Police violate 3rd Amendment?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Why the hell didn't they file the lawsuit 2 years ago? This incident occurred July 10th 2011.

EDIT: Ok this article lists it as a domestic violence investigation that is total non-emergency BS, the other articles I read earlier just stated a "standoff" was occurring. That lead me to believe there may have been some sort of hostage situation, still would be wrong in my opinion but SLIGHTLY more forgivable if someones life was on the line.

Also I do not understand why this was filed as a third amendment violation?

Last edited:

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    The title of the linked story is: "Family allegedly forced from home by police files rare 3rd Amendment suit"

OP's chosen title is interesting................

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    If what is in that article can be taken as the whole story, I think that the police department should have a lot to answer for, 3rd amendment argument or not. I would not voluntarily surrender my home so that the police could "investigate" my neighbor without some sort of legal documentation.

But, everyone knows how non biased and factually the media is lately.

I can't help but think there is more to this.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Didn't this just recently happen in Boston too? Did not one home owner have a problem there? Any lawsuits? Any updates?

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I think y'all are reading a bit much into the title... he even ended it with a question mark, which indicates it's not answered, just that it's the question being asked.

I've seen this story circulated a lot lately and I'm really, really, really curious what the **** went on there. I've got no real problem with it unless the story is reasonably true and the courts find it was ok. Then I'd be pissed. There's a whole lot of "don't know enough to say" right now though.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    IANAL obviously, but a quick googling shows that of the very few cases on the 3rd Amendment protections in our history, it seems like the 3rd Amendment was incorporated by the 14th in one ruling, which means it would apply to the agents of the State as well as the Fed... maybe? I haven't read the suit so I can't say what their claim is or the basis, but maybe it's not as easy as the literal/face-value text of the Amendment is, much like most of our Amendments are.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    I don't know that that was his intent. Don't care.

As far as the story goes, there HAS to be more this than a simple domestic violence investigation.

Cops don't do go to this kind of extreme for something as common as that. We aren't hearing the whole story.

And if they DID go to this extreme, they're nuts and need to pay these people.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    I don't know that that was his intent. Don't care.

As far as the story goes, there HAS to be more this than a simple domestic violence investigation.

Cops don't do go to this kind of extreme for something as common as that. We aren't hearing the whole story.

And if they DID go to this extreme, they're nuts and need to pay these people.

Yup, even Denzel got himself a warrant.

training-day.jpg

Wagon_Master

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    And as far as discussion, I think they're going to lose.

Police officers are not soldiers or members of the military.

Do you find this statement to be a justification of the officers actions? If so please explain. I know that I must tread lightly here as many have been banned for speaking ill of law enforcement in the the past, yet I still will ask.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    matticus1631
    Top Bottom