Public Records Requests

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Do we have a law blocking that kind of thing in Louisiana?

It's a (Public) Permit.
    pardon.gif

CAB39

Slowpoke Rodriguez
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    South Louisiana
    From what I read, it sounds like they need a permit just to own guns. Then the permit states the type and amount of guns that they own. In Louisiana there is no record of the type or amount of guns we own. I have a CC permit. I did not have to own a gun to get that permit. Just my 2 cents!

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    I've wondered if there is a public notice when a person applies for a CHP.

I have some acquaintances with anger problems not obvious to the casual observer who shouldn't be around guns.
    :squint:

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    It's a (Public) Permit.
    pardon.gif

Should we publish all government records then, in lieu of the Freedom of Information Act? All restraining orders, social security numbers, tax records, driver's licenses and records, criminal records, etc?

Do you really think a woman who got a CHP days after her restraining order against a violently abusive ex-boyfriend wants that information pushed into the face of that unbalanced man?

You think she wants him 'warned' that she is suddenly trained and authorized to carry that weapon he never dreamed she'd touch?

I'd just as soon crotch-punch anyone who thinks such things are good ideas.

You can't make decisions based upon the 'average result' you have to think about the 'law of unintended consequences' here.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Should we publish all government records then, in lieu of the Freedom of Information Act? All restraining orders, social security numbers, tax records, driver's licenses and records, criminal records, etc?

Do you really think a woman who got a CHP days after her restraining order against a violently abusive ex-boyfriend wants that information pushed into the face of that unbalanced man?

You think she wants him 'warned' that she is suddenly trained and authorized to carry that weapon he never dreamed she'd touch?

I'd just as soon crotch-punch anyone who thinks such things are good ideas.

You can't make decisions based upon the 'average result' you have to think about the 'law of unintended consequences' here.

Your absolute ignorant assumptions amuse the hell out of me in many ways :rofl:

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    Feel free to 'enlighten me' :rolleyes:

ETA:
    To me, it's more about what is done with the list. Your average ne'erdowell isn't going to go through the trouble of cyberstalking you from youtube to figure out how to connect the dots. Your average ne'erdowell is not going to go through the trouble, even, of getting a FOIA request in to the local gubmint or police station to get the list themselves.

What such lists do is freely and openly invite attention and advertise all participants and supporters of a highly contentious topic which, I think, may be prone to drawing "crimes of opportunity".

What if there was a national registry of whether or not you are pro-life/pro-choice, or any of the other major giant personal and INCREDIBLY controversial topics that can cause out-right-rage in opponents?

Publishing such a list in the local paper smacks of inviting "hate" crimes and blacklisting.

I don't think information is public or free and nothing else. The level of difficulty that exists in obtaining some information protects it, despite it being public. Just think about how hard and confusing it is for some people to ever get a 4473 filled out, an FFL03 application, or what is involved in obtaining who a license plate is registered to? These are all open and freely available services and information and avenues that any normal citizen can pursue, but the little bit of hindrance in actually obtaining the goal serves as a filter that will impede the "opportunists" and not-that-interested. Whether intentional and by design or simply a by-product of bureaucracy, it's served to filter the wheat from the chaff, I think.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    From what I read, it sounds like they need a permit just to own guns. Then the permit states the type and amount of guns that they own. In Louisiana there is no record of the type or amount of guns we own. I have a CC permit. I did not have to own a gun to get that permit. Just my 2 cents!

I think you need a FOID just to buy ammo there.

HRBR1800

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Feel free to 'enlighten me' :rolleyes:

I don't think information is public or free and nothing else. The level of difficulty that exists in obtaining some information protects it, despite it being public. Just think about how hard and confusing it is for some people to ever get a 4473 filled out, an FFL03 application, or what is involved in obtaining who a license plate is registered to? These are all open and freely available services and information and avenues that any normal citizen can pursue, but the little bit of hindrance in actually obtaining the goal serves as a filter that will impede the "opportunists" and not-that-interested. Whether intentional and by design or simply a by-product of bureaucracy, it's served to filter the wheat from the chaff, I think.

Have you ever tried to get license plate info? I never had, but I have looked up boat registration for vessels under five tons (via LDWF). It is a bitch mostly because the people you deal with are all incompetent governement employees who refuse to cooperate with anybody lacking a badge.

Someone at the DMV told me that all license plates requests leave a record though, so you can see who has searched for your plate. I dont know if thats true. I am sure a different DMV employee would tell me the same thing.

Information that is supposed to be free and open is usualy not because you cant access it yourself. FOIA requests will frequently fail bc of the disinclination of the government works to expend much effort finding the material you are looking for. It can be very frustrating for anyone trying to access the records.

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    Information that is supposed to be free and open is usualy not because you cant access it yourself.
    Exactly my point.

The difficulties inherent in the system you have to use to access that information first hand is an -awesome- deterrent for casual interference.

If someone were to go and collect -all- that information in it's -entirety- about -everyone- then go and publish it periodically in the local paper on every stoop, gas station, and restaurant and bar... that's a HUGE shift in reality and the Law of Unintended Consequences will wreak havoc on society.

HRBR1800

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Yeah, but you cant collect it all bc of the volume of data and bc of the way FOIA requests are done. They make you pay for research and (god forbid they dont have digital files) copies.

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    Ok my comparisons were hypothetical to parallel why i think this is a **** plan to publish such data. Just because it is a "public" (debatable) permit means ****.

In this case it's a matter of the State Police handing over their database of registrants, which I bet you is in a form that is not terribly hard to transfer. The fee is also moot as there are some rich pricks who want to see anyone with a gun BURN and will pay for it without hindrance.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    Saw this on Fox news. Illinois state Attorney General ordered State Police to release a list of names of all permit holders.
    Do we have a law blocking that kind of thing in Louisiana?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ials-spar-order-make-list-gun-owners-public/#

Yes, LA has a law against this.

http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/newWin.asp?doc=97451
    (2) Any information in any application for a concealed handgun permit or any information provided in connection with the application submitted to the deputy secretary of public safety services of the Department of Public Safety and Corrections under the provisions of this Section shall be held confidential and shall not be subject to any public records request nor shall the information be considered as a public record pursuant to R.S. 44:1 et seq. The Department of Public Safety and Corrections shall not release any list of persons who applied for or received a permit for a concealed handgun pursuant to this Section. However, nothing contained herein shall limit or impede the free flow of information between law enforcement agencies, prohibit the department from releasing information necessary to perform the background investigation, or provide statistical information which does not identify individual applicants or permittees.

12secHemi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Alexandria, LA
    I remember reading on my application that some of my personal info may be made public if a permit was issued. I see no reason to be paranoid about that, have any of you Googled yourselves? I'm all over the internet anyways because of my involvement in the car show circuits. No big whoop.

Bringer au Boudin

Top Bottom