Poor Marlin 783 22 Magnum

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    It's a shame what some people will do to a nice rifle in the name of custom work.
    This is the story of a poor Marlin 783 that got another chance.
    about two years ago walked into a gun shop to have a look around. One of the guys there knows that I like 22s and work on stocks. When he saw me walk in he said to me, "I got you a 22 for your collection". He then pulled a bolt action Marlin off the rack and handed it to me. Oh the poor thing, I wanted to cry due to the un godly things that were done to it. There was wood filler and something else in a large area on the right side of the buttstock. There were small holes all over the stock. It looked like some one had used tacks to decorate the stock at one time. The tacks had been removed and the holes filled with a light colored wood filler. The right front of the stock had been glued back on with wood glue. I handed it back to him and said no thank you.
    He then said he would let me have it for $100. I told him I would think about it and left the store.
    Latter that day I went back to the store. I left again with the rifle in hand and $98 less in my pocket. :D
    The rifle sat with my other project guns untill May of last year.

A gun could get lost in this place.
    2pph2l3.jpg

Here are a few pics of the Marlin.
    i4pudc.jpg

wjc6yo.jpg

2isjb6u.jpg

1qlhd1.jpg

2hmn1tw.jpg

s4z3i1.jpg

23hkky0.jpg

First off I needed to know if the stock was salvageable so, I stripped it.
    11vsm69.jpg

There were two deep holes and deep cut ugly checkering of some kind on the right side of the buttstock. I have no clue why this was done to the stock, but it appeares that someone wad trying to fix something that someone else had done to the stock before.
    16kaufd.jpg

2qco1z9.jpg

After taking a good look at the stock I decided that I would try and save it.

The big issue was the buttstock. I looked at it like it had cancer and cut out the ugly and replace it with good wood.
    2vjd6qs.jpg

f0oznp.jpg

w71jpk.jpg

I used Acraglas to fill the tack holes and chips.
    kd39tg.jpg

2cmp05l.jpg

2cgyq0p.jpg

2zxxr0y.jpg

I also found another crack in the stock. It was an easy fix.
    n21z13.jpg

1190a3a.jpg

a9yys.jpg

ke7uxi.jpg

5ea4qs.jpg

The plan was to stain the stock to help hide the many repairs then apply an oil finish.

I stained the stock with Chestnut Ridge Military Stock Stain and applied the first coat of BLO.
    It still needed 2 more hand rubbed coats of BLO and a wax top coat, but it looked like it was going to look nice.
    2nlcuab.jpg

30tm5vq.jpg

xfyyyx.jpg

2yvqip0.jpg

ngubl5.jpg

ieo4ti.jpg

2qn5xf5.jpg

1t7zo3.jpg

This project took me about three weeks to finihs. How do you think it looks?
    I wanted to keep that BTDT Look (Been There, Done That) because I don't plan on refinishing the metal.
    2n19l6u.jpg

9ub01v.jpg

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    Old 781? I've got one, it's my favorite small game rifle.

edit nmd, see 783 in subject now, so its the 22 mag version.

Last edited:

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    I have a good bit of walnut for making repairs, but didn't have a wide enough piece for the repair so I had to use two piecses. I had everything clamped in place and then knocked it over.:doh: I had to hurry and reset evrything before the epoxy set up. I hate it when that happens.
    I could have cleaned up the tack holes and marks better, but I wiuld have had to do a lot of sanding and that would have cut into the checkering. The object was to have a well used bit taken care of look. And not to have that just refinished look. I've had a few people look at it and ask how long ago did I refinish it. One asked that about a week or so after I had finished the rifle.
    I had almost had a frined Park the rifle and put it into a synthetic stock, but what fun would have that been.

Top Bottom