Purchased: Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Ok so I got off work a little early and headed over to see Jay at sport optics for the viper 6.5-20x50. After arriving there there was a little problem.... The only mil-dot or bdc scope they had must have sold since this morning when I called. Just as I was thinkin about having him order one and I just come back; you could tell he was bothered by the situation. Well I will recommend everyone I can to sport optics and most definitely Jay!! After some help and crunch with Jay I am now the new owner or a Viper PST 4-16x50 in FFP secured on a talley 20 MOA base and low Burris Xtreme rings! A major jump put of budget but well worth it in my eyes! So thanks Jay for your great customer service and helping me out!
    ravy2u5a.jpg

ehazetet.jpg

sarasu7a.jpg

yqe2upa7.jpg

zymybuzu.jpg

6u9y2ete.jpg

Last edited:

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Ok I thought I was narrowing it down. Now every time I find an optic I think will be ok I read a review that turns me away!! I am trying to spend $300-350 on a scope. does NOT need to be illuminated or ffp.
    I would like a side focus and turrets (covered or open)
    I have looked at mueller, miller, konus, Nikon buckmaster, falcon, vortex, weaver, swfa and Burris. Some are out of my price range totally.
    Someone with some knowledge please chime in and help me out.
    I will not be shooting matches every month. This is just a long range hobby gun and I may shoot occasionally with some of you at palo alto.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    when i was looking for a new setup ritten suggested the egw base for an affordable quality option. i am pleased with it and have bout another since.

as for the optic everyone has their own taste. i like leupold as it is a good balance for my needs and price range, but your not going to find the features you want in that price range. i have a mueller apv on my 1022 that im pretty happy with for that use but don't know how well it would or wouldn't do at longer distances or on a larger caliber. pretty much everywhere ive looked/read people seem to be pleased with the vortex for quality/price. all that said optics are one of those things where you get exactly what you pay for so think about that when you spend the money. if you buy a $350 scope now and find it won't do what you want and then turn around 6 months/1 year from now and spend another $800 on something to replace it you are just throwing money away. you could save a little longer and buy better now and be able to do what you want or spend some now and waste time and ammo to find out that what you want to do and the equipment you have to do it with don't mesh up.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Just make sure that if you go with an aluminum base that you are using aluminum rings as well. Otherwise you will be hammering notches into your rail with each shot. EGW does make a decent base and rings for the money. What sksshooter is saying is dead on though. Buy once-cry once. In your price range you might want to look at the SWFA SS 16x fixed scopes. Tough as nails, decent glass and because it's a fixed power you don't have to worry about it being FFP or SFP. It's one of those types of scopes that even if you decide to upgrade later, it's good enough to keep as a back-up or put on another rifle. Yes, it's a fixed power, but you're wanting clarity in the mid-range competition game and will almost never dial back past 16x.

I have also had a Falcon Menace 4-14x44 which I thought was decent for what the price is. My brother now owns it and will be shooting it at the match this weekend if you want to come out and look at it.

Last edited:

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Thanks guys!! That helped out a good bit! I am gonna get the egw base. I was really thinking about that vortex or the sera but the fixed power is holding me back... And with the vortex it didn't have turrets. I hate looking at optics online it is almost pointless other than to read specs. I have about 2 weeks before my income taxes come in and may be able to bump up my budget on a scope to around $500 plus base and rings.
    Ritten I will be at the match tomorrow as long as nothing really important comes up. I'm gonna post a thread up later today or tomorrow to see if anyone wants to ride out there from this area as well and can just ride with me.
    SWFA has the buckmasters by Nikon on sale for $199 and the monarch for $299.
    The vortex crossfire is really enticing with the crossfire 2 at $209.00 and is a 6-18x44 AO but no side focus it is near the objective lens and I don't believe it has turrets either.

I find a lot of these scopes have a 1/8" moa adjustments.... Why?!? That is a bit overkill isn't it?

Last edited:

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Ok.
    So should I look for something for 1/4" 1/8" or mil adjustments?
    I have never used mil adjustments and I hear you are the resident master or the milrad system. But I have always wanted to learn since I already know the moa system.

aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA
    what are you using the rifle / optic for? Are we talking about a deer rifle? Target shooting? that would probably help us give you some better advice.

I personally prefer mil/mil myself... but to each is own. My only advice would be if you get a MOA reticle, get MOA turrets. Same for mildot.

If your looking for a optic with target turrets, getting an optic, rings and base for < $500 is a tall order....

I have this guy on a .22LR. It's great little scope for $300.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/59...mm-1-10-mil-adjustments-mil-dot-reticle-matte

If you can spend a little more, I'm pretty sure you'd be happy with this one too. I don't own one, but I do have a couple other Vortex products that I've been happy with.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/18...ments-mil-dot-reticle-matte?cm_vc=subv1598484

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    It will be used to shoot long range target for fun to get into it but I will see the occasional hunt. I have a base already.
    The vortex line Keeps drawing me back but u would like to check one out before I purchase. My goal here is to shoot up to 800meters regardless of target.
    The only reason I say turrets is that would be needed I thought for adjustments.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Well I just left cabelas while on break from class. They didn't have much other than their cool mark AR scopes. They had a 20moa base for my rifle made by Blackhawk but I didn't know if it was any good. It was $49.99 I figured I would be better off with just ordering an EGW. I Looked through a vortex diamond and it was nice for only $189.00 but was more of a hunting scope. There aren't many store local that have anything so looks like I will purchasing blind on the web as far as hands on and such.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    These are two I am looking at. And really considering.
    The thing I do not like is on the LR HS it has 1/2" adjustments for elevation...
    The Viper really has my attention having capped turrets and all. I don't know much about them but for the price difference I would think I would get more "bang" for my buck with the regular viper.

I'm not sure if I should go with their dead hold reticle as they have MOA adjustments or the mil dot reticle and just convert.
    Viper 6.5-20x44 (30mm)
    http://www.cstactical.com/Rifle-Scopes/Vortex-Optics/Viper-Series/Viper-6.5-20x44-PA-30mm-Tube.html
    Or
    The viper HSLR 4-16x44
    http://www.cstactical.com/Rifle-Sco...tex-Viper-HS-4-16x44LR-Dead-Hold-BDC-MOA.html

aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA
    These are two I am looking at. And really considering.
    The thing I do not like is on the LR HS it has 1/2" adjustments for elevation...
    The Viper really has my attention having capped turrets and all. I don't know much about them but for the price difference I would think I would get more "bang" for my buck with the regular viper.

I'm not sure if I should go with their dead hold reticle as they have MOA adjustments or the mil dot reticle and just convert.
    Viper 6.5-20x44 (30mm)
    http://www.cstactical.com/Rifle-Scopes/Vortex-Optics/Viper-Series/Viper-6.5-20x44-PA-30mm-Tube.html
    Or
    The viper HSLR 4-16x44
    http://www.cstactical.com/Rifle-Sco...tex-Viper-HS-4-16x44LR-Dead-Hold-BDC-MOA.html

The vortex I linked above is 1/10 mil adjustments. It's a midway exclusive, so I'm not even sure if Vortex has it on their website. You can probably find some Midway $35 dollar off codes and pick it up for 470ish.

Look at the SWFA SS Fixed and the 3-9x also.

I personally don't care for BDC reticles. My advice would be to either go MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA and learn to use it.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    The vortex I linked above is 1/10 mil adjustments. It's a midway exclusive, so I'm not even sure if Vortex has it on their website. You can probably find some Midway $35 dollar off codes and pick it up for 470ish.

Look at the SWFA SS Fixed and the 3-9x also.

I personally don't care for BDC reticles. My advice would be to either go MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA and learn to use it.

Ok thanks I will look into the midway exclusive and try I find a coupon if I choose to go that route. I spoke with Jay at sport optics. He says the bdc is used as a MOA reticle. It has the measured marks in the reticle.
    I do wish they had the one I like with the mil adjustments to match the mil dot reticle they offer

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Buying a scope to shoot to 800 without the ability of external adjustments is purposely handicapping yourself.

I am very sorry man but I don't understand? External adjustments?
    I think I am going with the
    Viper 6.5-20x50 hold over (moa) reticle talley 20moa rail and Burris extreme rings from sport optics... But I'm awaiting on a price for a pst 4-16x50 with the same base and rings. In mil/mil or moa/moa. I think I like the moa more since It is capable of .25" vs mil .36"

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I am very sorry man but I don't understand? External adjustments?
    I think I am going with the
    Viper 6.5-20x50 hold over (moa) reticle talley 20moa rail and Burris extreme rings from sport optics... But I'm awaiting on a price for a pst 4-16x50 with the same base and rings. In mil/mil or moa/moa. I think I like the moa more since It is capable of .25" vs mil .36"

If that is the scope you're going to use, then I would suggest getting the mil-dot. BDC reticles are a gimmick. Sure, it might work for a general rule of thumb, but what happens when you find that your rifle shoots the 155 palmas better than the 175smk's? Or you want to hunt with the 168 TSX and it flies entirely different than the 168 smk match load? Learning your dope is a very basic part of rifle shooting and you will find out after your first range trip when you're not just shooting off a bench at 100yds that your hold overs will change completely based on other variables. What Barney88PDC is saying is that turrets that are covered with caps are a hindrance vs turrets that are exposed. You WANT to be able to see what dope you have dialed.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    If that is the scope you're going to use, then I would suggest getting the mil-dot. BDC reticles are a gimmick. Sure, it might work for a general rule of thumb, but what happens when you find that your rifle shoots the 155 palmas better than the 175smk's? Or you want to hunt with the 168 TSX and it flies entirely different than the 168 smk match load? Learning your dope is a very basic part of rifle shooting and you will find out after your first range trip when you're not just shooting off a bench at 100yds that your hold overs will change completely based on other variables. What Barney88PDC is saying is that turrets that are covered with caps are a hindrance vs turrets that are exposed. You WANT to be able to see what dope you have dialed.

Ok thanks man. I will get the mil dot if i cannot get the pst in mil/mil
    I figured I can leave the the caps off when at the range if I cannot get the pst and limited to the standard viper line. I liked the HSLR but would like something less than a 1/2" moa elevation adjustment.
    But before I make my final decision I am going to check out that falcon you have Saturday. I really like the price it has for a ffp and in 5.5-25x50.
    Thanks again everyone for the help you have all made it much easier.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom