Primitive Weapon Season changes

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpencerSS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Brusly, La
    And for the record, I don't like the vanilla 35 Whelen; usually has headspace issues, stemming from the puny shoulder. 35WhelenAI, 358win, 35rem: better.

hacksaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Breach Load Rolling Block Weapon

Is the rolling block single shot rifle considered a primitive weapon? I have heard all the problems witht the H&R crack barrel and the issues witht he CVA in 35 Whelen and do not like the idea of spending $800 on a T/C. If it requires that much to get a quality rifle I just as soon invest in the Ruger 1A rolling block. The question is that it does not have an exposed hammer so I am not sure it is legal for primitive status. Does anybody have an idea?

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Is the rolling block single shot rifle considered a primitive weapon? I have heard all the problems witht the H&R crack barrel and the issues witht he CVA in 35 Whelen and do not like the idea of spending $800 on a T/C. If it requires that much to get a quality rifle I just as soon invest in the Ruger 1A rolling block. The question is that it does not have an exposed hammer so I am not sure it is legal for primitive status. Does anybody have an idea?

Sorry, the Rugers don't have an exposed hammer.... that unfortunate as I would like to have one for this season.

Problems with the H&R? Lots of people use them and they work fine. I have one in .45-70 and it works great.

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    Is the rolling block single shot rifle considered a primitive weapon? I have heard all the problems witht the H&R crack barrel and the issues witht he CVA in 35 Whelen and do not like the idea of spending $800 on a T/C.

Here's a list of other PW weapons that are legal in LA besides the 3 that you mentioned. http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/news/29901
    On a side note, if you're willing to buy used an Encore can be had for substantially less than $800. Should have no problem finding something in the $500 ballpark. I also wouldn't go with the CVA 35 Whelen either. I was at the range yesterday and saw one get the forend ripped right off the barrel. Guy was sighting it in and sounded like he probably hadn't put 2 boxes of ammo through it and the dovetail was toast.

hacksaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    What issues did you hear about the H&Rs?

The problems that I heard about with the HR was that because of the increased poularity that a rush to manufacture created some quality control issues . I do not know this for a fact but it stands to reason and some of the research that I did on the internet seemed to confirm this. What I also understand is that the 35 Whelen cartrige configuration (neck dimension) was also a problem with misfires. It apears that this caliber is a little less forgiving in that the seating in the breach had to be very good to prevent the misfires. I know several people who use the HR 45/70 without problems.

Top Bottom