Progressive reloaders

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ivan

Oct 15, 2012
    Church Point, la
    I am thinking of upgrading my current RCBS rock chucker to either a DILLON or the RCBS PRO 2000. I've been weighing my options and am completely undicisive. I know y'all handle the Dillon line but am trying to figure out wich one is better. Can y'all tell me how much it would cost to switch between caliber for the 9x19, .45 acp and .223/5.56? I've been looking at the RL550B and the XL650. Can the rl550 be converted to a auto index? Any info on these would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

audioshooter

On Target. Send It.
    Feb 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I find the dillon to be a better machine, especially when you take into account the fact that dillon has the lifetime warranty. As for which one, i recommend the 550. You can not make it auto index, but it really isnt neccesary. The 650 is a great machine and what i currently run, but you have to buy the case feeder which is an extra 200 bucks. Also converting the 650 costs 106 and dies where as the 550 is 69 plus dies. The 650 is much more complex to change over as well.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    I have both the 550 & 650 and load 7 different calibers. 9x19, 40S&W, and 38super are all loaded on the 650 because the change over is so simple (change tool head and locator pins).
    45acp, 357/38, 223, and 7mm-08 all done on the 550. I think it would be too much hassle to mess with case feeder, shell plate, and primer system. I could be wrong but the 550 is the better bargain, IMO.

beauxdog

Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Ivan,

What both Ethan & Scooter have said is correct. Never having used the RCBS machine, I can't say how it preforms or how it is to convert. My feeling is the RL-550 is so easy to use and convert over that I feel it is one of the best machines you can get. The machine and one conversion cost $440 and you'll need a set of dies. Any standard dies will work, so if you have those already, then there is no need to buy more. To switch to a different caliber you will need a caliber conversion. This consist of a shell plate, locator button and powder funnel and they cost $46. They are caliber specific, so you will need on for each additional round that you reload for. Then there is what Dillon calls their Deluxe Quick Change kit, this consist of another powder measure, die block, powder die and stand for all of this. This holds everything together in one place and you won't have to adjust dies or the powder measure for another round. They cost $107 and are a time saver and worth it if switching back and forth.
    The RL-550 cannot be made to auto-index, this is one way they keep the machine so simple. You have to put a bullet on the case anyway, so move the sprocket after that, it really is simple.
    The cost of a new machine/conversion, with 2 additional conversions and Deluxe Quick changes will cost you about $750+tax. That's without any dies and if you have them already there is no need to get more. If we can help you anymore or if you need more information, call the store at 225-389-6077. We stock several of the caliber conversion and we try to keep the machines in stock as much as we can. We also try to keep a good supply of spare parts for the all the machines. Just like Glocks they do break from time to time.

Thanks,

Bryan Guillory
    Louisiana Gun
    12728 Jefferson Hwy.

Ivan

Oct 15, 2012
    Church Point, la
    Awesome, I thank you all for the responses. I think I'm Going to go blue. Now to decide on which one will suit my needs better. Again thank you all. Bryan, if I needed a part or anything for reloading do y'all mail out? Reason I ask is I'm by Lafayette and it's a drive if you know what I mean.

tactical723

3 Gun / F Class Player
    Feb 16, 2008
    Northshore - Covington, LA
    I have used RCBS, Lee in the past and have been using Dillon presses for the last 10 years. Had a Square B and 550. Sold all
    My other presses and now run multiple calibers on my 550. 5 min caliber change. Pay a little
    More now and pay less down the road. Dillon is the king and the best warranty in the US. Wear anything out and they will replace it. Best customer service around.

SendITDownRange

Jan 7, 2013
    My Town
    takes me literally about 10 minutes to go from one caliber to the next. and shorter when I dont have to change the primer size. RL-550 is the way to go unless you are doing 1000's at a time... Then the feeders would be nice.

Top Bottom