Private Handgun Sales

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nolastorm

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2020
    New Orleans
    For me, I only post on bayou for trades and/or selling. I usually only deal with someone that has a history on bayou with both buying and selling/trading.

My very first experience on bayou was not a good one. I spoke over the phone with this guy and we agreed to a trade. We planned to meet a week later. After getting off the phone with this guy something didn’t feel right. Dude left a bad taste, you know. Well After thinking on it, i contact him 3-4 days before the planned trade and cancel the trade.

Man! This guy just blew up my phone. He called and texted me asking me to call him. When I spoke with the guy, you can tell this guy was clearly not stable. Guy ended up demanding we make the trade. Aahh that’s a big time no dude. last thing he did was leave me my only negative review on bayou. I think this dude was kicked off bayou shortly after.

In the end, I’m so glad I canceled even though I got a negative review that stills shows. Great lesson learned for me. Moral of the story, always trust your gut. Lol

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    Best advice is to deal with members who have a good track record. 1) Good Feedback 2) Join Date

Even if it's the 1st time dealing with them, you can look at their feedback and see if they had positive transactions with people you personally trust.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I think the better question is transparency of this site. There should be a published document noting how long data is saved, including direct messages and IP logs.

I personally would like to know how long the data is retained and what data it is, or purged in what time period from the servers.

This might, or might not, put peoples minds at ease.
    I doubt most people would care about this. But in general, almost everything is retained without expiration. Folks can reply to posts from 15 years ago. Users can search for old PM conversations.

If a PM is deleted by both users, it's my understanding that it is deleted from the database.

If a post is "hard deleted," which can only be done by admins, it is gone from the database.

And what really sucks to me is that it's all for the negative. Nothing will be looked up to show virtue of members, only negative aspects.

The best thing that any online gun community can do, right now and for the entire firearm community nationwide, is to hard-delete to the best of their ability all of the history within off-topic and political forums/threads.

Just my opinions.
    Deleting it won't help. This site is cached constantly by a plethora of online services that retain all posts.

For example, go look at the Wayback machine.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    I doubt most people would care about this. But in general, almost everything is retained without expiration. Folks can reply to posts from 15 years ago. Users can search for old PM conversations.

If a PM is deleted by both users, it's my understanding that it is deleted from the database.

If a post is "hard deleted," which can only be done by admins, it is gone from the database.

Deleting it won't help. This site is cached constantly by a plethora of online services that retain all posts.

For example, go look at the Wayback machine.
    It makes them click more, and sometimes that's all you get. It's much harder to phish on the wayback than it is on a forum with searchable names and topics. Here they can target specific individuals and topics and go through posts to find things to target or investigate people for, especially if they are backdating laws and rules they make up.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    What about the BOW ? If ever something needed to disappear forever ...

Still there.

It makes them click more, and sometimes that's all you get. It's much harder to phish on the wayback than it is on a forum with searchable names and topics. Here they can target specific individuals and topics and go through posts to find things to target or investigate people for, especially if they are backdating laws and rules they make up.
    If "they" are federal agents with the resources of the federal law enforcement agencies, it doesn't really matter....

I've personally talked to both the FBI and the ATF on numerous occasions due to people doing stupid **** on this forum. In all instances, they already knew the name, DOB, address, phone number, and email address of the parties in question. And these weren't folks who broadcasted who they were on there. That being said, it's really not too difficult to figure out who most folks are with a little digging.

Anyway, as I've said before - I do this for free - so I'd really like to not have to spend my time talking to the FBI/ATF. It'd be a lot easier if people just played by the rules and also weren't dicks.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    I've only dealt with them after identity theft. You're right about a little digging. It's pretty amazing and scary in ways. It takes a lot of time and effort to remove one's presence on the internet once it's there. Not so much that "they" are the feds, as much as I dislike their jobs and also understand their desire to preserve them, it's more just anyone who is looking to Dox, cause harm to, or otherwise trouble people regardless of their jobs. I definitely have more of a presence online than I want even though this is my only "social media."

The problem with your theory of "follow the rules" is that they keep changing them, trying to get them to stick. What if they decide to say that the highest allowed firearm capacity is the average of all modern retail firearms sold in the same year as the Safer Communities Act was passed? No Grandfathering...if it's too much, turn it in or Biden might take you behind the woodshed....

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    ... The problem with your theory of "follow the rules" is that they keep changing them, trying to get them to stick. What if they decide to say that the highest allowed firearm capacity is the average of all modern retail firearms sold in the same year as the Safer Communities Act was passed? No Grandfathering...
    That. The more they try to take, the more I want to dig in and scream "Not another inch".

Dallaspilot

Dallaspilot
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    Mandeville, LA
    Everyone goes through a different process, but my go-to recommendations are:

1) If selling on BayouShooter, make sure they PM you. This way we retain their email/IP address. Not a dealbreaker, but it's one extra layer of protection.

2) Talk to the person on the phone and don't just text of message them. Ask kind, probing questions. Where are you from originally? Are you a collector? What interested you in this gun? Etc. If things seem sketchy, stop.

3) Where to meet? Most police stations have lit spaces with cameras that you can have a transaction at. If someone isn't willing to meet at a police station, cancel the deal. That being said, all of my transactions on here have been with long-term BS members, with lots of feedback, so I've been willing to just meet in public places that are convenient.

4) Bill of Sale: People are polarized on this topic. If you want one, use one. If not, don't. I usually have both of us sign one and I'll write out name/DOB on the BOS.

5) If at any time something seems sketchy or too good to be true, cancel the transaction.

Finally, if you are really wanting to cover your bases, you can always offer to meet at a FFL and offer to pay for a FFL transfer fee.
    Your advice makes sense, but is it legal to walk into a police station with a firearm? CHL does not allow this, and I can see how the people behind the desk might be unhappy about such an act.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Your advice makes sense, but is it legal to walk into a police station with a firearm? CHL does not allow this, and I can see how the people behind the desk might be unhappy about such an act.
    Most police stations have parking designated for online sales, with cameras overlooking those parking spots. (So I'm told)
    I don't think Austin was suggesting you do the deal inside, but rather in the parking lot of the Police Station.

As a side note: Walmarts are said to have some of the best security cameras around.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Most police stations have parking designated for online sales, with cameras overlooking those parking spots. (So I'm told)
    I don't think Austin was suggesting you do the deal inside, but rather in the parking lot of the Police Station.
    I've seen the safe spaces outside near the front door with security cameras . They were originally intended for child custody swaps etc. but any legal transaction is cool .

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I've seen the safe spaces outside near the front door with security cameras . They were originally intended for child custody swaps etc. but any legal transaction is cool .
    Here's the ascension parish sheriff station on airline. There's a camera on the pole to the left of the green spaces. There's signs that mention something about a safe transaction area.

Screenshot 2024-05-08 at 4.49.19 PM.png

BRPD has one but it's tougher to see on google maps. There's a sign on the pole right in the middle of the picture.

Screenshot 2024-05-08 at 4.58.06 PM.png

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Here's the ascension parish sheriff station on airline. There's a camera on the pole to the left of the green spaces. There's signs that mention something about a safe transaction area.

View attachment 163778

BRPD has one but it's tougher to see on google maps. There's a sign on the pole right in the middle of the picture.

View attachment 163779
    And with all of these you can absolutely call and ask if a cop will come and stand outside with you.

70mikenike70

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2022
    Lake Charles
    So can we post ads for nerf guns on here? Is that gonna be tracked too? Asking for a friend…. :dogkeke: :doh:
    I like the comment about if you do nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about…. I’m pretty sure most people on this site tries their hardest to obey all laws. It just sucks that they will soon try to backlog transactions. My argument on the selling your own property for a profit or even a loss makes you a dealer blows my mind. What is the difference between that and anything else you own and try to sell? That’s going to give them leverage to start making everyone a criminal. They are doing this because private sales don’t collect taxes! What a crock of crap…. I remember history class in school and we learned about the very beginning when they bought and sold with sea shells. They couldn’t tax that lol… Maybe we need to return to the barter system and then there would be no more taxes… They would lose their minds lol…. Very interested to see what November brings!

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I always meet up at a bank parking lot during the day and my Wife brings her Mossberg 500SP to provide cover for the deal. She goes into overwatch mode insuring our safety and doesn't get back into the car until we(buyer and seller) are both ready to drive off.

Top Bottom