"Practicing Concealed Carry With No Fear"

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skyfein

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    New Orleans
    I'm about to take the class for a Louisiana conceal permit, and I've been doing a little reading in advance. Today I came across a great article that I wanted to share: "Practicing Concealed Carry With No Fear," by David Woodbury. Many of you have had these thoughts already, and what he says won't come as news. Other beginners might want to check it out. A quote:

"Even though I’m a Registered Maine Guide, even though I’ve hunted for 40 years, even though I’m an Army veteran, even though I’ve been a security manager, even though I have long owned firearms of several types... Here are a few things that happened to me once I began carrying daily.

1. I forgot that the gun was on me.

2. I dropped it in public.

3. I left it in a desk drawer that others had access to, loaded and ready.

4. I forgot where it was in the house after I had gone to bed.

5. While it was on me, I forgot whether it was locked.

6. The very first day I started carrying, my employer sent me on an overnight trip."
    Etc.! What I like about it is the honesty, the humor and the solid practicality of his suggestions for preparing to conceal. I found it helpful reading. The link:

http://armedamericanreport.org/general/practicing-concealed-carry-with-no-fear/

tea333

Dysfunctional Vet
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    I agree that this person sounds irresponsible and should not be carry a handgun. I've been carrying concealed for many years and have never done any of those things. His actions do sound somewhat humerous but overall unsafe.

King of D Open
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Vieux Carre
    The guy is a poster child for disaster. Start reading meaningful things that will help you.

Remember - you don't know what you don't know!

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    SKYfein, the only real advise that I can tel you is to look for information that will be helpfull to you not things that will mislead you into an accident like this one.

Also make sure that the instructor that you decide to use to take the course with has a solid background and get some feedback from people who have taken a course with him/her, if he just asks for money and signs a certificate mostlikely it will not help you in any kind of way if you ever have to face a jury.

There is a ton of info online, and there are lots of great books to read about the right mind towards conceal carry and the use of deadly force, if you carry hoping never to have the need to use your weapon save yourself some money and play golf instead.

Stay safe and wish you best of luck.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Just wondering- does he mention anything in the article about being a past or present drug user? :rofl:

Let's keep it going. I could also imagine him saying....:

7. Shot myself in the foot- twice on the same day.

8. Went to grab my credit card at Ruth's Chris- accidently handed the waiter my LCP.

Last edited:

stancel

Swamp Stalker
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Carriere, MS
    This is a conspiracy!! A fake article written to make concealed carry permit holders to look like complete idiots. At least I hope that is what it is.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I highly recommend dawg23 for a CHP class... My wife took her class with him and didn't stop talking about it for a couple weeks. She really got alot out of it.

chibajoe

Pratertium terminus est
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 29, 2007
    New Orleans
    I'm about to take the class for a Louisiana conceal permit, and I've been doing a little reading in advance. Today I came across a great article that I wanted to share: "Practicing Concealed Carry With No Fear," by David Woodbury. Many of you have had these thoughts already, and what he says won't come as news. Other beginners might want to check it out. A quote:

"Even though I’m a Registered Maine Guide, even though I’ve hunted for 40 years, even though I’m an Army veteran, even though I’ve been a security manager, even though I have long owned firearms of several types... Here are a few things that happened to me once I began carrying daily.

1. I forgot that the gun was on me.

2. I dropped it in public.

3. I left it in a desk drawer that others had access to, loaded and ready.

4. I forgot where it was in the house after I had gone to bed.

5. While it was on me, I forgot whether it was locked.

6. The very first day I started carrying, my employer sent me on an overnight trip."
    Etc.! What I like about it is the honesty, the humor and the solid practicality of his suggestions for preparing to conceal. I found it helpful reading. The link:

http://armedamericanreport.org/general/practicing-concealed-carry-with-no-fear/

So, would you learn how to drive a car from a guy who has had a bunch of at-fault accidents?

Bama2LA

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    Let's keep it going. I could also imagine him saying....:

7. Shot myself in the foot- twice on the same day.

8. Went to grab my credit card at Ruth's Chris- accidently handed the waiter my LCP.

9. I was checking the gun to see if it was loaded so I looked down the barrel. :rofl:

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I know a guy that has left his j-frame in his desk at work on a few separate occasions.

Must suck to have that bad of a memory. :o

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    I know a guy that has left his j-frame in his desk at work on a few separate occasions.

Must suck to have that bad of a memory. :o

Show carrier vs reality carrier ???

Me, I carry cause I really believe it's necessary, maybe not today, tomorrow.......you get the drift

Bar B Q carriers vs

This is my rifle.

There are many like it, but this one is MINE.

My rifle is my best friend. It is my life.

I must master it as I must master my life.

My rifle without me is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless.

I must fire my rifle true.

Ya don't forget this gun..........

Top Bottom