Poulan P335 Weed Trimmer: Huge Piece of S**T

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    To everyone who has a Stihl or Echo:

What model number do you all have and/or recommend?

I got my money back on the Poulan and I'll be buying another trimmer here soon. Just want to do my research first.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    I have had a Craftsman straight shaft eater for about 7 or 8 years now. Never a problem. Never been to tyhe shop. Has original spark plug. Starts on 2nd pull when cold.

I also have a B&D 12 volt electric eater and it has some power. Had about 4 years now.

Cocked

Feeling Cocky
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Round up + Pre-emergent + surfactant/spreader sticker = no weedeater needed - ever

IF you must or absolutely need a torture device/weedeater buy a straight shaft Shindaiwa and marvel at its quality and longevity. At very least your grandchildren will have a bad ass engine for a RC airplane after you're dead.

yamatitan

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    To everyone who has a Stihl or Echo:

What model number do you all have and/or recommend?

I got my money back on the Poulan and I'll be buying another trimmer here soon. Just want to do my research first.

Really doesnt matter you cant go wrong with any model. Just remember more expensive USUALLY means better like getting a commercial model over a residential model.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    IF you must or absolutely need a torture device/weedeater buy a straight shaft Shindaiwa and marvel at its quality and longevity. At very least your grandchildren will have a bad ass engine for a RC airplane after you're dead.

I was suprised that I had to get this far in this thread before seeing Shindaiwa mentioned. Poor fellas and thier Echo's :mamoru:

Whichever model you get, first thing before cranking it, take the spark arrestor screen out of the muffler. The shindaiwa is just a simple philips head screw to remove, and yank it out wtih pliers, on the echo you have to take the muffler off the side of the engine, and remove it out from the center of the muffler. If you don't, it WILL get clogged with soot/carbon/oil/gunk and cause it to run like pewp and be extremely hard to start

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA

What makes the Shindaiwa so much better than the Echo and Stihl line?

What model of Shindaiwa would you reccomend?

mbraud4

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    St. Amant
    Shindaiwa T270 all the way, of their current lineup...

Been in Lawncare for 5 years now and have not touched anything else...

Ive used the T261s, T270s, T272s, and T350...For normal home use...a T260 would be fine, but I say get a T270 if you are going to spend the money, it can cut through thicker brush no problem. Only get a T350 if you plan on only cutting through the thickest jungle brush...it is a beast...but is heavy as hell.

We normally get 3-5 years out of a Shindaiwa and that is cutting 100-120 properties a week...so it should last you a few lifetimes for just your home. But the biggest thing is you wont run into the dreaded cheap weedeater problems. The speed feed heads are sweet for restringing...idk I love Shindaiwa...

They are pricey but you do get what you pay for.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    For the average homeowner, a shindaiwa homepro 20T is more than enough, and will last a long time. Anything larger than the 26x's is way overkill, unless you have huge drainage ditches to keep cleared.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    I just had the last straw with my POS Poulan PPB250E weed eater and tossed it( literally) in the trash. I had a friend who is a small engine mechanic tune it, but it only worked for a little while then started running like **** again. I am so frustrated with this piece of **** that I got the wife pissed off at me when I threw it away. I also sent Poulan a "nice" e-mail just to make myself feel better. Maybe I while find someone with a .50 BMG who will let me shot the dang thing. That might make me feel real good! Anyone have one?? lol

Bam Bam

Last edited:

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    We bought a Stihl for my brother to use when he turned 14. He used it for about 3 summers cutting grass - and he isn't the type to take care of things. Imagine full throttle runs at 13,000~ rpms for 20 minutes straight.

My brother is about to turn 27, and I used the weedeater yesterday to do our lawn. Still runs like a champ, and the only maintenance we've done was changing the spark plug 5 or 6 years ago.

-Dave

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    We bought a Stihl for my brother to use when he turned 14. He used it for about 3 summers cutting grass - and he isn't the type to take care of things. Imagine full throttle runs at 13,000~ rpms for 20 minutes straight.

My brother is about to turn 27, and I used the weedeater yesterday to do our lawn. Still runs like a champ, and the only maintenance we've done was changing the spark plug 5 or 6 years ago.

-Dave

Dave,

Don't get me wrong, I would love to buy one of them, but right now money is so damn tight, I don't have money or time to even go shooting hardly. I want to buy one right now but am in the process of trying to buy a house instead. Saving ever dime to be able to afford it. I might have to suck it up and buy one soon, but I guess I really shouldn't have "lost it" with the POS! Oh well too late for that I suppose.

Bam Bam

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Dave,

Don't get me wrong, I would love to buy one of them, but right now money is so damn tight, I don't have money or time to even go shooting hardly. I want to buy one right now but am in the process of trying to buy a house instead. Saving ever dime to be able to afford it. I might have to suck it up and buy one soon, but I guess I really shouldn't have "lost it" with the POS! Oh well too late for that I suppose.

Bam Bam

Bam -

Look at used ones. I'm pretty sure that you can't screw them up *too* bad.

-Dave

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I buy a new $30 electric every other year... they work enough to do the job. I don't have a whole lot of weedeating though. I also have an edger so I don't use the weekeater for that.

Top Bottom