Question about pinned gas block

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seadonist

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    River Ridge,LA
    Can a pinned gas block be removed and replaced with a non-pinned gas block with set screws? I’m asking because I picked up a DD barrel with a pre installed pinned gas block but I want to install a Superlative Arms adjustable gas block.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seadonist

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    River Ridge,LA
    Took a punch to it this afternoon and got it out pretty easily. I’ll post how it turns out once the Superlative Arms arrives

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    @Seadonist

Best to install the gas block, get it where its properly aligned on the barrel, then remove it and dimple the barrel slightly with a drill bit. This will prevent the gas block from ever rotating or moving on the barrel once assembled and tight. They make a tool for this (which I have, indexes off gas port) but if you have the gas block properly aligned/positioned and tighten the setscrews, then remove the gas block, the setscrew tips will mark the barrel. Leave a slight indentation or mark in finish (sort of small circular). Use a punch and hammer to mark location for drilling/dimple. Just dimple barrel for one of the setscrews, and use a drill bit smaller than setscrew threads or OD. Most instructions tell you to dimple the setscrew closest to the barrel shoulder, or farthest from the muzzle end. A drill press makes this easy, but a solid bench vise to hold barrel and a hand drill can accomplish it too after center punching. You just want to create a shallow dimple to locate the setscrew tip, like approx .030" deep. Also apply red Loctite on final assembly to the setscrews. Do not overtighten the small setscrews.

This is why the two taper pins on the old A1 or A2 FSB both locate the GB, and make it pretty much bomb proof. Geiselle drills their low profile gas blocks and inserts a rolled pin in addition to the setscrews on their Super Duty rifles from their factory.

Seadonist

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    River Ridge,LA
    Thanks Jon. The gas block that was installed on the barrel sat up against the wall of the portion of the barrel that is stepped down so I assume (hope) that the new block will sit against it as well and line up properly along the horizontal plane. If that’s the case I’ll only have to worry about lining up the port vertically. Thanks for the tips on drilling the dimple for the set screw. I’m having a gunsmith pin/ weld a muzzle device on the barrel so I may have him set the gas block as well.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I’m having a gunsmith pin/ weld a muzzle device on the barrel so I may have him set the gas block as well.
    That's a good call seeing how he will weld the MD to the barrel anyways. .020" dimple depth is better after giving it more thought. Just a shallow dimple.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    @Seadonist

Best to install the gas block, get it where its properly aligned on the barrel, then remove it and dimple the barrel slightly with a drill bit. This will prevent the gas block from ever rotating or moving on the barrel once assembled and tight. They make a tool for this (which I have, indexes off gas port) but if you have the gas block properly aligned/positioned and tighten the setscrews, then remove the gas block, the setscrew tips will mark the barrel. Leave a slight indentation or mark in finish (sort of small circular). Use a punch and hammer to mark location for drilling/dimple. Just dimple barrel for one of the setscrews, and use a drill bit smaller than setscrew threads or OD. Most instructions tell you to dimple the setscrew closest to the barrel shoulder, or farthest from the muzzle end. A drill press makes this easy, but a solid bench vise to hold barrel and a hand drill can accomplish it too after center punching. You just want to create a shallow dimple to locate the setscrew tip, like approx .030" deep. Also apply red Loctite on final assembly to the setscrews. Do not overtighten the small setscrews.

This is why the two taper pins on the old A1 or A2 FSB both locate the GB, and make it pretty much bomb proof. Geiselle drills their low profile gas blocks and inserts a rolled pin in addition to the setscrews on their Super Duty rifles from their factory.
    I remember when I made that statement and certain members had a meltdown (using the block to make the dimples). Thanks for posting.
    I made this work quite a few times without the tool but I also have a few now. Super easy if you have a block with 2 set screws. Lock it down with one and use the right bit to start the dimple on the other hole without marring the threads. There is a difference in the bit used with the tools but either will definitely get it done. Especially considering the amount of play you have between the gas port in the barrel and the hole in the block.

Last edited:

Danny Ross

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2022
    Bush, LA
    I had to look up what a gas block is. Then I saw it had to do with an AR 15, which explains why I had never heard of it.

Seadonist

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    River Ridge,LA
    I remember when I made that statement and certain members had a meltdown (using the block to make the dimples). Thanks for posting.
    I made this work quite a few times without the tool but I also have a few now. Super easy if you have a block with 2 set screws. Lock it down with one and use the right bit to start the dimple on the other hole without marring the threads. There is a difference in the bit used with the tools but either will definitely get it done. Especially considering the amount of play you have between the gas port in the barrel and the hole in the block.

Thanks Magdump

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Alfred92
    Top Bottom