Question about LA law..

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ed7232004

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hi everybody I m new to this forum and new to louisanna.I have a question about the law over here in la.
    Hope I ll get an answer to this.
    Is it legal to draw a gun and not shoot the person??for example:if some some break in to my house and I just point the gun at him not shoot him and wait till the police to come.is it legal like that? Or once u draw u ll have to shoot no matter what?thanks guys

ryan

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Metairie
    Hi everybody I m new to this forum and new to louisanna.I have a question about the law over here in la.
    Hope I ll get an answer to this.
    Is it legal to draw a gun and not shoot the person??for example:if some some break in to my house and I just point the gun at him not shoot him and wait till the police to come.is it legal like that? Or once u draw u ll have to shoot no matter what?thanks guys

Is that question for real? No, you do not have to shoot once you draw. If you feel your life is in immediate and imminent danger, then draw your weapon, command a stop if allowed and go from there.

Summit_Ace

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    If in your house and person entered unlawfully,yes it is legal.

It is a good day when nobody gets shot:)

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    In Texas, you can brandish when done in self defense. I don't believe LA has a similar provision. But if you run a perp off without actually shooting, that's a good thing, and he's not likely to file charges against you.

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    In Texas, you can brandish when done in self defense. I don't believe LA has a similar provision. But if you run a perp off without actually shooting, that's a good thing, and he's not likely to file charges his surviving family isn't likely to file suit against you.

fixit for ya

ed7232004

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Well u know I jut wanted to be safe don't want to cause any problems . Why about if u were in the public and a guy try to rob u ? Can u tell him that u have a gun on u and draw it point at him in front of public? What are the chances for u to get in troubles since everybody see u pointing a gun to another person? By then should I call the police and let them know or I should just leave asap??thank again

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    As long as you don't announce. Just let the pointed weapon do the talking; don't say "I'll shoot you!" or "I'll kill you!". That's aggravated assault. If you point the weapon in their direction and say for instance, "Hey, I'd like to have a word with you." The previous two example statements are usually more or less assumed by the receiving party.

ed7232004

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    So what should I really do in front of public when the guy keep trying to come closer to me or being more aggressive ?will it be legal to draw and point at him not to come any closer? Can I point and tell him stay
    where u are and wait for the police to settle down?

geauxshootin

LA CHP Training and more
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Prairieville
    As long as you don't announce. Just let the pointed weapon do the talking; don't say "I'll shoot you!" or "I'll kill you!". That's aggravated assault. If you point the weapon in their direction and say for instance, "Hey, I'd like to have a word with you." The previous two example statements are usually more or less assumed by the receiving party.

WOW!! So I guess the jury opinion does not matter?

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA

Wow. Just wow.

You need to take a quality Concealed Carry class by someone who knows the law. There are several instructors on this board. Feel free to check out my website for class dates.

To answer your question. You do not draw a gun as a threat. You only draw it in situations where you would be legally and morally justified in using it. However, if the situation allows, and you give a loud authoritative verbal command like "Stop, I have a gun. Stop or I'll shoot" and he does stop, then you call 911 and hold him until the police get there. Or, if you draw it with the intent to stop the threat, and he just gives up and runs away, still stay at the scene and call 911. Him running away is much better than you shooting him on any day.

There is a lot more to your question than can be answered here, hence you should get training from a competent instructor.

Last edited:

ed7232004

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Wow. Just wow.

You need to take a quality Concealed Carry class by someone who knows the law. There are several instructors on this board. Feel free to check out my website for class dates.

To answer your question. You do not draw a gun as a threat. You only draw it in situations where you would be legally and morally justified in using it. However, if the situation allows, and you give a loud authoritative verbal command like "Stop, I have a gun. Stop or I'll shoot" and he does stop, then you call 911 and hold him until the police get there. Or, if you draw it with the intent to stop the threat, and he just gives up and runs away, still stay at the scene and call 911. Him running away is much better than you shooting him on any day.

There is a lot more to your question than can be answered here, hence you should get training from a
    competent instructor.

Well if u say it out loud in public.won't u scare all the people around u?and they might think that u are the bad guy ..

ryan

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Metairie
    Well if u say it out loud in public.won't u scare all the people around u?and they might think that u are the bad guy ..

If I were you, I would find the nearest good ccw instructor and take a one or two day class, it will be money well spent.

Top Bottom