Problematic buyer. Need a B.R. area gun smith.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stancel

Swamp Stalker
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Carriere, MS
    I sold my Kahr PM40 to a guy off LA Sportsman who is from Baton Rouge yesterday, and even though I broke the gun down for him right there, showed him how to re-assemble, and let him look it over, he is now saying it is worn out, unsafe to fire, and seriously abused. It isn't perfect cosmetically, which is why I sold it to him so cheap ($425.00)!! But I have shot the gun many times, and it is 100% reliable, and I was perfectly comfortable carrying the gun.

Anyway, I had 4 text from him on my phone when I got up this morning and I am pretty much ready to put this thing to bed. I told him I would try and find a reputable place to have the gun looked at, and if it was deemed unsafe, I would give him back his money. Now who knows what this guy has done to it while pulling it apart and dicking around with it, but I won't let him keep a gun that is unsafe to operate.

He mentioned bringing it to Jim's, but I am not so sure I am comfortable with that. Does anybody know a gun shop or gun smith who can give a accurate assessment of the condition of this gun?

Thanks

Last edited:

Backdraft440

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2011
    Ive dealt with the gunsmith at jims before, he was a younger guy, cant remember his name, maybe Paul or Scott. He was a real good guy, he would probably look it over for free, I wouldnt hesitate to deal with him.

stancel

Swamp Stalker
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Carriere, MS
    Ive dealt with the gunsmith at jims before, he was a younger guy, cant remember his name, maybe Paul or Scott. He was a real good guy, he would probably look it over for free, I wouldnt hesitate to deal with him.

Thanks man. I just don't want a salesman looking at it. I wasn't even sure if Jim's had a gunsmith on staff all the time.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Bring it to Lloyd Landry in Gonzales,

IIRC he owns and carries a Kahr as well so he is familiar with them ..........

+ 1 Lloyd is the man when it comes to gunsmithing. Have the buyer bring it to someone you know is reputable. After all you have the cash and only God knows what has been done to the gun. If you did a face to face and broke it down shame on him. It's not like he didn't inspect the pistol.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    I've only posted one thing on Sportsman and I had the biggest bunch of pain in the asses contact me. One had me drive out 30 minutes to call me and tell me his wife won't let him buy it.

stancel

Swamp Stalker
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Carriere, MS
    Roger that guys. I am going to tell the buyer either this guy checks the gun and gives it the thumbs up or down, or he can resell it.

This is the second buyer I have dealt with off LA Sportsman who thinks he should get a brand new gun for used gun price, and thinks I am available for phone calls and questions for the life of the gun. Think I will stick to BS for now on. Never had a problem with ANYBODY on this site.

stancel

Swamp Stalker
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Carriere, MS
    Roger that Guate!!

I just called Kahr about what he is having issues with (the poly rail having markings on it and being "worn" out). The tech at kahr said that the poly rails along the top of Kahr's serve NO purpose what so ever except to help guide the slide on and off of the frame. They provide zero structural support when firing the gun. He said the metal rails on the inside of the frame in front of the trigger, and the ones on top in the rear are the only rails that actually provide support when the gun is fired.

I advised the new owner to smooth them out with some fine sandpaper like the guy at Kahr said if the way it looks bothers him (just don't mess with the metal rails), and I am closing the book on this deal.

I appreciate all the responses.

Last edited:

S&W4ME

I'm kind of a big deal
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Walker, LA
    Roger that guys. I am going to tell the buyer either this guy checks the gun and gives it the thumbs up or down, or he can resell it.

This is the second buyer I have dealt with off LA Sportsman who thinks he should get a brand new gun for used gun price, and thinks I am available for phone calls and questions for the life of the gun. Think I will stick to BS for now on. Never had a problem with ANYBODY on this site.

I second that! Never had anything but problems from LA Sportsman

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    You'll never make this guy happy. You'll only make your life miserable trying. Tell him it was fine when you had it and that you have pictures of the internals to prove it as well as a video of it firing. (If he's going to lie to you about the handgun lie right back. Call it a bluff and say you learned it playing poker.) Tell him that if it doesn't work now he did something to it and tell him send it back to Kahr. That's what I'd do anyway.

Dave

Top Bottom