"Printed" 1911

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hermit

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2007
    Ascension
    http://www.guns.com/2013/11/07/solid-concepts-unveils-first-3d-printed-metal-gun-full-size-45-acp-1911-video/
    Solid Concepts is taking 3D printing over a threshold with their just-announced 3D printed stainless steel handgun. A 1911, the Solid Concepts pistol is chambered for full-power centerfire .45 ACP cartridges.

The company is out to prove a point, that 3D printing has reached a level of maturity and precision that they can make a traditional firearm with the leading-edge technologies. Naturally, they are working with industrial-scale 3D printers, not the types of devices hobbyists have at home.

“Solid Concepts is a world leader of 3D printing services, and our ability to 3D print the world’s first metal gun solidifies our standing,” explained Alyssa Parkinson in the company announcement. “The gun is a classic 1911, a model that is at once timeless and public domain. It functions beautifully: Our resident gun expert has fired 50 successful rounds and hit a few bull’s eyes at over 30 yards. The gun is composed of 30-plus 3D printed components with 17-4 stainless steel and Inconel 625 materials. We completed it with a selective laser sintered (SLS) 3D-printed hand grip, because we’re kind of crazy about 3D printing.”

MTx11B

Combat Vet
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    NOLA
    Seems legit but as always they do not have a price yet. I would not mind putting one to the test just to see how it holds up

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Seems legit but as always they do not have a price yet. I would not mind putting one to the test just to see how it holds up

They don't have a price because you're not going to buy one.

It was a firearm made after many hours on a half-million-dollar machine. Back when I was setting up a job shop for installation and usage of a new tubing laser, which cost about $900k when all was said and done, the ROI was going to be a while, and machine time was estimated to have to hover around $150/hour, I believe. I think flat lasers were estimated to be around $100/hr.

That machine time isn't including the extensive finishing they have to do on those parts. DLMS processes create parts with a rather granular surface finish. It looks almost like a cast part. It's not as bad as your typical cast iron pan/pot, but that should adequately put it into perspective. Not great for friction surfaces, and aesthetics, yea? So a lot of polishing, filing, and/or surface grinding would have had to be done.

Then comes the materials. They used 17-4 SS which isn't the most expensive stainless out there - I've used it for suppressor baffles because it's nice for that. It's affordable. Not nearly as affordable as carbon steel, but it's not priced near what nickel superalloys are. Going with inconel, though, that **** is pretty heavy and it's expensive. Very expensive. So depending on which parts were inconel and which were 17-4SS, it might be a heavy bastard, too. Pricey, to say the least, however.

This was not a product, this was them showing they have a big dick in manufacturing. This was marketing.

Last edited:

MTx11B

Combat Vet
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    NOLA
    If that's how the measuring contest works these days I lost by a mile hahaha but I just wanted one to abuse like a stepchild

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    I always dreamed of one day having a CNC lathe and mill, maybe I should adjust my dreams to just have a metal printer.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    If that's how the measuring contest works these days I lost by a mile hahaha but I just wanted one to abuse like a stepchild

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Yea, I liken this to the guys who made that 100,000 dollar (or w/e the price was) AR10 out of all Titanium (except the barrel and trigger parts I think) - it was showing off and attracting people, as well as the advertising of every blog and niche site spreading their name/video.

Top Bottom