Polymer 80 Raided by ATF

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I'd be surprised because I've never heard of any law or opinion that states you have to own the property and tools you make a firearm on/with, and it sounds kind of ridiculous. I'm wrong about stuff all the time, so if you can find the source, please fact check it and share if it checks out. That said, I would hate misinformation to be spread and for law-abiding gun owners to think their rights are limited further than they already are, based on a misleading article or youtube video.

Is it possible this is what you were referring to referring to? https://www.atf.gov/file/11711/download

Held, any person (including any corporation or other legal entity) engaged in the business of performing machining, molding, casting, forging, printing (additive manufacturing) or other manufacturing process to create a firearm frame or receiver, or to make a frame or receiver suitable for use as part of a *weapon ... which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive,* i.e., a *firearm,* must be licensed as a manufacturer under the GCA; identify (mark) any such firearm; and maintain required manufacturer’s records.

Held further, a business (including an association or society) may not avoid the manufacturing license, marking, and recordkeeping requirements of the GCA by allowing persons to perform manufacturing processes on blanks or incomplete firearms (including frames or receivers) using machinery, tools, or equipment under its dominion and control where that business controls access to, and use of, such machinery, tools, or equipment.

Oh so when did the second part of that go into effect? I vaguely remember a machine shop was having 80% parties where they allowed multiple people in to use their machines to finish their 80% lowers and they got into a ton of trouble for that. I wonder if that was in place before they did that or if it was put on the books after they got in trouble to make it very clear that it was not allowed.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Oh so when did the second part of that go into effect? I vaguely remember a machine shop was having 80% parties where they allowed multiple people in to use their machines to finish their 80% lowers and they got into a ton of trouble for that. I wonder if that was in place before they did that or if it was put on the books after they got in trouble to make it very clear that it was not allowed.

If I recall, there was a shop in Covington that was shut down due to letting customers cut their 80% lowers in house.

Top Bottom