitude that it is with police officers. Further, there is not nearly the negative perception occurring with these professions. Professions such as education (teachers) and legal (lawyers) get all the negative perception that law enforcement gets and in many ways, the comparable thanklessness for the job done, but as with the above, neither is exposed to the frequency/magnitude of health hazards an officer of the law must brave.

Many people risk life and limb for a paycheck, whether a fisherman, a rig worker, or a bicycle courier, but few people do it on behalf of the safety of another person, and fewer still with the baggage that accompanies law enforcement. I will sidestep the contentious points some may make about all the perks and privileges that also may/may not accompany the job. Instead I will say it takes a special person to perform that noble service with many of the people that benefit from that service being unappreciative jerks (some of whom are outright scum), but if the person is not one of these "special individuals" who takes the calling for all that it is including its warts, the person is probably engaged in the wrong profession.

So, if the person is blowing off steam, well put. If the person is in earnest however, then the question is whether an officer can be both competent and effective without caring. If so, it sounds like a rather unfulfilling and sad plight. If not however, the author owes it to himself, his officers, and his community to resign. That or he needs to get over this hurdle and fix his "give-a-damn."

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I am a little conflicted by the essay...

From the point of view of the gripes, I can understand and sympathize with any officer who is unhappy with the nonsense that accompanies the job, whether directly from those the officer interacts with or indirectly from public perception or sentiment. I think if the essay was framed through an "it's harder to face each day, because..." sort of presentation, I would be on board with the author 100%. The profession is respectable and vital.

However, this presentation (such that it is) is problematic to me. I hear a voice in response to this essay (and I am NOT saying it is MY voice/sentiment) that simply says "F-you then... QUIT."

There are few jobs that compare largely with a police officer's and almost no job that parallels it directly, but there are many jobs that do parallel it in certain ways...

EMTs, Fire & Rescue put their lives on the line and though they DO in fact have a risk encountering people bent on intentional harming them with deadly force, it is not fully comparable with the frequency and magnitude that it is with police officers. Further, there is not nearly the negative perception occurring with these professions. Professions such as education (teachers) and legal (lawyers) get all the negative perception that law enforcement gets and in many ways, the comparable thanklessness for the job done, but as with the above, neither is exposed to the frequency/magnitude of health hazards an officer of the law must brave.

Many people risk life and limb for a paycheck, whether a fisherman, a rig worker, or a bicycle courier, but few people do it on behalf of the safety of another person, and fewer still with the baggage that accompanies law enforcement. I will sidestep the contentious points some may make about all the perks and privileges that also may/may not accompany the job. Instead I will say it takes a special person to perform that noble service with many of the people that benefit from that service being unappreciative jerks (some of whom are outright scum), but if the person is not one of these "special individuals" who takes the calling for all that it is including its warts, the person is probably engaged in the wrong profession.

So, if the person is blowing off steam, well put. If the person is in earnest however, then the question is whether an officer can be both competent and effective without caring. If so, it sounds like a rather unfulfilling and sad plight. If not however, the author owes it to himself, his officers, and his community to resign. That or he needs to get over this hurdle and fix his "give-a-damn."

I'll put it more bluntly than the author above:

difference is that when EMT's or Fire/Rescue get there, the scene is (usually) safe and when they leave, they get told "thank you".

When police officers get there, they are thinking about whether or not they'll see their kids again and when they leave, they get told "f*kin cops. racist mofos always tramplin my rights. govt thug pos"

also, I have yet to read some story online about some skinhead anarchist that walked into an EMT station and opened fire. It's a totally thankless and selfless job these guys put up with- and even the ones I'd like to punch in the nuts deserve far more respect than they get.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    parents tell their little kids to be good or *the police will take you away*...

Nevertheless, we are just another tool used by government to generate *revenue.*...

.* We try to take away their guns, freedoms, and liberty at every turn....

We represent a *Police State* where *jackbooted badge-wearing thugs* randomly attack innocent people without cause or concern for constitutional rights. We are Waco, Ruby Ridge, and Rodney King all rolled into one lone police officer stopping to help change an old lady’s tire. I stopped caring today as no one wants us around, but instantly demands answers, results, arrests, when a crime takes place.

I stopped caring today because the culture of today’s instantly connected youth is only there to take and never give back. To never accept responsibility for ones actions, but to blame everyone else instead of themselves. To ask *what is in it for me?* versus *what can I do for you?*

Perhaps it's me, but some of these (above) just don't fit with the others, and leave me going WTF? So change it!
    I left the last one in because.... That's EVERY generation, no matter what BS propaganda the generation before yours spouts.

(puts on flame suit since I know you can't make any comment that's not COMPLETELY and TOTALLY supportive of police officers without being called a "cop basher")

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I left the last one in because.... That's EVERY generation, no matter what BS propaganda the generation before yours spouts.

Off topic, but there is no question; at least in my mind that there is a seminal shift in the attitudes of younger folks with regards to basic civility, courteousness, and overall social skills today. if you are fortunate enough to live in rural centers where the kids still have intense influence from close knit family structures, you see a wide disparity between the attitudes of those offspring and urbanites. And it's not necessarily a race issue; though that difference is apparent as well in the urban centers.

Case and point! Wal-mart Prairieville cashiers vs Winn-Dixie's right across the street! Canes in Prairieville vs Burger King in Prairieville. The examples can go on.

True, that each preceding generation says the same type of BS about the one after, but I have been living through three and a half now! Something's different!

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Off topic, but there is no question; at least in my mind that there is a seminal shift in the attitudes of younger folks with regards to basic civility, courteousness, and overall social skills today. if you are fortunate enough to live in rural centers where the kids still have intense influence from close knit family structures, you see a wide disparity between the attitudes of those offspring and urbanites. And it's not necessarily a race issue; though that difference is apparent as well in the urban centers.

Case and point! Wal-mart Prairieville cashiers vs Winn-Dixie's right across the street! Canes in Prairieville vs Burger King in Prairieville. The examples can go on.

True, that each preceding generation says the same type of BS about the one after, but I have been living through three and a half now! Something's different!

It's no secret anymore that I travel to commiefornia and atlanta multiple times a year. The "small town" mentality is so good that you've got to go somewhere where the average joe is a total pos to appreciate it. Southern folks (especially country folks) are still raised with respect, integrity, and at least fundamental beliefs in hard work and Jesus Christ.

I never stay more than 3 days in cali cause I'm not entirely certain I could go 4 without shooting someone.

jquinnett

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Bossier City, LA
    Very good point. There is a big difference in the level of service, attitude, and customer service at a Canes verse KFC, or Chic-Filet. The quality of the type of staff and I think the quality of the managers and company standards are what stands out. This shows that if the management is bad so are the staff. So good role models (parents) do make a difference. And I have seen ALL races at Canes and Chic...so it's not a race issue, it's teaching respect, responsibility, and being help accountable for standards.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Very good point. There is a big difference in the level of service, attitude, and customer service at a Canes verse KFC, or Chic-Filet. The quality of the type of staff and I think the quality of the managers and company standards are what stands out. This shows that if the management is bad so are the staff. So good role models (parents) do make a difference. And I have seen ALL races at Canes and Chic...so it's not a race issue, it's teaching respect, responsibility, and being help accountable for standards.

I'll bet it's not a pay rate issue either. I'll bet they are all about even with each other as hourly wages go.

It's what we will tolerate that dictates the slide. When I encounter a young person talking or texting on the phone while I am checking out, I call them out! If they cop an attitude, I tell them they are s**t!

I would just throw my purchase at them angrily, but they are the same morons that file frivolous lawsuits to get ahead in life; and my time and freedom is worth more than me making a statement via simple battery on a hopeless trash bag! :hs:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I'll bet it's not a pay rate issue either. I'll bet they are all about even with each other as hourly wages go.

It's what we will tolerate that dictates the slide. When I encounter a young person talking or texting on the phone while I am checking out, I call them out! If they cop an attitude, I tell them they are s**t!

I would just throw my purchase at them angrily, but they are the same morons that file frivolous lawsuits to get ahead in life; and my time and freedom is worth more than me making a statement via simple battery on a hopeless trash bag! :hs:

It's not a pay rate issue. I hired and fired my share at walmart, and they always said the pay was roughly the same as wherever they were beforehand. Stines, Oreilly, whatever. I had very kind and respectful employees at $8.00 an hour and total jerkoffs at $36.00 an hour - and vice versa.

My hiring preference has always been to current and former military, anyone that attended college while working full time, current/former leo, and for anyone that shows proper southern manners. It's become a staple here post-interview. "What's this guy like?" "Oh, he's a good ol' boy. I liked him"

As opposed to the damn temps from california that I fired this morning for telling a customer to "just wait" while he finished texting.

Note that this train is so far off track that it's now a boat- and I didn't do it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom