Pros and cons of a 1911 for a 1911 noob?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Waldowiseman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2023
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I figure pretty much everybody here knows more than I do about handguns. I've only owned a cheap Hi Point 9 and a Glock 9.

But something about a 1911 is attractive to me. I've literally never even held one.

What would you say are the good and bad points or if it's even advisable to buy one?

Thanks

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    I'm nearly 60 years old and just got me one. I think if it fits your hand and you are knowledgeable about guns and gun safety then go ahead, but do a little research on them and the different models. They are great guns and if you can't handle the recoil of the 45 ACP you could always get a 9mm version.

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I've owned 4 different 1911 models over the years, and I only have one left. The one I first owned. I'd buy a used one on here if you feel the need. Try it for a few months, and if so inclined, go forth and multiply. I loved the platform, don't get me wrong, but my tastes have moved to different areas.

gunnut

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    PA
    No, commander, commander bobtail, CCO models are more easily concealed than a Govt model, and there are LW models also so they can be carried in summer garb.
    Once you shoot one with a good trigger you'll be ruined for other platforms, a great trigger and you'll think you've died and gone to heaven.

Waldowiseman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2023
    Baton Rouge, LA
    No, commander, commander bobtail, CCO models are more easily concealed than a Govt model, and there are LW models also so they can be carried in summer garb.
    Once you shoot one with a good trigger you'll be ruined for other platforms, a great trigger and you'll think you've died and gone to heaven.
    I'm guessing the trigger can be changed out right?

gunnut

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    PA
    You can change just the trigger but to get a great feeling trigger includes working with the springs/sear/disconnector.
    Which can be done with the stock components.

SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    They are heavy and have a very low capacity for their size. There's a manual safety unlike some popular polymer pistols.

My cheap $350 1911 I just bought has a "good enough" trigger. They can have a really really good trigger. My glocks' stock triggers are perfectly fine and I can't out shoot them. For some reason I never cared how good stock triggers aren't. As long as the gun runs reliably if I carry it. It's just another tool for me.

I tried aiwb carying my full size 5" 1911 this evening and it wasn't too bad. The weight bothered me more than the size of it even though the bottom of the holster was resting on my dong most of the time. I prefer to carry the best pistol I can shoot and dress around it within reason. I think losing some size in my gut would benefit me more than a shorter barrel.

With that said, it's only money. Buy a cheap one. If you don't like it, sell it. The best thing I've done was take a defensive pistol class with an instructor to work on what I suck at.....which was pretty much everything.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I figure pretty much everybody here knows more than I do about handguns. I've only owned a cheap Hi Point 9 and a Glock 9.

But something about a 1911 is attractive to me. I've literally never even held one.

What would you say are the good and bad points or if it's even advisable to buy one?

Thanks
    Don't sell yourself short, there are a lot of ignorant people on this forum.

The 1911 is one of the best platforms for 45acp. It is flat, reasonably thin, and the grip fits the average male hand well. 8+1 capacity is not bad for the caliber, and if you move to a double stack 45 the size and weight increase noticeably.

I would suggest a commander model with an aluminum frame. 4.25 inch barrel, with the full length grip. Lighter than a full steel gun, still big enough to be reliable and easy to get a good grip.

pptpe45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Having owned a number of them, they are great weapons. Can be changed, I would leave that to a gunsmith. I have a Rock Island target model. Trigger is great. Sights are adjustable. Gun shoots better than I ever can. The cons may be the capacity but how many rounds do you realy need. I carry it or or my Para Ordnance LDA in a vertical shoulder rig with no problems, even in south Louisiana. T-shirt with one of the button down fishing shirts over it (unbuttoned of course). The recoil will be more than your 9 so if you can find one to rent or better yet have a buddy that has one, try it out first. I personally carry Glocks in .40 S&W so I don't have any problems with the ..45ACP

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    These conceal great… no prob here
    IMG_5293.jpeg

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Everyone here mentions recoil on it which again I might be the outlier again but the recoil of my 1911 is easier on me than the recoil of my M&P 9mm. Probably more of a pistol weight thing but the 1911 is more of a gentle shove where the 9mm feels more snappy to me.

I don't shoot my 1911 as much as my M&P but I like it and it has a place in my safe. Bonus is that the 45ACP shotshells also run well in it and it does the snakes really well with the bigger pellet size.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adgram1013
    Top Bottom