PSA: Auto Insurance during COVID19 - Read to save $$$

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    USAA used to be a great deal for military officers -- I've been with them since 1993 and it was a "perk" of being an officer.....then USAA opened the floodgates so everyone who's uncle thought about joining the peace corps could sign up. Rates are the same (or higher) as everyone else now because they have to insure a higher risk pool.

lefty

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Progressive & Geico. I've switched multiple times between the two, as well as other major companies.

Progressive originally offered me more coverage at the same rate as Geico, so I switched. Progressive rates increased over the years, so I got a quote for the same coverage from Geico and it was half the rate of Progressive.

It doesn't matter what company you go through, if you want to save money you will have to switch often.

FWIW, I'm now paying less than $200/mo for two vehicles with plenty coverage.

There are other benefits with sticking with one company other than trying. to find the low baller on premium. For example I have been with progressive over 10 years and have large accident forgiveness and that teen driver discount along with the good grades discount will come in handy in a couple years, my kid is 11 now.

Although I’m about to start shopping around now that my sons driving. I about puked when I got a quote for adding him lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This might be the only time I recommend shopping around it is very expensive to insure a young person as it should be (we were all stupid at that age). What might help you is to find a company that factors in driver usage. For example buy them a beater and just have liability and uninsured motorist on it, not full coverage. I know Allstate will let you divide what percentage which driver drives what vehicle. That way you aren't paying for him to drive the newer vehicles with full coverage.

Flood rates are set by FEMA. Your agent may have screwed up doing your app, or the zone may have changed and they didn't catch it, but that's not State Farm's fault.

Insurance is all about price until you need them. Then service and claims service becomes important. You just killed a pedestrian crossing a street, or rearended a family of 4 that is speed dialing their attorney at the scene... do you care that you saved $30 a month? Stop worrying about premium! Do you shoot a hi point? It's cheaper. Maybe not the best but it's cheap! Do you drive a kia rio? It's cheap! Nope... think about it and go find the company that gives you the best service day to day, because that's who is going to take care of you when things go wrong...

Do you have your agent's cell #? Or do you have an 800#? Can you call him right now? My clients can, and have, reached me 24/7/365. Think about it.

This is so true people coming in then complaining when the claim isn't going the way they want it to and they choose the lowest quote. btw you are a brave person to give your personal number out to everyone.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Although I’m about to start shopping around now that my sons driving. I about puked when I got a quote for adding him lol

Why add him specifically? I have USAA, and all of my vehicles are fully insured regardless of who is driving them. I kept my sons vehicle in my name, and insured it like the others. Me, she (wife), or he, can be the driver in any of them, and it doesn't matter.

What will matter is when you tell them you want to specifically add an under 21yr old to your policy!!!!!

I've been a very satisfied USAA customer since 1981.

Last edited:

cyclone1970

Oldie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Covington LA
    USAA used to be a great deal for military officers -- I've been with them since 1993 and it was a "perk" of being an officer.....then USAA opened the floodgates so everyone who's uncle thought about joining the peace corps could sign up. Rates are the same (or higher) as everyone else now because they have to insure a higher risk pool.

You are so right. I have had all of my insurance, mortgages and most banking with USAA since 1972. The claims that I have had with them, auto and homeowner, were all handled professionally and fairly, though the last one was for home damage after Katrina, some time ago now.

I felt that USAA offering insurance to NCO's, in addition to commissioned officers, was a very good thing and noticed no difference in quality of service then. I was not happy about opening the floodgates to, as you said so well, the "uncle who thought about joining the Peace Corps once", however. I have observed negative changes like the telephone customer service and somewhat less competitive pricing. I have not had any recent insurance claims so I hope that has not been affected in a negative way, though I am not so sure about that.

I hope NCO's qualify for the return of a portion of premiums/earnings via the subscribers saving account and ultimately the senior bonus if you have been with them (I think) over forty years- yes I have had a few birthdays, one of which is today, thank the Lord. That does count for some significant saving at the end of the year for me. I also received the notice regarding these few months of lowered premiums.

I will say that I am not trying to sell anyone on USAA as I have not shopped for insurance in years and do not intend to start now unless they really stick it to me somehow. I find the discussion interesting and informative anyway, however.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    There are other benefits with sticking with one company other than trying. to find the low baller on premium. For example I have been with progressive over 10 years and have large accident forgiveness and that teen driver discount along with the good grades discount will come in handy in a couple years, my kid is 11 now.

I've acquired accident forgiveness with Progressive and Geico in months. Perks of never having caused an accident.

My monthly insurance payment is low. I'd be surprised if I could get it lower.

Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    Why add him specifically? I have USAA, and all of my vehicles are fully insured regardless of who is driving them. I kept my sons vehicle in my name, and insured it like the others. Me, she (wife), or he, can be the driver in any of them, and it doesn't matter.
    I'm no insurance agent, but I don't think this is how it works. I thought any "licensed driver" living in your home or away at school must be added or specifically excluded. Occasional drivers are a different story.

Markmmg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    I had USAA for years and I decided to check around and Progressive ended up being less expensive.

jkingrph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2007
    USAA is my favorite insurance company.

Mine also. I have been with them since 1969 when they limited members/customers to Officers, Warrant Officers and service cadets only. I had just gotten out of USAF OCS, and was home on leave. I needed to get car off mom and dad's policy so dad took me to his insurance agent. He said he was only going to write me a short term policy and gave me some info on USAA, and said to contact them as soon as I could. His comment was that as an officer they could better serve me and that maybe someday he could do business with me. Never moved back home to do so but that was the greatest endorsement of a company I have ever seen. He literally told me to go with another company because of their service and reputation. He was not wrong.

My son was able to keep USAA since he inherited eligibility from me, and as a 44 years attorney has done so. He acutally works in the legal dept of an insurance company that deals in short term high risk policies and told me most of the employees at his company do not insure with their employer company due to extremely costly policies.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedactedUsername
    Top Bottom