Possible scam in Baton Rouge area??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    Background- I work for a construction company and we just started a job near Airline/Florida Blvd.

On the second day a guy in a white pick-up shows up with a bed full of new equipment. I believe it was a couple of honda gennys, a diesel welding machine and a pressure washer. They were all obviously brand new. I missed the first part of what he was saying (he was talking to my boss) but I gathered that his boss had sent him out to try and sell the items for cheap as they were incorrect from a shipment or were received as extras. Like I said I missed the important part but he had a professional looking notebook with the specs of the equipment and their prices. We of course passed because we didn't really need anything but when the guy left we both felt like it was fishy as hell.

Thoughts?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Meh. Its possible. There are some companies that sell slightly detective or extra equipment. I would lean towards then being stolen though.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    They are all junk. If you look up any of the brands, they actually have a website but it is a bogus website that has very few functions.

DO NOT BUY ANY OF THIS EQUIPMENT! You are right, it is a scam. The line they use most is that they just went to a trade show and they would rather sell all of this stuff at a loss than haul it back to wherever they are going. My dad got taken 2 years ago for 2 generators and a power washer. All died after a couple hours of use. Both will cost more to fix than they are worth.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    A buddy of mine and I were about to head out of town with his offroad buggy on the trailer and was approached by a guy matching that description with same kinda gear. Told us if we bought the welder, we could have the rest. That was in denham.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    We've seen them at the welding shop a few times a year. Last time my old man tried selling them a busted ass welding machine and they left. Always funny when he does that. The best is when he tries to sell socks to the AFLAC people that come by all the time! :rofl:

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    It's junk. I could import the un-branded items from some Chinese wholesalers I know for a much lower price than Tahoe is advertising them for, however NONE of them would offer a warranty on the product of longer than 30 days.

81HarleyRydr

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Junk or good stuff doesn't really make a real difference if it is stolen and that is where I would place my wager

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    It is identical to the van speaker scam. Cheap knockoff junk, they show you msrp of 4 times what actual decent stuff costs and try to sell it to you for a fraction of that. If you pay more than scrap iron price for it, you are getting screwed. These guys are pros, they travel the country doing this. The stuff will either be made to look like real name brand stuff or have a very similar name to high end equipment. It is very low quality and by the time you figure it out, they will be in another area pulling the same scam on someone else.
    There are variations to it, sometimes they show you one thing that is real and have the knockoff still in the box and pass it off to you after getting your cash.

Of course there are always people peddling stolen stuff, but it sounds like the cheap junk guys are who you met.

Top Bottom