Question about my slide release on my new Beretta PX4 SC

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TASSY5

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2014
    Kener, Louisiana
    Haven't shot it yet but have noticed the slide release is very hard to move to release the slide. Is this because it is new and hasn't been shot? Will it loosen up on it's own or am I having a problem I should be worried about?
    Now it does release but is very hard to pull down on to do so, would greasing or oiling the release assist it?

Thanks for the assistance.

Ijaw

Unknown Camper
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Bayou Tigre, LA
    Did you properly field strip, clean, and lube the gun after you got it? New guns often have excess grease and oil as a preservative and rust preventative.

Boudreaux

I B N AH DA
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Is it a slide release, or a slide catch. I always thought you should pull the slide rearward to its maximum point and then release into battery.

Scylas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    Baton Rouge
    It probably just needs to be broken in. I get the impression this is kind of a thing with Berettas in general, but I could be mistaken. I'd put some oil on that part just to make sure and speed it up, though.

TASSY5

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2014
    Kener, Louisiana
    It probably just needs to be broken in. I get the impression this is kind of a thing with Berettas in general, but I could be mistaken. I'd put some oil on that part just to make sure and speed it up, though.

thanks guys for the comments. I field striped the gun today. it was clean being it's new and hasn't been fired. Cleaned it and re-oiled it properly. Still a farily hard release but I will know better once I go shoot it and see if that loosens up the tolerances.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Technically speaking, that part in question is actually called a slide catch. You really don't want to make a habit of using that lever to release the slide. Some gun makers will actually discourage you from doing that. It's best to pull the slide rearward then releasing it as opposed to using the slide catch to do so. Repeated use of that lever could potentially bevel out the metal on the slide which could cause the slide to not lock back. Of course, it would take some time before that could ever become an issue but it is definitely possible for it to happen over time.

Last edited:

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    Technically speaking, that part in question is actually called a slide catch. You really don't want to make a habit of using that lever to release the slide. Some gun makers will actually discourage you from doing that. It's best to pull the slide rearward then releasing it as opposed to using the slide catch to do so. Repeated use of that lever could potentially bevel out the metal on the slide which could cause the slide to not lock back. Of course, it would take some time before that could ever become an issue but it is definitely possible for it to happen over time.

I don't understand where this myth comes from. My nephew was the first person I've heard that told me this.

Has anyone ever seen this happen?

From the Glock manual:
    4. After the last round has been fired, the slide remains open. Remove the empty magazine from

the weapon by pushing the magazine catch (19). Insert a new magazine and then either push

the slide stop lever (27) downwards (see photo), or pull the slide slightly backwards and allow it

to spring forwards. The weapon is now again secured and ready to fire.

UNLOADING

1. Remove

Here is the S&W MP series manual..
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/other/S&W_M&P_Pistol_Manual.pdf

Bottom of page 16 is where they tell you to use the slide stop.

Look, yank the slide back if you want to. It certainly won't hurt the weapon. Neither will using the slide stop/release. Not according to any manual I've ever read, and I read them for every weapon I've ever owned, or been issued.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I don't understand where this myth comes from. My nephew was the first person I've heard that told me this.

Has anyone ever seen this happen?

From the Glock manual:
    4. After the last round has been fired, the slide remains open. Remove the empty magazine from

the weapon by pushing the magazine catch (19). Insert a new magazine and then either push

the slide stop lever (27) downwards (see photo), or pull the slide slightly backwards and allow it

to spring forwards. The weapon is now again secured and ready to fire.

UNLOADING

1. Remove

Here is the S&W MP series manual..
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/other/S&W_M&P_Pistol_Manual.pdf

Bottom of page 16 is where they tell you to use the slide stop.

Look, yank the slide back if you want to. It certainly won't hurt the weapon. Neither will using the slide stop/release. Not according to any manual I've ever read, and I read them for every weapon I've ever owned, or been issued.

my opinion as well, awaiting more experienced rebuttal.

I've done it on the same gun for a decade, bazillions of times and if anything it locks back easier.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    There is no 100% guarantee that the slide will bevel out with repeated use of the slide catch.....it might never happen. However, you can't discount the fact that it could. It's two pieces of metal rubbing against each other under great pressure.....I'm sure there is going to be some kind of deterioration happening even in the most minuscule manner. Most folks might never experience this type of failure even under heavy use but the possibility is definitely there. Myth? Maybe. But then, the Saints weren't supposed to loose home games either.... even to a current lack luster team like the Panthers!

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    There is no 100% guarantee that the slide will bevel out with repeated use of the slide catch.....it might never happen. However, you can't discount the fact that it could. It's two pieces of metal rubbing against each other under great pressure.....I'm sure there is going to be some kind of deterioration happening even in the most minuscule manner. Most folks might never experience this type of failure even under heavy use but the possibility is definitely there. Myth? Maybe. But then, the Saints weren't supposed to loose home games either.... even to a current lack luster team like the Panthers!
    Don't take it as a personal attack. It's just as I stated. I have more than my fair shair of time on a trigger, and I have never heard this until a couple years ago when my nephew was telling me.

I'm no gunsmith or metalurgist, or alchemist or what not, but it seems to me that more than likely the slide will be made from harder metal than a slide stop/release. If something were to wear, I'd suspect it would be the slide stop/release before the slide. Just me thinking. I'm quite sure that when I trained with the M9, we used the slide stop/release as well. Not that the Marine Corps does everything right, but I just didn't get the memo on when/where somebody came up with that.

Anyhow, rock and roll the way you like.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Trust me, no offense taken. Just adding my .02 on these talking points. I have no actual experience with said possibility. I was advised a long time ago about it. Since then, I've always used the second technique.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I have a PX4 issued to me, and I use the slide release thing.

I don't grab the slide and pull it to the rear to send the pistol into battery because if I grab the slide and accidentally active the safety, I would then have to de-activate it. That's not something I want to do when I need my pistol to be sending rounds downrange.

I do not use the slide stop on my Glocks.

As far as the slide getting damaged by the slide lock/release, I've never heard that before. That sounds like gun shop counter/barber shop DERP BS.

JR1572

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Guns with double recoil springs tend to be a little bit more difficult to depress the slide stop because of the added tension from the two springs, I'm guessing. Don't know if that's actually factual but it seems to make sense.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom