Proof of ownership

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    How do I prove I own a firearm if I have lost the bill of sale?
    What can I do to have proof of ownership?

Can anyone prove that you DON'T own it legally is the question. There's a little something called burden of proof that rests on anyone wanting to know. If they can't prove that you don't own it.......then you own it.

DuckYou

Angry Wiener
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    You posses it (as already said). It is a good idea to keep pictures with a record of serial numbers of all your firearms for insurance purposes. If you use an email service like yahoo or google, make the list and email it to yourself and save it in a folder.

atonguis

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Central, LA
    Not only does this stupid officer need to be fired, he needs to be jailed for threating a citizen. I might and I stress might could see some of his actions if the guy carrying a weapon was beligerent and hostile, but it is quite clear that this guy is totally passive. What an idiot, if he is married I feel so so very sorry for his wife and kids if he has any, because you can be assured he acts like that at home as well.

srscott

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    SWLA
    I would chalk that attitude up to S.A.S. The other cop didn't seem too flustered. He needs to be canned at the very least... ticking timebomb.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    NOPD was notorious for it, but it doesn't happen anymore. I've had several encounters with NOPD in the last few years (brake tags, tint that was actually legal, just silly stuff) and I've never had them ask for proof of ownership. In fact, all but one didn't even bat an eye when I informed them I was carrying. The one that did went by the book, removed my firearm, pulled the mag and chambered round and put them in the trunk.

To answer the original question...no, there's no way to prove ownership. Because there's no reason to.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    Guns = office chair = ream of paper = tube of sizing lube (even if you don't reload).

No matter what so-called men with quivering uteri want to make of them.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    You posses it (as already said). It is a good idea to keep pictures with a record of serial numbers of all your firearms for insurance purposes. If you use an email service like yahoo or google, make the list and email it to yourself and save it in a folder.

I can't even tell you how many I have never mind serial numbers and pictures...lol

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Can anyone prove that you DON'T own it legally is the question. There's a little something called burden of proof that rests on anyone wanting to know. If they can't prove that you don't own it.......then you own it.

Looking at the new world otter as LSP said, and what is to say the " man " can't or won't just charge you with stealing the gun and leave you with the bills. Somehow the NWO is making receipts sound better, except that if you have the receipt they'll call it phony. IMO, if someone agravates the po po there is not much to be done, just start spending money.

It's a good system except for the fact that one rouge cop can just really **** in our cornflakes...and usually with all the force of the "system " behind him.

Top Bottom