Poll on *Hunting* Shotgun(Semi-Auto)*Advice Needed*

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which 12 ga. Semi-Auto Shotgun would you choose? *and why*

• Benelli

Votes: 16 27.6%
    • Beretta

Votes: 19 32.8%
    • Browning

Votes: 12 20.7%
    • Mossberg

Votes: 5 8.6%
    • Norinco

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • Remington

Votes: 3 5.2%
    • Weatherby

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • Winchester

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Most folks who know me know that I'm no slouch when it comes to researching and descion making when it comes to making firearm purchases.

So like a lot of folks too I've grown up under the Remington(American Made) Label and have been faithful to it for the most part. I've got a Rem. 870 Express 20ga. that my Ol'Man got me when they first came out. It's been flawless through it's almost 20 years and 8k+ Shells later.

However it seems clear that besides the 870 & 1100 all other Rem. Shotguns(Recently) have and are suffering from severe LACK of Quality Control.

Being in the business of finding my FIRST 12 Ga. Semi-Auto Hunting Shotgun, naturally my first thoughts were towards Remington.

and onto the VersaMax. Yes I have read the ENTIRE 92 page(1836 posts) Epic VersaMax Topic on ShotgunWorld.com.

I've read many of the complaints and praises about the VersaMax and as hard as it is to admit I just can't get these few thoughts out of my head. Why would a company allow for their Flagship Shotgun to continue to be pushed out with obvious MAJOR flaws? Bent Barrels, Bent Mag Tubes, FTE's due to a sharp edge on the shell catcher etc. I know folks who are VERY happy with their VersaMax's and I know those who have been sent 3 different barrels, and have had their VM replaced 2-3 times and some who have just got a refund and moved on.

So I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm just finding it very difficult to sink $1200-1500 in a Shotgun(Remington VMax) that may or may not work when I get it.

So I'm looking outwards.

As it stands it seems Berretta & Benelli currently own the field in Waterfowl Type Hunting Autoloaders. With Browning, Winchester, Remington and Mossberg in the field of play too.

For now I'm MOSTLY interested in hearing reviews and thoughts on Beretta’s(A400 Xtreme) and/or Benelli's(Vinci/Super Vinci) but by all means please don't hold back on any other gun manufactures who are producing these type shotguns.

BTW You can look on Shotgunworld.com right now and see topics on Benelli and Beretta’s failing to function so I'm aware they aren't all FLAWLESS ;)

Fire away folks.

Last edited:

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    The versa-max looks good but I don't see spending that kind of money on one. I've never been a big fan of Remington's semi-automatics.

I voted Beretta because that's what I shoot now, and I love it. It's actually the cheaper 3901 Beretta but it's still a nice gun. My dad shoots an Extrema 2, also very nice. However, he had a piece break on it, and my Uncle has a 20ga 3901 that never really cycled that well. So, like you said, they're not flawless.

I've never been a fan of the look of Benelli's but I've heard they're nice guns.

My first 12ga was a Browning Gold. It was a very good gun, just a bit heavy in comparison to my 3901. I haven't shot a Maxus but it points very well IMO.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't have a problem owning any of the major brands, but I can honestly say that I would not spend more than $1000 on any of them at the moment. I've been so happy with my 3901, I don't see a reason to spend that much.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Me and my extended family are running 9 Beretta Xtremas 390s and 400s. For the past 5-6 years the only problem was a choke somehow broke in the barrel and the barrel had to be replaced.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Thanks for that post.

Yea my Dad picked up a 20ga. Beretta 300? maybe and that joker would NOT Cycle low brass. Anything else and it was a smooth/soft shooting rascal for sure.

I shoot clays with a guy who's Benelli SBE II would not even cycle Rem. Premier Nitro Gold Sporting Clays Target Ammo.
    Even after smothering it with Hoppes #9. Dude was a bit pissed off. High Brass all day long though.

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Me and my extended family are running 9 Beretta Xtremas 390s and 400s. For the past 5-6 years the only problem was a choke somehow broke in the barrel and the barrel had to be replaced.

Did they replace the barrel for free?

Also any of them have the A400 Xtreme? LINK

How's that foot?

tashle1

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Pointe coupee
    I have an SBE that I bought in 2000. I've duck hunted with it in some the harshest conditions that the atchafalaya basin/delta can throw at it. The gun isn't babied and has yet to let me down. I like the simplicity of the design as well as the slim lines of the shotgun. I do break it down and thoroughly clean it at least once a year. Simply put, best shotgun investment I've made.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Being a Remington 1100 man all my life for ducks and rabbits I would never turn my nose at them. And I still use them and will continue to do so until they crap out. But I will never buy ANY shotgun from here on out than a Beretta.

And here's why;

Two years ago I went to Argentina for doves. All they had was Beretta auto-loaders. They were not new, they were well used by the many that hunted at this place before me. I personally ran over 200 boxes (5000), shells through the same two guns for 6 hunts.

They jammed 4 times only!

End of story for me!

tashle1

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Pointe coupee
    I shoot clays with a guy who's Benelli SBE II would not even cycle Rem. Premier Nitro Gold Sporting Clays Target Ammo.
    Even after smothering it with Hoppes #9. Dude was a bit pissed off. High Brass all day long though.[/QUOTE]

Smothering it with hoppes is no good!! The SBEs are designed to run dang near dry, a very light coating of then oil is all that is needed. I shoot with 5 guys that have SBE IIs and they have had 0 problems with low brass. I clean mine with hot water and dawn to get the funk out. I dry everything out then very lightly spray a little rem oil and a dab of oil and that's it.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Smothering it with hoppes is no good!! The SBEs are designed to run dang near dry, a very light coating of then oil is all that is needed.

It was a last resort. It was semi-dry to start. By Stage 9 it still wouldn't feed the Rem. Nitro so he wanted to add lube. We did. He ended up putting it in the truck and trading off with his son who was shooting an old A5.

Last edited:

tashle1

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Pointe coupee
    Hitman, as you stated benelli and beretta are at the forefront of waterfowl shotguns. I believe that what it's going to boil down to is fit and feel. Both (beretta/benelli) are excellent shotguns. Classic ford v Chevy.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Hitman, as you stated benelli and beretta are at the forefront of waterfowl shotguns. I believe that what it's going to boil down to is fit and feel. Both (beretta/benelli) are excellent shotguns. Classic ford v Chevy.

Yea and I plan on visiting a few stores that have each on the shelf. I've got some friends who have Benelli's but none that have the A400 Xtreme.

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    I like that new A400 Xtreme!

If I was going to go all out on a new shotgun, that would probably be it. I haven't shot one though...

Like tashle said... it's going to come down to fit and feel. They're all good guns, and they've all had isolated problems here and there.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    I have a 400 xtreme, been using it for 2 flawless seasons now. What you want to know about it? It has shot every shell I have put in it, from light target loads up to 1-9/16 oz steel. The kickoff "mega" in the wrist of the stock is MUCH better than the older style kickoff on the 400 unico's. Opening day, a guy hunting with us had a plastic ammo can full of winchester shells that got wet and the brass was all rusted. One of these shells jammed his 870 super-mag up pretty good, and when we got back to the houseboat, he asked me to chunk them in the water. I proceded to shoot about 50 of them through my gun.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I have a 400 xtreme, been using it for 2 flawless seasons now. What you want to know about it? It has shot every shell I have put in it, from light target loads up to 1-9/16 oz steel. The kickoff "mega" in the wrist of the stock is MUCH better than the older style kickoff on the 400 unico's. Opening day, a guy hunting with us had a plastic ammo can full of winchester shells that got wet and the brass was all rusted. One of these shells jammed his 870 super-mag up pretty good, and when we got back to the houseboat, he asked me to chunk them in the water. I proceded to shoot about 50 of them through my gun.

Have you shot 3 1/2's through it? If so what brand? As early as last month I see some folks having issues with firing 3 1/2's out of the gun claiming the shell carrier pushes the shell too high not allowing it to feed. This is supposedly ONLY a 3 1/2 Shell issue and possibly rare at that.

Thoughts?

pntbllr228

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Right by LSU
    I voted beretta, but I would take a benelli too.

If you look at the large hunting clubs in Mexico, Argentina, etc., they all keep a stable of berettas and benellis. They do that because they last - forever. Many of those guns see a couple thousand rounds a day for years. I have a 390 that has been rode hard and put away wet and never cleaned, and it had never hiccuped.

I'm a beretta guy because of that.

Last edited:

cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    I am sticking to my guns and saying browning maxus :D I love mine but treat it like crap yet it has never let me down. But anything Beretta is a good choice as well.

Sully

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 1, 2012
    Sulphur
    Can't go wrong with the three Bs...

Browning
    Berretta
    Benelli

I have shot a browning maxus for three seasons....i hunt a good bit. I love my gun. But If I had to choose a second I'd go with a Beretta, 3rd Benelli.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Have you shot 3 1/2's through it? If so what brand? As early as last month I see some folks having issues with firing 3 1/2's out of the gun claiming the shell carrier pushes the shell too high not allowing it to feed. This is supposedly ONLY a 3 1/2 Shell issue and possibly rare at that.

Thoughts?

A whole case of fiocchi 3.5" 1-9/16 oz 1470 fps #2's, and almost a case of 3.5" federal premium ultra shok 1-3/8 oz 1550 fps #3's, with nary a problem.

Last edited:

BlackStallion

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I bought a new beretta 400xtreme this year and so far I love it! So far it's shot everything I've fed through it from skeet and trap loads to duck loads. I haven't had the opportunity yet to fire 3 1/2 inch shells yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom