Police Scanners

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Not4Hire

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Any of you in the BR area into scanning? Got a Uniden BCD396T that I'd like to get programmed and going again. Tried to program it from the RadioReference site and FreeScan software, but I can't get it to work completely. Can't seem to get BRPD at all, and spotty EBRSO. Hoping someone can either walk a dummy through what I need to do, or could meet me somewhere with my laptop and scanner to show me how to do it.
    Thanks in advance.

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    I'm a long time scanner hobbiest and am the owner/moderator of Scan Baton Rouge- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scanbatonrouge/
    I don't have a Uniden BCD396T but it's a good digitracker. You should be able to track the LWIN system with no problem using it. I have a Radio Shack Pro-106 and hear BRPD and EBRSO on LWIN with no problem.
    What sites and Control Channels (CC) are you using? I recommend for the BR area you use the LSU site. http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?siteId=7298 I pick up everything well on it. BRPD, Fire, EMS, SO, St Gabriel PD, Iberville SO all come in fine in BR.
    When home in St Gabriel I tend to pick up the Geismar site better. http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?siteId=7300

Last edited:

Not4Hire

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Great question. I don't know. Long gone are the good ole' days of easy programming and understanding. The owners manual for this thing stinks, and the Freescan software is pretty good, but I don't think I am setting everything up correctly. I guess I will try again with Freescan/Radio Reference downloads and let you know my progress (or lack thereof).

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    I've never used scanner software to program my scanners. I've always toughed it out and done it the hard way, by hand. Not for everyone and I admit that when I upgraded from my Bearcat 246 analog trunktracker to the new Radio Shack Pro-106 I was really fighting with it. I went out and bought the PC programming cord from Radio Shack and got the softare. I have been a member of Radio Reference for years and submitted plenty of stuff to the database but never used the download software. I kept playing with the scanner and looking online and at the User Manual until one day....CLICK... just like that... I figured out what I was doing wrong and how things were supposed to work. I never did unpack the computer cable or the softeware. I just started working it out and getting the banks set up the way I wanted. I mainly monitor Troop A, BRPD, BRFire (St George, Central and other Parish FDs too) and EMS, Iberville SO and Fire and St Gabriel PD. Sometimes I will add or remove a talkgroup and it's easy when I can do it on the fly manually without having to find my laptop computer or programming software.

Last edited:

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    I have a pro model radio shack scanner,dont remember the model #,it's somewhere upstairs in the boxes of radio equipment.....LOL....I was getting into the scanner thing pretty heavy just about the time all of the police,sheriff,fire,govt dept's were upgrading their communications systems.....I moved after my divorce and had gotten out of the scanning and radio business...now everything is on the trunking system from what I understand and my scanner I know is entirely to old,I do remember it goes up to 900 or 950 mhz. Technology has far surpassed this machine,so I bought a triple trunking handheld from radio shack for airshows and have never programmed it!!!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    djrara323
    Top Bottom