Private Residence Carry Consent

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    The law prohibits concealed carry in a private residence without the consent of the owner. How do you handle obtaining that consent?

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Wow, only 2 responses in 6 hours? This is a legitimate question, gang. this weekend, I am gong to a barbeque in Norco in honor of my son's engagement. I do not know the people giving the BBQ, and I don't want to cause my son any grief. He is not a gun guy, and I don't know how the fiance's family is.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Wow, only 2 responses in 6 hours? This is a legitimate question, gang. this weekend, I am gong to a barbeque in Norco in honor of my son's engagement. I do not know the people giving the BBQ, and I don't want to cause my son any grief. He is not a gun guy, and I don't know how the fiance's family is.

Legally, you have to have the guys permission to enter his home while CCing. Hell, it's his home, you should ask his permission anyways. I don't want someone bringing something to my house without my permission. If he won't give it to you or you won't ask, just leave it in the car.

When I show up, I'll ask "I have my firearm on me. State law requires I have your permission to enter your home. If it's a problem, I'll leave it in the car."

Last edited:

Frnchyse

Will work for ammo!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Metairie
    Just pull out your permit and ask is this ok. Maybe he will just think your asking about the picture and he will say yes lol

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Legally, you have to have the guys permission to enter his home while CCing. Hell, it's his home, you should ask his permission anyways. I don't want someone bringing something to my house without my permission. If he won't give it to you or you won't ask, just leave it in the car.

When I show up, I'll ask "I have my firearm on me. State law requires I have your permission to enter your home. If it's a problem, I'll leave it in the car."

You ask that every time you go into anyone's home?

jgreco15

The Zebra
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    if i am going into someone's home whom i don't know personally, i either ask or just leave it in the car. all of my buddies know that i carry so its not an issue there. if you are looking for a line to use:

"Hey, i usually carry a firearm. Does that make you uncomfortable if I have it with me now. I don't mind going back to the car to leave ---"

I'm usually cut off somewhere around that and they say, "Not a problem, come on it."

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    That's better. Thanks, guys; those are good suggestions.

spanky, your question is a good one. I had my Dad's permission to bring it into his house after Gustav and I took that to mean it was a forever permission. Then recently, as I was giving him a hug to say goodbye, he brushed up against my gun; and I could tell he wasn't too pleased, but he didn't say anything.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    How do I handle it? I don't ask and the owner doesn't know. If I have to use my gun, it would probably be one of those situations where the owner would be appreciative afterwards.......

If the owner finds out I have a gun and asks me to leave, then i'll politely oblige.

homeslice

Be honest.
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    St. Charles Parish
    I'll be honest, I forget to ask... We should come up with some business card that you can pass to the homeowner so that it's very discreet and they can just nod yes/no.

ram03reg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    I'll be honest, I forget to ask... We should come up with some business card that you can pass to the homeowner so that it's very discreet and they can just nod yes/no.

umm i dont know about a business card..if someone handed me something like that I would be like wtf?? IMO If you are going to tell someone just bring them to the side and ask. I wouldnt go over board and plus if you want some sort of card just use your CHP.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie

That, and this whole thread in general, is why I proudly wear a CCW badge around my neck AND on my hip AND in my wallet.

I am gong to a barbeque in Norco in honor of my son's engagement. I do not know the people giving the BBQ, and I don't want to cause my son any grief. He is not a gun guy, and I don't know how the fiance's family is.

Personally, I would ask my son about it and fully respect his wishes.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I ask in Arabic. No one ever says no.

If a stranger tried to walk in my house jabbering at me in Arabic and pointing to his gun I'd probably assume he was a terrorist and start shooting!!! :)

Try French, then I'd assume you were surrendering...

Last edited:

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I have never though to ask for permission when entering a private residence. Most people who's home I enter know I carry, and those I that don't won't find out unless the need arises to discharge my weapon.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom