processing .223 brass

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunner_lee

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Pollock, La
    I can't feel my fingers.....
    I've been processing once fired LC brass for 2 weeks now. Got them all cleaned, sized/deprimed, almost got them all trimmed (probably 200-300 left to do). Thank God for the Lyman trimmer and my rechargable drill and the RCBS trim station..... I bought the cases as having the crimp swaged. I'm gonna be pissed if they won't prime without "re-swaging" them. Once I finish trimming, deburring and primer pocket cleaning I'll start priming. Since my wife got her pink AR I figured I better load her up some so she won't be filching mine to shoot. If I SWAG it correctly (I'll know after I finish priming) I should have close to 2000 rounds. The arthritis is really kicking in after the trimming and deburring. But it will all be worth it when I present her a pink ammo can full of her own ammo on bandoleers:D:D:D

gunner_lee

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Pollock, La
    The old Tim Allen "Men are Pigs" comment about "rather have my balls pounded flat with a wooden mallet" comes to mind, too so there are worse things than trimming brass. As luck would have it this brass was fired through M-4s, M-4geries and not SAWs. They are coming out very nice. Got the last of it processed and tumbled and ready to prime the last 400 or so. I got the CMMG conversion for her carbine also. Had to do some polishing and lapping to get it to function. Seems to be a break-in period for them and we didn't have time for the break-in period before she had to shoot it in an appleseed event. So now I start loading them up but can do it on a turret press and get a loaded round with 3 pulls of the handle. It will go quicker now. My claw hands can now grasp the handle ball of the turret press and if I can get a case and bullet into the loading station and shell holder I should be fine.

gunner_lee

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Pollock, La
    I got the blued one as the stainless was out of stock from every wholesaler I have accounts with. It runs fine now that I polished the feedramp to mirror and removed the parkerizing off the rails/grooves.
    I ended up with 1650 primed cases. Now to load:
    55 grain Z-max (she likes the yellow tips) w/ 25.5gr W748
    55 gr FMJBT same powder charge
    62 grain green tips with 25gr W748. These work through my SP-1 and carbines.
    Gotta start painting her ammo can though. :)

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    It took me only several hours(spaced over a couple days) to trim 2800 prices of .223 with my little crow wft.
    My 800 .30-06 took just 3 hours, and they are champhfered and everything. They load up my cast loads great once flared.

gunner_lee

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Pollock, La
    Are you using "the Load" or something else for your cast boolits? I use 13 grains of Unique under 7.7 jap/.303 brit and .30-06 cast bullets and set my rear sight on 500yds. Hit POA at 100 with no recoil. Fun plinking load and cheap.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    I'm offshore right now so I don't have my book, but I'm using win748, and a 152gr rn/pb boolit , its moving right at 2200fps.
    With my savage 111 I'm right at moa at 300yds. I havent even shot it it closer since I got it zeroed in at 300.

Top Bottom