Protecting Property...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Not gonna chime in on the legal advice, but wasn't there a case recently with the old man and the shotgun on the phone with 911 who went outside and shot the two guys as they were fleeing robbing his neighbors home? The whole time 911 was telling him do not go outside?

GrumpyOldMan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Metairie
    you do have a responsibility for who has control of your guns. ;)

No we don’t that responsibility it's take away by THE LAW. If I go to my grandson's school I MUST leave my pistol in my truck. If I go to the court house I MUST leave my pistol in my truck. If I go to city hall I MUST leave pistol in my truck. Need I go on?

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Not gonna chime in on the legal advice, but wasn't there a case recently with the old man and the shotgun on the phone with 911 who went outside and shot the two guys as they were fleeing robbing his neighbors home? The whole time 911 was telling him do not go outside?

Texas, he was not convicted of anything. :)

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I've always been told to never fire a warning shot and never fire a parting shot (back shot as they run away).

Someone posted a link on here to a video walkthrough of the homeowner with the shotgun. Very interesting. I'm amazed he got away with it though. I think popular opinion saved him.

There was a case in Lafayette a few years back of a homeowner working on his hunting bow. He heard someone breaking into his truck. He grabbed his bow and a broadhead and pinned the guy to his truck through the shoulder. THAT was impressive!

Grumpy, I know how you feel...

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    I've always been told to never fire a warning shot and never fire a parting shot (back shot as they run away).

Someone posted a link on here to a video walkthrough of the homeowner with the shotgun. Very interesting. I'm amazed he got away with it though. I think popular opinion saved him.
    The intruder was still shooting as he retreated out of the house.

The home owner got a round in the arm and the intruder got some buckshot in the ass.

:)

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    There's so much grey area...I think it all depends on how you act. If someone's breaking into my car, and I put on a ghillie suit and climb on my roof with a rifle, yeah that might be a tough case. However, I could easily arm myself, walk outside and confront the criminal (ie "I heard a noise and went outside to check it out"), undoubtedly he will pose a threat at some point justifying defensive action.

Like at any moment, I could go to the ghetto and start calling everyone the N-bomb. Without a doubt, at some point someone would threaten and/or attack me so I pop three in their center mass to protect myself. Is it still self defense? How much does my overall influence on the situation matter in court?

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    The intruder was still shooting as he retreated out of the house.

The home owner got a round in the arm and the intruder got some buckshot in the ass.

Correction: The intruder didn't get buckshot in the ass.
    [YOUTUBE]eq39PlzENHk[/YOUTUBE]
    There's so much grey area...I think it all depends on how you act. If someone's breaking into my car, and I put on a ghillie suit and climb on my roof with a rifle, yeah that might be a tough case.
    Funny story...:rofl:
    Dead Garland Copper Thief Suspect Identified
    Business Owner Shoots, Kills 43-Year-Old Edward Hicky

A North Texas man is dead after a business owner decided to fight back against a recurring crime.

The Bargain Town Furniture Store in south Garland had been burglarized twice in several days and the owners were fed up. So the son of the owner decided to 'camp out' overnight on the store rooftop and wait for the burglar to return again and that's just what he did!
    :ninja:

On Monday parts of the air conditioning unit were stolen and the thief stole copper on Tuesday. When the burglar came back early Thursday morning 25-year-old Sonny Sheu was waiting with a gun.

According to Garland Police, patrols had been increased in the area.

When 43-year-old Edward Hicky came up to the rooftop he was shot in the chest. Hicky tried to flee the scene but collapsed in the grass near the parking lot and later died.

Officers arrived right after the suspect collapsed, Garland Police spokesman Joe Harn said. Then they noticed the owner with a gun. "Garland officers told the owner to drop his weapon and the owner complied right away," Harn explained.

Hicky's ex sister-in law said he didn't have much family support and was a 'lost soul'. "I hate the most for him that he died like that," said Donna Gonzalez.

Hicky reportedly had a criminal record in Garland and Dallas.

Police don't expect that Sheu will face criminal charges, but the case will go before the Dallas County Grand Jury.
    This happened back in July, and I haven't found any records or news articles of Sheu being formally charged, arrested, or billed.
    Only in Texas.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Awhile back I was involved in a deal where shots were fired during/after a burglary. I had a guy pointing a M4 at me but I didn't have a clear field of fire so I didn't shoot. When I could have loaded his ass full of 357Sig rounds he was going the other way and I wasn't going to shoot them in the back while they were getting out of Dodge.

But the license plate number I wrote down did send him and her to jail a few hours later. ;)

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    There's so much grey area...I think it all depends on how you act. If someone's breaking into my car, and I put on a ghillie suit and climb on my roof with a rifle, yeah that might be a tough case. However, I could easily arm myself, walk outside and confront the criminal (ie "I heard a noise and went outside to check it out"), undoubtedly he will pose a threat at some point justifying defensive action.

Like at any moment, I could go to the ghetto and start calling everyone the N-bomb. Without a doubt, at some point someone would threaten and/or attack me so I pop three in their center mass to protect myself. Is it still self defense? How much does my overall influence on the situation matter in court?

I think you would go to jail for provoking/instigating a riot; let me know when you are ready and I will bring the video camera and make you an instant youtube legend:rofl:

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    The Texas statue
    § 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is
    justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or
    tangible, movable property:
    (1) if he would be justified in using force against the
    other under Section 9.41; and
    (2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the
    deadly force is immediately necessary:
    (A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of
    arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the
    nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or
    (B) to prevent the other who is fleeing
    immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated
    robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the
    property; and
    (3) he reasonably believes that:
    (A) the land or property cannot be protected or
    recovered by any other means; or
    (B) the use of force other than deadly force to
    protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or
    another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, § 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974.
    Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, § 1.01, eff. Sept. 1,

dangermoney

C'est Chaud Peur Lot
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Gonzales, LA
    Awhile back I was involved in a deal where shots were fired during/after a burglary. I had a guy pointing a M4 at me but I didn't have a clear field of fire so I didn't shoot. When I could have loaded his ass full of 357Sig rounds he was going the other way and I wasn't going to shoot them in the back while they were getting out of Dodge.

But the license plate number I wrote down did send him and her to jail a few hours later. ;)

You did exactly the right thing. That was clear thinking on your part and while you were under stress to boot. I'm glad the incident turned out good for you.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    Yeah, I hear ya. They had that guy on a news special with whole 911 tape of him saying"I'm gonna shoot their ass." It was morbidly funny.
    "You here the shotgun clickin'?!?!

I'M GOIN'!!!
    YOU'RE DEAD!!!!

:bang: :bang::bang:"

:rofl:

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    As far as finding some one in your outdoor areas, I agree with the advice of confronting them and leave the ball in their court.

New Louisiana trespass laws allow you to take physical action to remove someone from your property, real or movable. You are allowed to start with as simple as verbal commands followed by light physical force, escalating as necessary.

DF is still justified to stand your ground anywhere you are legal to be.

Move them, and be ready for whatever comes.

Shooting over some steaks....??? No....but I get up at 4 in the morning to work and buy those steaks. Work 6 and 7 days a week to buy theose steaks,......all the while supporting crackheads and the terminaly lazy with an over bearing tax load.

So........would you shoot over that principle that U work for what U get and don't allow anyone to steal it ??

Jest one Dawgs opinion

Top Bottom