Quadrasteer vehicle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blakegill66

Don't tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Metairie
    So I have been seriously considering one for myself. I don't know anyone personally who has one so I am looking for anyone who happenes to have experience. And possibly interested in selling! Anyway let me know either positive of negative personal experiences.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    GM offered it on long wb trucks around 2002-2004; started as a $5k option later reduced to 500 to get rid of them. Only lasted a couple of years; Prob more trouble than its worth.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Car makers have been trying to make this gimmick stick since the mid 90s. I would run not walk away from any 4 wheel steer vehicle. I worked for GMC when they rolled out the quadsteer Denali fiasco. Just like .45 GAP and .357 Sig, quadsteer is an answer to a question nobody asked.

blakegill66

Don't tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Metairie
    Interesting thoughts from both of you. Well respected and considered to both. Have either actually driven one? Or anyone vieiwing for that matter?

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I drove one of the trucks years ago. Did'nt like it at the time but did'nt have time to get used to it either. It was just a test drive. I always figured they stopped making it for a reason too.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Yep, I've driven more than a few. I was a tech at GMC before, during, and after the craze. At first I figured it was nothing more than a gimmick until I encountered the "impossible" failure. (At least according to GM's engineers). A Denali pickup I was working on would occasionally keep the rear wheels at full lock while driving. When it did it to me I had to look out of the pass side window driving down the street! The truck was going sideways. I can't imagine this happening by surprise to an owner while pulling a 36' trailer! I went round and round with the engineer who basically told me that I was crazy/lying and it was impossible for the rear wheels to seize at full lock because they designed a huge spring inside the axle that would keep the rear wheels centered in the event of any failure. But when I asked him if the electric steering motor was strong enough to overcome the spring, what happens if the motor itself has a failure and locks up holding the spring under tension. He answered with a "uhhh", then silence, then "we'll get back to you"! End result was I replaced the entire axle, GM took the old one back to Detroit, and 4 wheel steering was gone the next model year, IIRC.

blakegill66

Don't tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Metairie
    Interesting, I have never thought about these kinds of issues. You make a very good case of cons outweighing the pros. I am convienced it is not worth the time I would have to put in to find one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eddie Landry
    Top Bottom