Private Residences: Prior Permission

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexasCajun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    Good morning y'all. I have a question. Whether or not it's quick will depend, I guess.

I have a valid concealed handgun license from Texas, where I currently live. The Mrs and I will be visiting Louisiana this weekend, and we're expected to go to dinner at the home of someone that owns a company that my wife's company does business with. My understanding of LA concealed handgun law is that I am required to obtain prior permission to carry my concealed handgun into someone's residence. What is the practical way for me to handle this when I don't actually know the homeowner and I don't know what their stance on handguns/concealed carry/2a/etc is?

On a related side note, how do y'all handle this stipulation on a day-to-day basis? And what is the penalty for failing to obtain prior permission?

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    Good morning y'all. I have a question. Whether or not it's quick will depend, I guess.

I have a valid concealed handgun license from Texas, where I currently live. The Mrs and I will be visiting Louisiana this weekend, and we're expected to go to dinner at the home of someone that owns a company that my wife's company does business with. My understanding of LA concealed handgun law is that I am required to obtain prior permission to carry my concealed handgun into someone's residence. What is the practical way for me to handle this when I don't actually know the homeowner and I don't know what their stance on handguns/concealed carry/2a/etc is?

On a related side note, how do y'all handle this stipulation on a day-to-day basis? And what is the penalty for failing to obtain prior permission?

Depending on the situation (where they live and who else will be around) I would consider leaving it in the vehicle to avoid the hassle. I would feel uncomfortable making a request such as that with business involved and not knowing the people personally. The way I feel about it is this; if you were to ask and they are against 2A rights and carrying into their home, then they will probably deny you permission and now you just had an awkward moment for no reason. On the other hand, if they are very pro 2A then they would probably say "sure thing!" but you probably won't be in any danger being that they will have firearms for protection in their own home. Kind of a situation that I would feel is best avoided by leaving the firearm in the car, but thats just my opinion.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Two choices- either risk making things very awkward, or... "concealed is concealed" and all that. I personally would not break the law over something like that though. It's probably just going to be a couple hours, at most.

TexasCajun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    Thanks for the replies. I certainly don't want to break the law or disrespect the property owner. And I especially don't want to put my wife out her company in an awkward spot. I'll just leave it in the car for the event.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Cripsol

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2014
    Dallas
    If I thought I had to carry a gun to go to someone's house for supper, I wouldn't go.
    But what about where you go to before the dinner? And wasnt there just a post about someone getting their gun stolen out of a vehicle? All things to think about. I have a lock box in my vehicle to help dissuade potential thieves. Maybe get one and use it for the event. Heck , you could probably return it and get a refund after.

TexasCajun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    If I thought I had to carry a gun to go to someone's house for supper, I wouldn't go.

Bad things happen to good people all the time - even in the good part of town. If I have any indication that something bad is going to happen, I wouldn't go. But I don't get to pick that time or place. So I'm in the habit of carrying everywhere I'm legally allowed to. It's just that in Texas, we don't have an obligation to ask permission before going some place armed.

TexasCajun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    But what about where you go to before the dinner? And wasnt there just a post about someone getting their gun stolen out of a vehicle? All things to think about. I have a lock box in my vehicle to help dissuade potential thieves. Maybe get one and use it for the event. Heck , you could probably return it and get a refund after.

I already have a cabled lock box in my car for these types of situations.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    I have a lock box in my car for those occasions. I go to a lot of events at LSU so I have to leave it in the car. I replaced the little cable it came with with a 1/4" stainless steel cable. They will have to come well prepared if they plan on cutting it.

Last edited:

TexasCajun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    Update. I decided to leave my pistol in the car. But it probably would have been a non-issue anyway. There were a couple hundred people at Friday's dinner, and I never actually got to meet the owner. And we never actually went inside the house. They had tents set up in the back yard, and that's pretty much where we spent the evening. Even after seeing that we probably wouldn't be going inside the house and I'm very practiced at my concealment, I thought it better to leave my gun in the car so as to not chance creating an awkward situation for my wife.

Thanks to everyone who provided useful advice.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

TexasCajun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    We are not required to get prior permission. If someone doesn't want guns in their house, they have to tell you verbally, in writing, or by posting a sign per Texas penal code 30.06. It's the same requirements that businesses must follow.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Cherry-Bandit
    Top Bottom