practical hunting range with 12 ga 3 1/2" 00 buck?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rustyduck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    near morgan city
    i have 2 mossberg 12 ga in 3" chamber. i was thinking of buying one with a 3 1/2" chamber. is the 3 1/2" way better than the 3" when using 00 buckshot?

sylvest

Come and Take It
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Oct 17, 2007
    Denham Springs
    No. It is just more pellets. Keep what you have and save the money. Think of how many people killed deer before the 3-1/2" even came out.

peterf225

Rating - 100%
    126   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Prairieville
    Keep the 3". Save your money and your shoulder.

Also if you turkey hunt the 3" is plenty. I know some people who use nothing but 3 1/2" but I have used nothing but 3" when turkey hunting and have taken 5 and never had a problem.

Last edited:

Zip7

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2007
    I'd recommend 50 yards max - never more - just like with the 3"

Ive killed many deer with 3" buckshot.

Praesul Presul

On Target.....Sometimes
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Western KY
    The most kick I have ever felt at a bench shooting was patterning 3 1/2" Turkey loads, with 2nd being a lightweight .300 WM. Kick doesn't bother me but I have to admit to both of those getting my attention.

I have fired some 3 1/2" buck standing offhand and I didn't find it quite as objectionable.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    Maximum range is of any buckshot is where you can keep all pellets in a 30" circle be it at 10 yards or 50 yards. Much past 50 and the round spheres lose their velocity and energy quickly.
    I use Dixieslugs buckshot and it will keep within a 12" circle at 50 yards and even better than that with a tighter choke.
    It has 3 -.60 caliber buckshot balls that weigh 315gr each and are of hardened lead so that don't deform or expand after striking game. They are badass and that's a 2 ounce load of balls going down range.
    They do kick a bit though and come in 3" sizes. I think they may even have a 3.5" load but 3" was plenty. You have to order them off the dixieslugs website.

RMc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    Try:

that tri ball buckshot looks amazing. i can't find a price on the site though.

Click on "order" and go to the regular price sheet.

Tri-Ball is great buckshot ammo, shoots 4" patterns to the point of aim at 40 yards with my 26" 870 with vent rib and extended full choke tube!

Last edited:

Uncle John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Leesville Louisiana
    There are a lot variables in hunting with buckshot. I have killed at least 50 deer out of 135 with buckshot. I have done this with #4, #1, 00 and 000 buck in various guns. Most people dont know where their gun patterns or what the number of pellets get in the kill zone of a deer at a given practical range. They just shoot and hope and many do this for years.

Range estimating in the feild under fast shooting condition can be tricky. The basic rule is if you can clearly see a deer's eye it is in buckshot range that means 00 or 000 buck no more than 60 yards with any 12 or 10 ga. So instead of judging the range you let the deer tell you with his eye. Same thing with turkey hunting.

#4 buck is used for coyotes and it will kill deer up close, #1 in a magnum load is good for head shots if you want to go there.

A good way to test your particular gun for buckshot is shooting at a paper plate. You find the max range that your gun will put 3, 00 buck on a paper plate and that is your max ethical range for that particular gun. To make it easier use Winchester or Nitro Ammunition Company buckshot and call me in the morning.

More on buckshot at www.foremosthunting.com "Buckshot the Hunters Edge."

Top Bottom