Politicians pay raise

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I really believe that these folks shouldn't make a dime for their positions. Personally I want legislators to be people successful enough not to need a ten, twenty, fifty or hundred thousand dollar salary from the taxpayers to support them. If money is not a need of these folks then it would really cut the crap out of a lot of what Louisiana got itself a bad name for.

Lawmaking should not be a money-making enterprise. Lawmaking should be a volunteer effort to make the state a better place.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    We're losing sight of the big picture . It doesn't matter whether it was 2X or 3X their salary . The people of this state said NO ! We elected these people , we pay their salaries , they should be accountable to us . No matter how they try to justify it , they went against the overwhelming majority of the voters and did it anyway . No other topic has generated this kind of a response from the voters ( lately ) and yet they ignored them .
    If the current salary isn't enough for some of them , they are in the wrong business . That's what the PEOPLE have said , and that should be enough .

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    for those saying negatives about Bobby Jindal..... chill
    I think he's made a cool, calm and calculated decision. He's not trying to start anything with these guys so that he can push through his own legislation, and at the same time... he's giving these people just enough rope to hang themselves.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I think he's made a cool, calm and calculated decision. He's not trying to start anything with these guys so that he can push through his own legislation, and at the same time... he's giving these people just enough rope to hang themselves.

Ha! I never even thought about it that way. There was a pretty big backlash against a lot of candidates in another state recently. . . . I think Missouri? Something like this could help to get a new set of legislators into congress (and hopefully conservative ones). I put my faith in Bobby.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana

Well, he's doing a good job of hanging himself. While legislators are getting a big raise, state employees remain screwed when it comes to thing like Cost of Living pay increases and such, general pay raises, and screwing up programs due to budget cuts.

This guy is a joke, just watch.

I'll gladly admit that I'm wrong if he proves me wrong.

P7M8

"IE" Chantilly Import
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Metro New Orleans Area
    Jindal stated in campaign literature that he would not allow legislators to give themselves a raise that would go into effect in that same term.

I guess he forgot about that promise.

Here's a link to the article with the PDF. It's on page five, bottom left.

Story

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    If you oppose the pay raise write the people who voted for it. Bobby did not veto it because he had legislation that would have been voted down if he had done so. His hands could have been tied the rest of his term as governor and nothing got done. His stand is simple. You voted them in and you can vote them out... Otherwise we would have four years of deadlock.

Toby

bah
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2007
    CocoDrie Ferry
    This will come back to bite him, assuming he has higher political goals in the future. I sincerely hope he runs for President in the next 4 or 8 years. Not vetoing this legislation will be a huge mark on his otherwise good record of cleaning up corruption.

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Well, he's doing a good job of hanging himself. While legislators are getting a big raise, state employees remain screwed when it comes to thing like Cost of Living pay increases and such, general pay raises, and screwing up programs due to budget cuts.
    I know more about government employees pay rates than I care too first hand...

this is a non-issue - the state lawmakers were underpaid for many many years for the time that they put in. It's sad that it got that far apart from where it should have been, only the extremely wealthy could afford to hold office. Is that who you want running 100% of the show? The original triple rate was outrageous, and I'm sure as Jindal expected the people spoke out about it - he let the people govern themselves, was that a bad idea?:confused:

the law makers quickly rescinded and made changes to roughly double where they were, which puts them at a rate that is much more reasonable. I don't know exactly what they deserve, but I do know that there's no way I could consider being a law maker even part time on what they were getting.

so the whole issue is that the law makers are now making "decent" money for their time, they are making more than the snot nosed kid at the local burger joint, I don't think that's a bad thing.

one thing I will point out - those huge increases were probably triggered because all the crooked politicians enjoying all those perks that now are regulated in the new ethics laws needed to make up the difference somewhere :rofl:

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    one thing I will point out - those huge increases were probably triggered because all the crooked politicians enjoying all those perks that now are regulated in the new ethics laws needed to make up the difference somewhere :rofl:

I wouldn't doubt that for a second!

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    we'll see, it's cool if you support him...I'm just going to wait and see what he does, he's in office already.

So far I am terribly unimpressed.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I know more about government employees pay rates than I care too first hand...

this is a non-issue - the state lawmakers were underpaid for many many years for the time that they put in. It's sad that it got that far apart from where it should have been, only the extremely wealthy could afford to hold office. Is that who you want running 100% of the show? The original triple rate was outrageous, and I'm sure as Jindal expected the people spoke out about it - he let the people govern themselves, was that a bad idea?:confused:

the law makers quickly rescinded and made changes to roughly double where they were, which puts them at a rate that is much more reasonable. I don't know exactly what they deserve, but I do know that there's no way I could consider being a law maker even part time on what they were getting.

so the whole issue is that the law makers are now making "descent" money for their time, they are making more than the snot nosed kid at the local burger joint, I don't think that's a bad thing.

Decent amount? The pay is 8 in the US and our state is where in rank? 49? What part of IT IS A PART TIME JOB do people not understand? These asshats knew when they ran for office what the job paid and what the duties were. And those two foul animals from New Orleans one talking about having to eat at Wendy's and the other pumping her mushy fist in celebration of passing legislation that has more descent and outcry than any that I remember. I personally am thoroughly outraged that they passed this even after knowing how the public felt about it, as everyone should be. :mad:

Last edited:

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    These asshats knew when they ran for office what the job paid and what the duties were.

And so does teachers, LEOs etc... the difference they have for the most part unions to help them. I am glad they got the money now some decent candidates might run for office. Look at the potential for people who might have wanted the job; but not for that low of pay. Now you might get people who actually give a damn.

The people said no . Therefore , the answer is no .
    Since when has it ever been about the people?

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    And so does teachers, LEOs etc... the difference they have for the most part unions to help them. I am glad they got the money now some decent candidates might run for office. Look at the potential for people who might have wanted the job; but not for that low of pay. Now you might get people who actually give a damn.

Since when has it ever been about the people?

You really think that the quality of the candidates will improve ? That's a joke , right ? :D

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Tim, our teachers and LEOs do not make a salary that is #8 in the country, nor do they work what is considered a part time job. Most legislators are lawyers and do that full time and make more money than any of us doing that alone.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    I thought a school year was only 9 months out of a year with long holidays in between, I work year round do you? I have nothing against teachers and have family that are teachers and they do a job that I won't do. The thing is they knew what they were getting into when they started college and yet they bitch and picket all the time demanding more money etc... So to say the legislatures knew the pay when they signed on don't give it to them, should apply to all no matter if the job is full or part time.

If our teachers were given a raise that made them 8th in the country would you have a problem with it?

Top Bottom