Private Handgun Sales Question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    It’s not that hard to document and has advantages. Forms are all over the www.

Bill of sale protects the buyer in the event somehow your gun makes it into LEO hands and is determined to have been used in a crime at some point prior to purchase date.

Protects the seller if the weapon is found at the scene of a crime and LEO runs the serial number to find original owner….if seller bought new….or prior sellers kept BoS.

It's even easier than finding a form in the www.

Date:
    Make and Model:
    Serial Number:

Seller Name:
    Seller DL#:
    Seller Signature:

Buyer Name:
    Buyer DL#:
    Buyer Signature:

Copy, paste, print. You don't need my address or any other information about me. And there's little you can do with my dl#. The only thing you need to do is see that the dl#, the name, and the picture are all good. If there's some issue later on and you have to explain when and with whom the transfer was conducted, you have enough information where the police can begin to search.

Fordfella

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    You should meet them in front of the BATFE office at the Galleria and ask for LADL, CDL, VA card, library card, Restricted Radiotelephone Operations Permit(had one as a teen), Pilots License, SAG card, B97 FM SuperCard, NRA card, Red Cross First Aid card, KISS ARMY ID, BLOCKBUSTER card, OCP ID, CCP, and a note from your Mother.
    You have a SAG card? When I was in CA, I've seen people who would sell their Siamese twin down the river for a SAG card!!! An ATF agent told me someone marked that they were not an illegal drug user, then tried to use their Medical Marijuana card as an ID.

chibajoe

Pratertium terminus est
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 29, 2007
    New Orleans
    I always do a BOS and will require proof of residency (i.e. LA DL or ID) if I'm selling. That basically just covers my legal obligations for vetting the buyer.

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Not gonna look up the actual laws, but I personally consider that my obligations are to ensure:
    1. Buyer is a resident of my state.
    2. Buyer as far as I can tell is not prohibited from purchasing a firearm. Yes, this is hard to tell, thus the required bill of sale. It's above and beyond, and if someone doesn't want to do it, they are free to pass on my sales.

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    Proof of residency - LADL will do. As long as they reside in La, you are good.
    So that is the law? I have to require that another La resident prove he is resident before I sell to them? Do I have to get them to prove they are not convicted felons as well?

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    You asked what has to be done to vet them but you never said what they needed to be vetted for. How can someone say what needs to be done to meet a set of conditions if you won't list the conditions?
    Capture.JPG

Maybe that will help clarify the fog you seem to have on my simple question about the declarative statement Joe made.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    View attachment 152227

Maybe that will help clarify the fog you seem to have on my simple question about the declarative statement Joe made.

It doesn't.

"What are the legal obligations to vet a buyer?"

"Vet them for what?"

"Residency, prohibited person, etc."

See? There's a part of the question you've omitted, making it not so simple.

"What are your legal obligations to vet a buyer"

"Vet them for what?"

<your turn>

yamaha0343

Glock > XD
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lafayette
    I really only buy and sell on here, and everyone I've met has been 100% top notch. I don't personally bother with a bill of sale. I would 100% bounce from a transaction if something came off as shady, but that just hasn't happened with the guys from this site. I've had some high quality bs'ing with you guys actually.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I really only buy and sell on here, and everyone I've met has been 100% top notch. I don't personally bother with a bill of sale. I would 100% bounce from a transaction if something came off as shady, but that just hasn't happened with the guys from this site. I've had some high quality bs'ing with you guys actually.

This should go without saying but I'll say it anyway. Don't rely on membership to this site alone to establish credibility. Unless we have a reason, we usually don't vet members here. In fact, there was a relatively recent transaction between 2 members on here that didn't go as planned.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    It’s not that hard to document and has advantages. Forms are all over the www.
    You don't even need a form. I write it out on half a piece of loose leaf paper and we both sign it. Heck, you could do it on a piece of scrap card board from a box and a crayon. I take a pic with my phone and give original to purchaser. Done deal, really simple.

" I _______________ sell to _________________ an AR-15 s/n_________________ for $500.

Print names in blanks above, date it and sign it below. I have put 4 pistols on one simple BOS, one transaction with a fellow member here. Everybody's phone takes pics today, even flip phones. No need to over complicate this.

Top Bottom