Question about CHP application...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magus8764

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2008
    ...specifically, the parts of it that need to be notarized. I have no problem with the release of medical/general info one, but the page about limited liability has me worried. I don't know how to properly translate legalese, but it reads to me as if I will be signing away my ability to sue any LEO/government employee, even if that person is 100% at fault for whatever I would be trying to be compensated for. I don't really see myself ever actually NEEDING to use this ability, but after reading a few horror stories about Katrina gun grabs and present-day gun-in-vehicle confiscations, I'd rather not give up my ability to fight for my property rights in the court of law if necessary.
    This is what bugs me:
    pursuant to R.S. 40:1379.3, agree to indemnify and hold
    harmless the state of Louisiana, the Department of Public Safety and Corrections, the Secretary and the
    Deputy Secretary of the Louisiana Department of Public Safety and Corrections, and any of its agents or
    employees, and any peace officer within this state, from and against any and all liability, claims, actions,
    fines or losses of any kind or nature, including costs and attorney’s fees, in any way arising out of,
    connected with or related to the issuance or use of my Louisiana Concealed Handgun Permit

'in any way arising out of,
    connected with or related to the issuance or use of my Louisiana Concealed Handgun Permit' reads to me like 'anything at all', seeing as how if I am carrying, anything I do is technically related to the CHP.

Am I translating this incorrectly? Or, if I am not, is there any way to apply and receive the permit WITHOUT signing away my ability to legally defend myself?

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Wow, I think you're the first person to actually read it.

I just happily signed everything, loaded up, and went about my business. I agree, compared to other states (Ohio, specifically), Louisiana's application is excessive. Ohio is one page front and back.

If you don't want to sign all that get an Ohio CHP.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    By law, all three of the affidavits included are supposed to go through an ex-officio (expensive, at the courthouse) notary. Unofficially, the LSP CHP unit seems to be processing them with a regular notary.

None of that ha any bearing on your right to defend yourself. The part you quoted means you won't sue them for trusting you with a gun if you do something stupid.

BTW, consolidating/eliminating those added forms are one of the stated goals of Louisiana Carry.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom