Props to JIMs' FIREARMS

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    I have never really been a huge supporter of Jims just never conducted a whole lot of business there. Well after be WRONGED so badly by HEBERTS GUNS in the past few months and then after Vince quit I had to find a new quick and easy location that offers smith work.
    Well I went into JIMs' twice this past week and they have been GREAT! NO shadowing sales people yet VERY helpful all at the same time. Yesterday while there I found a HIGH VIS sight for my XD and asked if they could install it guy took it straight to the back, I left for lunch and returned about 30 mins later with my XD looking bright and ready to go, only paid for the sight, the install was free with the purchase!! Great customer service and friendly staff!

Last edited:

Top Kek

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    nola
    i've never had any issues with jim's other than the prices, and even then, they're not that bad if you don't bring the internet into the picture.

Glock27

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    When I got my night sights put on my kimber they did it while I was browesing the store. Took about 15 minutes. Free with purchase.

lsufan1971

Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Zachary,La
    They quoted me a price to put in a wilson barrel in my 1911. It was way under what it was supposed to be like 3 times lower. When I went to pick up the gun they told me the guy who quoted screwed up what they were supposed to charge but were honoring the price anyway. What I like the best is most everyone in there knows the product and you don't get any BS crap that is off of the wall. IF they don't know they find out.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I'm glad yall like it. I've had some bad customer service experiences there. Including insults to my former employer. I will shop there if needed but I do try to avoid it

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    Concerning not doing transfers of guns they can get:
    If they have a "normal" markup (and I assume that they do since they sell a high volume of guns) then they should not mind doing a transfer and making $20 to $35 with essentially no investment other than 10 minutes of paperwork. Sure, they would prefer to make the sale but this is the age of the internet and a quick $20-$35 profit is good business. Plus, if there is a problem with a gun they don't have to mess with it. JMO.
    And I do like JIM's shop.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I like going into Jim's but the prices are a little high. If I can order it online, I will before I take a trip. I've found a few deals on ammo there before.

Usually I stop by on the way back from Cabela's or the mall.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Concerning not doing transfers of guns they can get:
    If they have a "normal" markup (and I assume that they do since they sell a high volume of guns) then they should not mind doing a transfer and making $20 to $35 with essentially no investment other than 10 minutes of paperwork. Sure, they would prefer to make the sale but this is the age of the internet and a quick $20-$35 profit is good business. Plus, if there is a problem with a gun they don't have to mess with it. JMO.
    And I do like JIM's shop.

I was about to spend $700 there, even had my paper work run. I asked to do a transfer on a used gun I was buying from a private party. I was told, that they would not do this. I took my business elsewhere and was charged $35 for running the paper work.

I buy local whenever I can as long as the price is fair. I don't usually mind paying a little ($50-$100 depending) more than what the cost at buds + FFL fees. This was a good deal on a used gun from a private individual. Their business, their rules.... I'm fine with that. I'll shop elsewhere.

ofcmetz

Dark Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I've had good experiences with Jim's. Good selection, not the greatest prices, but a couple of times they beat everyone else and I bought from them. I do love the store though with the huge handgun counter.

dep2386

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    When ever I come home on vacation, I like to stop at Jim's because he has such a wide selection of of high end 1911s. The only place I have ever found with a better selection is Collectors Firearms in Houston Texas

legg86

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    Tickfaw, LA
    I actually worked at Jim's for for a while, and can say every guy that I met there was great and as knowledgable as you can expect them to be. Jim himself is almost creepy with how much he knows about, well, anything really. Great guys to work with, great guys to buy from. The prices Are a little high, but that's because they have so much low volume stuff along with the higher volume items, that they have to make it up somewhere.
    best thing: IF Jim Doesn't have it, Bryan will get it. period. Everything I've ever wanted that isn't in the store, I just ask him to find it for me, and the prices on ordered items are very reasonable, much lower than you might expect.

legg86

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    Tickfaw, LA
    I also worked there several years back... when did you work there?

Early last year, My buddy Tom helped get me a job there while I was looking around. I worked there for a couple of weeks, but I live over an hour away, and told Jim the commute and traffic was just too much for me. He was actualy really cool about it, to which I'm very grateful for.

Witness

>Glock
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    baton rouge
    I swore off Jim's a number of years ago, however I try and support them now. I may have had a terrible isolated incident, or things have really changed there. Their prices are high but I don't mind paying $50 more for instant gratification.

Magpie

Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Aug 1, 2007
    Gonzales
    I was thinking about commenting on Jims after my trip there Saturday while waiting on my wife who was at a bridal shower in the area. I wasn't going to until now because I thought the thread would turn into a bashing thread but now I will comment on my visit. I initially entered the store and headed straight to the stock section and eventually browsed my way to the counter in the back. Upon approaching the counter I was asked by a very nice young man If he could be of any assistance whereupon I replied "just looking" to which he replied "yes sir, if there is anything you would like to look at let me know" Long story short, everyone that I spoke with was very attentive, eager to answer any of my questions and ready and willing to let me examine any gun they had on the racks. One of the guys even went into the back and retrieved a particular .22 that I had inquired about but was not on display at the time. He also was very well mannered and answered any of my questions or comments with "yes sir" or "no sir" where deemed appropriate. I left with my $3.98 each flip open scope covers, which they checked on the particular brand scope for me, that was retrieved from the display case, to assure they were the correct ones, feeling like I had just been to a very well ran and top notch establishment. Yes prices were higher than Cabela's on some stuff but comparable on others. I think I will go to Jim's more in the future instead of Cabela's just to support him and the quality place that it is. Maybe it's just me but I would rather that type of experience instead of leaving saying " man that took forever to even get someones attention much less look at anything or ask a question"

LouisianaRebel

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    yonder
    They won't ever talk to you about stuff they are not 100% sure about, thats what I love about that place. I transferred my AR from there and have looked at handguns alot, they never have bothered me or blown me off as not a potential customer like some places do.

Top Bottom