Process for buying a FA weapon?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • St.Francisville

Hardheaded Young'n
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    Wilson, LA
    Hello there everybody, I am moving back to LA sometime next year between April and June.
    I will have turned 21 in that timeframe, and I will have graduated from police training (hopefully).
    And as I will be 21 by that time, I've been looking around the net for info on obtaining a legal, transferable FA firearm (Most likely a MAC of some sort with a Lage upper, since that seems to be the cheapest route to go) and decided that BS is the way to go to find this info.Anyways... I just want to know the whole process for obtaining said weapon, along with having a couple of questions answered.

Question 1: CLEO signature. Does this include only the Sheriff of my Parish of residence? Or will a signature from the Chief of Police work if I live inside town limits?

Question 2: I think I read somewhere that you are required to keep the weapon in a safe location. (gunsafe, locked/scure room, etc.) Is this true? If it is, would something like a Browning or Cannon safe work?

Thanks for your help.

St.Francisville

Hardheaded Young'n
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    Wilson, LA
    Thank you Shikkapow, that was enlightening.
    I'm really more looking for the exact process for buying in Louisiana.
    Something not as technical as that link that you posted.
    Like a list of steps.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Step 1: Find cash.
    Step 2: Find gun.
    Step 3: Give cash to guy with gun.
    -If guy with gun is in Louisiana skip to step 5.
    Step 4: Transfer gun to a local Class 3 dealer. There are several on this board.
    Step 5: Transfer gun to yourself.
    Step 6: Go shooting.

Except to spend 3 - 9 months waiting for approvals.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    There is no legal requirement to keep the gun in a locked room or safe. However, you are legally required to make sure no one can easily take possession of the gun. For example, if you live alone and no one else has keys to your house then you can leave it laying on your bed while you go to the store. However, if you have a wife or a roommate then you have to keep locked somewhere she can't get to it while you are out of the house.

Similarly, you can keep it locked in your truck if you are the only one with keys to your truck. Not the smartest place to store it, but just an example.

Make sense?

St.Francisville

Hardheaded Young'n
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    Wilson, LA
    Thank you, aroundlsu. That is much easier to make sense of than a bunch of legal jargon.
    I read in Shikkapow's link that there is some sort of permit required to purchase a MG in LA, but I can't find anything to back that up.

Last edited:

madmax4x4

HONKY
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    New Orleans
    Thank you, aroundlsu. That is much easier to make sense of than a bunch of legal jargon.
    I read in Shikkapow's link that there is some sort of permit required to purchase a MG in LA, but I can't find anything to back that up.
    no permit but it has to be registered with the state before you send your form off to th ATF NFA branch. Also it is a long list of who can do the CLEO signature. Or you can do a living trust or Corp/ LLC. You can do a search here for that part.

St.Francisville

Hardheaded Young'n
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    Wilson, LA
    no permit but it has to be registered with the state before you send your form off to th ATF NFA branch. Also it is a long list of who can do the CLEO signature. Or you can do a living trust or Corp/ LLC. You can do a search here for that part.

I was going to get the Chief of the St. Francisville PD as my CLEO signature because he knows me very well, and he knows I'm not any sort of troublemaker even though I did have the desk Sgt.'s phone ringing off the hook with MWAG calls because I open carry. AS to the state registrarion. What does that entail?

madmax4x4

HONKY
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    New Orleans
    I was going to get the Chief of the St. Francisville PD as my CLEO signature because he knows me very well, and he knows I'm not any sort of troublemaker even though I did have the desk Sgt.'s phone ringing off the hook with MWAG calls because I oen carry. AS to the state registrarion. What does that entail?

another form and time. Adds about a month but you could send in your ATF form and when you get the state form send that in, they cash the check first and it could be a month or more befor. It hits the desk for review.

http://www.lsp.org/pdf/chFirearmReg.pdf

If it is person to person in state then you need the form below
    http://www.lsp.org/pdf/chFirearmTransfer.pdf
    first then the other form listed above.

Last edited:

LandrysGuns

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2008
    Addis, LA
    The process is not as bad as it sounds. Here's a copy of what I have on Landry's Guns Facebook page:
    +++++++++++++++

Ok, so you have decided to take the plunge into the class 3 world. I warn you now it is addicting. Most of my customers own 3 or 4 and usually they range from silencers, machine guns, short barreled rifles and shotguns and AOWs.

First, you decide on a weapon. Let's say you get a silencer for your Walther P22 handgun. You have 2 choice on where to get it. One is to locate it out of state. It would then have to be transferred into the state to a dealer such as myself. The other alternative is to buy it from an in-state dealer or have him order it for you.

Once he receives it in his shop comes the fun part. i.e. How do we transfer it to you?

To start with, we send out a packet with instructions and 2 set of each form mentioned below. We also send over a self addressed stamped envelope to make sure all this gets back to us.

That is where the Form 4 comes in. It is a "Tax Paid Transfer" form required by ATF. On it we fill out your information, our information and the weapon's information - simple and straightforward. This is your registration form. It can be registered to a corporation, a trust or an individual. If you register it to yourself, an individual, you will need to have the local law enforcement sign off on the back of the form. He signs it stating there is no law in your area that prohibits you from owning the weapon. Now I said "local" law enforcement. You can't bring it to your friend 2 towns away that happens to be the Chief of Police. It has to be someone that has jurisdiction over where you live. It can even be certain judges. Parish sheriffs are ok as well, just the one that is over your parish. Oh, get him to fingerprint you while you are there, 2 set please.

So you can't find someone that will sign. Yes, it happens. Trusts are real cheap to file and forming an LLC called "My Machineguns Inc" is perfectly legal and acceptable by ATF. If you do that, the back portion of the form is not used, and no law signature is needed and no fingerprint cards are needed either.

Next you fill out a certificate of compliance. I have NO IDEA what this is for. You fill out your name in 2 blanks to certify you are a citizen and sign it. Hey, it's paperwork, they require it, and that's that.

If you do an individual transfer (non trust, non corp, etc) you must submit fingerprint cards. (see why I told you to get 2 sets earlier?) The local PD can do this and as with everything you get 2 copies of them.

Now your Form 4 is signed by local law enforcement (if needed), and you sign the Compliance form and get the fingerprint cards and write out a $200 check to BATFE and glue a passport photo on the back of each form and then mail it all back to me. I check it all out and mail to ATF. Now we wait. 8 to 10 weeks is usually the time frame. There are some other forms I fill out for registration with State Police and such, but I take care of all that. Just a heads up so when you get a copy of a state police form in the mail you don't freak out.

Once it is approved, ATF sends back to me one of the originals form 4s we filled out and you can come get your toy.

Oh, there is one exception. If you buy what is called an AOW (Any Other Weapon), something like a pistol grip shotgun with an 8" barrel (yes they are available) you only pay $5 instead of $200.

When all else fails, just call.

Dale Landry
    Landry's Guns
    225-202-7843

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    Oh, there is one exception. If you buy what is called an AOW (Any Other Weapon), something like a pistol grip shotgun with an 8" barrel (yes they are available) you only pay $5 instead of $200.
    Dang one more thing on the to buy list... I need to stop reading so much

Top Bottom