Potential buyers that disappear ..

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Why do people act like they're interested in your item and then just seem to vaporize into thin air ? They express an interest , even request additional pics and then
    POOF ..gone . How hard is it to say " Sorry , not what I'm looking for . Thanks anyway , etc " ? Common courtesy , right ? These people get added to my " Do not fly " list and I will not do business with them for any price .

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Why do people act like they're interested in your item and then just seem to vaporize into thin air ? They express an interest , even request additional pics and then
    POOF ..gone . How hard is it to say " Sorry , not what I'm looking for . Thanks anyway , etc " ? Common courtesy , right ? These people get added to my " Do not fly " list and I will not do business with them for any price .

Just the nature of the beast, unfortunately.

I have posted WTS ads on FB a few times and I usually get 30-50 messages with the generic "Hey, is this still available" followed up by silence.

I imagine a lot of times people see cool toys on here that they'd like to have. They message the seller and then between the responses they reconsider. I know I've done it before. I usually will tell them "actually, I changed my mind, but I appreciate it," but it's easy to forget.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Sorry Austin , I'm not buying the " forgot " thing . You send pics , then a separate email a couple of days later and no response to either ? No , that's just inconsiderate . Yeah it's the nature of the beast but it's still wrong .

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Sorry Austin , I'm not buying the " forgot " thing . You send pics , then a separate email a couple of days later and no response to either ? No , that's just inconsiderate . Yeah it's the nature of the beast but it's still wrong .

I mean I'm with you in that it's inconsiderate, but it's just how selling things on the internet is.

A lot of people are always interested, a few will reach out (and subsequently change their mind), and even fewer will try to initiate a purchase. Unfortunately, it's just how it is.

I do agree that folks really should let the seller know if they change their mind, but I don't think it'll ever consistently happen.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    See, you just need to deal with me exclusively, lol!
    Seriously though, I feel the same Dan. And I also keep a list. As many miles as I rack up and the hours I keep the last thing I need is somebody wasting my time. You’d think they should feel the same way, but some folks ain’t exactly got nothing pressing so I guess they don’t comprehend that concept. I feel kinda bad for not reading/just deleting their PM’s later on…..not really.

iomg8

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 12, 2020
    lafayette, la
    at least they stop responding, some guy freaked me out when he stopped messaging me after I drove somewhere to sell my gun. Like wtf, am I am to get shot/robbed, or you just flaked out.

Anyway signed him up for spam texts 2 weeks later LOL

TheWhiteHorse

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 28, 2018
    lafayette
    I once had a guy want to meet up to see an item. He then backed out and said that I was shady. He then contacted me a few days later to know if we could try to meet up again.

snipehunter7

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 31, 2016
    Franklinton, LA
    I once had a guy want to meet up to see an item. He then backed out and said that I was shady. He then contacted me a few days later to know if we could try to meet up again.

So did y’all meet up again?

People are strange. I had someone ask 1,000 questions because I no longer had a factory CARDBOARD box. I met the guy in the middle of the workday at my office — who does that if they’re shady?? I sure don’t have the space to store cardboard boxes for long guns that aren’t collectible.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Glad to know I’m not the only one who’s shady around here, lol!
    I’ve had mostly good experiences with the folks I’ve dealt with here. Only a couple of sketchy deals, maybe one or two that pissed me off. The feedback system works pretty well but not everyone participates. They should realize that it’s the first thing I consider when dealing with someone here. I’ll deal with a member with zero feedback, but I’m not so eager if that person gives any indication of being less than 100%. If I want a freakshow I’ll go play with the Craigslist crowd.

LS1RX7

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 27, 2010
    Slidell
    Had a seller on here do the same thing on a vehicle, text back and forth, said I'd be in touch the following day, I arranged a tow and he ghosted. Im thinking he sold it to someone else or decided it was worth more than he was asking, but a simple text would suffice to say it's no longer available.

Jadams74

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2019
    Ponchatoula, Louisiana
    at least they stop responding, some guy freaked me out when he stopped messaging me after I drove somewhere to sell my gun. Like wtf, am I am to get shot/robbed, or you just flaked out.

Anyway signed him up for spam texts 2 weeks later LOL

Same thing happened to me. I drove all the way to New Orleans from the Northshore and when I got to the meeting point the guy texted me wanting to meet somewhere else. When I got to the 2nd meeting place, radio silence from the "buyer". I was unhappy to say the least.

tjkenn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2021
    Metairie, LA
    It happens. People are curious but then get busy with something else and forget about it. If the same person keeps doing it to you just ignore them.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Same thing happened to me. I drove all the way to New Orleans from the Northshore and when I got to the meeting point the guy texted me wanting to meet somewhere else. When I got to the 2nd meeting place, radio silence from the "buyer". I was unhappy to say the least.
    I hope you left him a negative rating on iTrader.

If people habitually behave like assholes we will absolutely ban them.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge

A guy on this forum? Happens on LA Sportsman every now and then (although in the last 6 months, LAS has been rife with ridiculous scammers), but I have never had something like that happen here. Some non-responsiveness to messages, occasionally, and a couple getting the item sold to someone else after an agreement (got a better last minute offer, I suppose) but never a scammy no-show from someone on here.

TheWhiteHorse

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 28, 2018
    lafayette
    So did y’all meet up again?

People are strange. I had someone ask 1,000 questions because I no longer had a factory CARDBOARD box. I met the guy in the middle of the workday at my office — who does that if they’re shady?? I sure don’t have the space to store cardboard boxes for long guns that aren’t collectible.
    Hell no he pissed me off lol.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    As young man I worked in sales. What you’re experiencing is quite common and was the accepted normal.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Glad to know I’m not the only one who’s shady around here, lol!
    I’ve had mostly good experiences with the folks I’ve dealt with here. Only a couple of sketchy deals, maybe one or two that pissed me off. The feedback system works pretty well but not everyone participates. They should realize that it’s the first thing I consider when dealing with someone here. I’ll deal with a member with zero feedback, but I’m not so eager if that person gives any indication of being less than 100%. If I want a freakshow I’ll go play with the Craigslist crowd.

id say out of all the people I’ve dealt with here the vast majority were good experiences but you went above and beyond. You don’t even get that kind of service these days from big box stores.

Last edited:

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    On the flip side I also had a guy go nuts on me after asking him a couple of questions about a gun he was selling. We never agreed to meet and I never said I ok I’ll take it. I guess somehow in his mind me asking him questions was a sealed deal. He started flipping out on me telling me he would spread the word and make sure I was black listed from the forum lol. I was pretty new here at the time and hadn’t dealt with many people. I was hesitant to ask anyone a question about an item I was interested in after that until I realized the guy was just nuts and desperate to get rid of the gun he was selling.

vr1967

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Liberty, MS
    There is also the other end of the spectrum: people selling something after you said you’d take it.

I agreed to buy something Saturday night, but told buyer I couldn’t be there until Monday, as it was my weekend to work 16 hr nights. At 10:30pm Saturday night his last message was that he would see me Monday. I replied that he wouldn’t hear from me Sunday because of the 16s and hour and 15 minute one way commute to work for me. Got a thumbs up back from him.

Monday morning when I got off, I messaged, said I was running home to shower and head that way, to which he replied, *Oh, I sold it yesterday*

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    What about if they show up and meet but it's just a bad experience?

I drove over an hour to meet someone-he drove 30 mins. He said he was stuck in parade traffic and would be late. No problem, I waited by myself an extra half hour for him to show.

He then tells me that his friend was in "Special Forces" and that my Eotech 512 was fake (should have know then, just say you're not interested instead of all that). It had the box and sticker on the bottom, but I guess they could be fakes as well. He asked if I was still interested in his Primary Arms scope for trade, and I declined. I emailed L3, and they said they could not verify the serial number over the phone or email. I let it get to me so much that I wound up sending it in for them to tell me...it was genuine and working properly.

I eventually sold it on Ebay for a higher value than what I was trading for, but I lost out on a couple of hours of time, gas, and paying to ship it. I have to take the blame for some of it, but lesson learned.

Top Bottom