pre police academy firearms training

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hdsprstr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Welsh
    I have been thinking about and come to the decision of trying to go into law enforcement. I have been researching and saw that before I could go into the police academy I would have to go to a pre-Academy firearms training course. My question is that I read that I would have to qualify with a POST approved service weapon. I know the answer I am probably going to get is Glock, but I don't own a Glock, I do own a Springfield XD40. I would like to know if anyone out there could tell me if the XD would be a POST approved service weapon.

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    I have been thinking about and come to the decision of trying to go into law enforcement. I have been researching and saw that before I could go into the police academy I would have to go to a pre-Academy firearms training course. My question is that I read that I would have to qualify with a POST approved service weapon. I know the answer I am probably going to get is Glock, but I don't own a Glock, I do own a Springfield XD40. I would like to know if anyone out there could tell me if the XD would be a POST approved service weapon.

Whatever your department P&P aka SOP manual says.... Unless that particular agency issues you, a specific weapon..

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    You'll carry whatever your department issues you or whatever they allow you to provide on your own. In my academy the consensus was Glock, followed by Sig. There were one or two S&W boat anchors and one confused gent with an HK.

The pre-academy course is something alot of agencies do on their own to screen their applicants to make sure they are ready for the academy and can pass before they spend the money and make the commitment to send you. It will really tick off your administration to spend several hundred bucks on you for you to flunk out cause you cant qualify.

Last edited:

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    I seem to recall that, by that time, I had replaced my USP Compact .45 with a G19 as my carry piece. It was "suggested" to me that my wearing the HK would "send the wrong signal" to the rank and file deputies... honest to God.

That was my first clue that perhaps I had not made the wisest decision in retiring to take that job...

I have to go back out there next week........................

mnop308

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    bossier
    At the time I went to the Academy, my department only issued Sigs to patrol and detctives. Everyone else was hired as corrections. We could carry what we bought as long as it met the departments requirements. For the Academy, I bought a Glock, extra mags, and a Safariland 6820 (I think) holster, the one with the rotating hood. The holster was great because there was no thumb snap to mess with, just re-holster and roll the hood back. The instructors spent a lot of time watching me with that holster. Easy and fast. I did find that it stuck out too much, and the damn thing was uncomfortable. Replaced it after going out on duty.

Remember, the POST course is target shooting, pure and simple. You will fire many thousands of rounds. Shoot what you shoot best in a caliber the Academy will supply. One guy wanted to shoot his Glock 20, but he would have had to supply his own ammo.

On duty I carried my 1911 until it was mandated that we all carry the PIG, sorry, Sig that is.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    make sure your gun works too... I spent the first day of the Green class fighting my Glock due to a slide stop issue, while I got lots of malf practice, it didn't help my learning process

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Cognac.cal
    Top Bottom