Public Service Announcement: NFA Gun Trusts

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    Notaries are not trained to draft documents. They are given a cursory overview of the law and allowed to act in a ministerial capacity in limited matters.

QUOTE]

Incorrect. I have studied for and taken the Louisiana Notary exam. It covers a wide variety of information, including documents. Louisiana's laws/codes are much different from any other state. My prep class was quite extensive and taught by a JD. The test was just as intense as when I took my state boards for my healthcare license.

That being said, I'd go to Joey ( JCCypress ) for any NFA trust documents.

Nathan Hale

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2014
    Louisiana
    There are excellent (non-attorney) notaries, and terrible (non-attorney) notaries,
    there are excellent (attorney) notaries, and terrible (attorney) notaries,
    (there are excellent attorneys, and terrible attorneys.)

Find someone who has experience (ask around) and has a competitive price (ask around.)

But, yeah, make certain the trust is correct as to "form and substance."

NH

Last edited:

djdig

F@ck Me Right?
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    Thibodaux, La
    My father is retired attorney 30+ years and he said all the trust examples that I was reading had too much information in it. He stream lined it to 7 pages of just Louisiana law, and the information, attachments that have to be in there and it was typed up in less than hour. He said this is something that should not cost to much from any experienced attorney unless they are just charging a extra fee due to the popularity of gun trust, etc...

Had it notarized 30 minutes later and sent in..no template just what needed to be in it.

djdig

F@ck Me Right?
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    Thibodaux, La
    I would never let a notary agent do anything but stamp my paper, the first chick we brought it too refused to stamp it because it "felt like a will". First off you are a notary, signing off that "I" who is signing this document is the actual person and "I" am aware of what I am signing. Nothing can go back on the notary, they are just there to verify signature and understanding of what is being signed. With that said, called the one near our house and it was stamped in 30 minutes.

Also, living revocable trust is more the term of what the lawyer will be making. NFA Trust, is just a term coined for shorter version of that, or another form of it.

johnnyastro22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2012
    I am interested in establishing an NFA trust and I've contacted JCcypress, I'll let post my experience.

The whole paper legal thing is not to my personal liking, but if I want to get the a suppressor the trust route seems to be the way to go.

ColbyLang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    Lafayette
    I had an attorney draft mine for in the ballpark of $300. Couldn't be happier. We actually did it via email. Once i read it over and approved it, I paid him and he sent me a hard copy. Once i had it signed and notarized, I scanned and emailed it back to him so he could have the signatures for his files. I have seen the "instant trust" crap here and on other shooting sights.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I had an attorney draft mine for in the ballpark of $300. Couldn't be happier. We actually did it via email. Once i read it over and approved it, I paid him and he sent me a hard copy. Once i had it signed and notarized, I scanned and emailed it back to him so he could have the signatures for his files. I have seen the "instant trust" crap here and on other shooting sights.

Yep! That's the process.

johnnyastro22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2012
    JCcypress is going to put together our NFA trust for $300. I've spoken to him and so far it seems as though the process should be painless.

As long as it works to get the suppressor I am after, I wonder how long this will ultimately take, I will update as the process moves along.

Top Bottom